Fable: The Lost Chapters

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I much prefer Fable 3, really. The only thing the first Fable did better was it had more Demon Doors (although Fable 3 had a better payoff behind each one).

Plus, the first Fable had a ridiculously dark undercurrent that I don't think was supposed to be there and no one else seems to notice. Walking through the forest with no-one around actually gave me a mild panic attack. It wasn't a lot of fun. The only time that same weird undercurrent happened in Fable 3 was around Sunset House (as in, even before you enter it). Sunset House is my least favorite section because of it.

(I haven't played Fable 2 because Microsoft are still massive tools and won't release it on PC.)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
As people said, it's a great game. The only reason you would play the original over the Lost Chapters is because in the original, the Sword of Aeons kicked so much ***. They had to nerf it in Lost Chapters because it made the new Lost Chapters content way too easy to beat. So really, since it is generally considered to be the best Fable, I'd say it's worth a playthrough IMO.

#BringBackTheSwordofAeons

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Seems like OP has a stigma against action RPGs. Guess he wouldn't like Diablo, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, or Dark Souls.

Having played all the main games in the series, Lost Chapters is the best of the lot. Combat is technical and satisfying compared to the streamlined systems in Fable 2 and 3. The world is very detailed for a sixth-gen console title. There's a big variety of expressions that you may use for any occasion. The story doesn't beat you over the head with humor like in Fable 3. Except for a lighthearted joke here and there, it's mostly played straight. Very dark actually if that's your thing.

More important is the amount of spells you may acquire in the game. Many have their own unique twists, and all of them have at least some practical use. The variety allows tons of different options to handle fights, whether to attack with lightning or summon allies, boost your melee or range attack, or call down orbital strikes.

Yes. Orbital strikes are a thing in this game.

I do not think much of the sequels, but I loved the first game. Can't wait to see how they handle the remake.

lacktheknack said:
Plus, the first Fable had a ridiculously dark undercurrent that I don't think was supposed to be there and no one else seems to notice. Walking through the forest with no-one around actually gave me a mild panic attack. It wasn't a lot of fun. The only time that same weird undercurrent happened in Fable 3 was around Sunset House (as in, even before you enter it). Sunset House is my least favorite section because of it.
I love that dark undercurrent. Greatwood, Darkwood, and Knothole have to be some of my favorite environments in a game. Really gives that feeling of isolation, and coming across bandits or meeting the random trader feel like events in and of themselves.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
idarkphoenixi said:
Well it's the best Fable of the series by far. Although my opinions on Fable 2 & 3 were never high to begin with.
Yup. The first Fable was the only one worth playing, with or without the "Lost Chapters." 2 was so bad that I didn't bother finishing it. And I certainly wouldn't touch 3 after the disaster that was 2 but I've heard it was utter dogshit.

Anyhow, Fable's charm comes from what the artists and composers were able to achieve in creating the game's world. I've typed this before and it's bears repeating: Fable is like Trina Schart Hyman and Danny Elfman made a video game. The Grimm fairytale atmosphere is so spot-on that despite the average gameplay I was excited for sequels.

Excited for sequels? Well fuck me straight in the ass, I guess.

And yes I know Elfman did, in fact, write the man theme, but his sound is everywhere in this game. In fact, I'm pretty sure all of the music was primed off of the main theme and intended to be Elfmany.

Anyhow, it's a damn shame nobody took a fairytale RPG to the next gen. Here's hoping for the next next gen, or whatever.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh, it was definitely fun the first time around, but I found it very easy to burn out on and I seem to recall the main quest tending to default to 'good', to the ire of evil players (Made little difference to me though, I never really play evil characters). From what I can recall of it, it has definitely aged, but I'd say it's aged at least somewhat gracefully (Can't verify though. I lost the game some time ago).

Yahtzeefan34

Jun 18, 2013
I loved Fable: The Lost Chapters. though there were some annoying fetch quests, it was a very good game and I hope to finish my 5th play-through sometime soon.