Fable 2: The Lost Fun

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
To start, I would like to apologize for the title...

Ok, so anyways last weekend after beating Fable 2 AGAIN, I couldn't shake this lingering feeling of dis-satisfaction. So, I decided for the first time in a couple of years, to crack open my copy of Fable: The Lost Chapters.

My niggling feeling of unfulfillment instantly died, and dragged itself into a corner where It couldn't obscure the blinding white light gleaming from my television screen after putting in Fable. After only a few hours of play, I was gently grabbed by the hand and lead through an amazing world of interesting, and compelling characters, awesome weapons, challenging battles, awesome armor, and a moral choice system that had me torn the entire time.

If it isn't clear I liked the first Fable (The Lost Chapters TM) more than I liked Fable 2. I'm not saying that the first Fable didn't have alot of flaws, but even with them, it still burries, Fable 2 in a pile of shame and, and self-hatred, in comparison.

I think it's better because to start, your main character doesn't look like he just came from a labotomy, and actually looks cool. The first one was also a lot darker, and more immersive, and most of the characters (or at least the ones that were supposed to) actually endeared themselves to me. Whereas, in the second one I had to show restraint just not to kill them.

Back onto the subject of Fable 1 being darker, in the second one, I was constantly being pulled out of the immersion, by Lionhead's lingering presence throughout the game, with over-bearing attempts at humor, and complete re-imaginging of enviorment. In my opinion, the in game character interaction wasn't good in either of them.

I'll be listing a few other points later on in the thread, but the bottom line is: I think that Fable 2 was a step backwards for the series, and I'm worried about where it's headed...do you concur?

EDIT: I already made this thread, but it only got one reply...but I've added a poll to justify my double-postage.

EDIT 2: Ok, nevermind there is no poll...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
EDIT: I already made this thread, but it only got one reply...but I've added a poll to justify my double-postage.
And this makes me hate you just a little bit more. Perhaps the reason no one responded was because they weren't interested in discussing the topic you brought? In which case, repeating the thread a second time is entirely unnecessary as people still probably aren't too interested in it.

No matter, don't post duplicate threads.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
Fable 2 never got my support because they chose not to release it for PC, and I am primarily a pc gamer. I will say this for the original though, I have played it through three times in the time I have had it, and it was a real gem.
I still can't get over running around with the "pimp hat" on everywhere after completing one of the strangest and most sexually oriented side quests I have ever had in a game that wasn't released exclusively in japan that I managed to get my hands on.

Gado911

Apr 17, 2009
Very tr
ExaltedK9 said:
To start, I would like to apologize for the title...

Ok, so anyways last weekend after beating Fable 2 AGAIN, I couldn't shake this lingering feeling of dis-satisfaction. So, I decided for the first time in a couple of years, to crack open my copy of Fable: The Lost Chapters.

My niggling feeling of unfulfillment instantly died, and dragged itself into a corner where It couldn't obscure the blinding white light gleaming from my television screen after putting in Fable. After only a few hours of play, I was gently grabbed by the hand and lead through an amazing world of interesting, and compelling characters, awesome weapons, challenging battles, awesome armor, and a moral choice system that had me torn the entire time.

If it isn't clear I liked the first Fable (The Lost Chapters TM) more than I liked Fable 2. I'm not saying that the first Fable didn't have alot of flaws, but even with them, it still burries, Fable 2 in a pile of shame and, and self-hatred, in comparison.

I think it's better because to start, your main character doesn't look like he just came from a labotomy, and actually looks cool. The first one was also a lot darker, and more immersive, and most of the characters (or at least the ones that were supposed to) actually endeared themselves to me. Whereas, in the second one I had to show restraint just not to kill them.

Back onto the subject of Fable 1 being darker, in the second one, I was constantly being pulled out of the immersion, by Lionhead's lingering presence throughout the game, with over-bearing attempts at humor, and complete re-imaginging of enviorment. In my opinion, the in game character interaction wasn't good in either of them.

I'll be listing a few other points later on in the thread, but the bottom line is: I think that Fable 2 was a step backwards for the series, and I'm worried about where it's headed...do you concur?

EDIT 2: Ok, nevermind there is no poll...
So very true.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Amnestic said:
And this makes me hate you just a little bit more. Perhaps the reason no one responded was because they weren't interested in discussing the topic you brought? In which case, repeating the thread a second time is entirely unnecessary as people still probably aren't too interested in it.

I thought it was interesting enough, and I intended to bring something new to the table with this double-post. The poll somehow got left out during my revisions. So it isn't really a duplicate thread, just consider it an update, or a continuation...if you will.

I suspect the reason my first one skipped under the radar was because I posted very late into the morning...nothing really gets much attention then.

Somehow I knew that somebody was gonna go straight for the last statement I made in my OP, and if you are just here to troll, or discourage any real discussion, then don't spam my thread.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Fable 2 was terrible. They changed so much to get the casual gamer pie that it killed the fun for the established fanbase. Id trade in my Fable 2 without a second though, but I will never get rid of my Fable: The Lost Chapters copy.

Apr 28, 2008
I always find it funny how before Fable 2, everyone was saying "hopefully it won't suck and be full of broken promises like the first Fable.

And now Fable 2 is out people are always saying how great the first one was.

It both makes me laugh and pisses me off at the same time.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Amnestic said:

Sadly I'm going to have to agree.

But anyway.. I liked fable 2 it was nice and liked how it played and I love that dog. I always try to make a diffrent wish,but I always go back to picking the dog.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Irridium said:
I always find it funny how before Fable 2, everyone was saying "hopefully it won't suck and be full of broken promises like the first Fable.

And now Fable 2 is out people are always saying how great the first one was.

It both makes me laugh and pisses me off at the same time.
It's like every fanbase ever. I find no surprises here.

Straitjacketeering

Jan 3, 2009
crooked_ferret said:
Fable 2 never got my support because they chose not to release it for PC, and I am primarily a pc gamer. I will say this for the original though, I have played it through three times in the time I have had it, and it was a real gem.
I still can't get over running around with the "pimp hat" on everywhere after completing one of the strangest and most sexually oriented side quests I have ever had in a game that wasn't released exclusively in japan that I managed to get my hands on.
The moment I got the pimp hat I didn't take it off for the rest of the game, it was the sweetest hat ever.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Fable the lost chapters had so much. Fable 2 could have had so much more, and yet.... it is as it is.........

LordGarbageMan

Jul 24, 2009
The only problem I had with Fable 2 was the extremely short story and the absence of a boss battle at the end.

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
I never played the first but the second was fun...for about a week or two. Then I got bored. Though I still want to play the first just I'm sure I missed some inside joke i would only understand if i played the first.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
TeragRunner said:
I never played the first but the second was fun...for about a week or two. Then I got bored. Though I still want to play the first just I'm sure I missed some inside joke i would only understand if i played the first.
If only you knew...

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:
Amnestic said:

Sadly I'm going to have to agree.

But anyway.. I liked fable 2 it was nice and liked how it played and I love that dog. I always try to make a diffrent wish,but I always go back to picking the dog.
Try reading the entire thread before posting.