Facebook Buys The Escapist for $90 Million - Update

Blitzing

Jan 12, 2014
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
Stuff had better not break...

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
THIS IS APRIL FOOLS. DON'T CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

... I'm still not submitting to the social network overlord. Next we know, suddenly the Escapist becomes the next location for gaming for Facebook. But let's not think too much about that.

Sara Bonner

Apr 1, 2014
Excuse me? EXCUSE ME?!? That is unacceptable. Escapist is worth far more than $90 million dollars. Shame on you for not holding out for at least 2 billion. Shame. On. You. XP

Happy April fools guys.....

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Well played, seriously well played.

It is after 12 in Australia though, so you're the fool :p

Captcha: more internets - depends what kind of 'internets', captcha...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
"Cream-filled compassion"? I think that's the first time I've read or even heard those words in that specific combination.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Despite knowing what day it is and dreading fake articles, I had a good chuckle reading that. I also appreciate how committed you guys are to that joke with the update.

You sellouts you. :p

FizzyIzze said:
"Cream-filled compassion"? I think that's the first time I've read or even heard those words in that specific combination.
Well, not in a sexual way at least.

...Too much?

Door's over there, right?

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
See, this is the kind of April Fool business venture that I can agree with.

Pretty harmless in comparison to many others that you see today.
FFS I just realized what day it is. Wow I feel like an idiot.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
[insert slow clapping here]
Well played, Escapist. You would have completely fooled me if you had followed through on the layout change, or were bought out for way less than $90 million, like a GameStop gift card.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Yes! I finally food my April first post! I've been waiting all day for my favorite online media distributors to deliver!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SuperSuperSuperGuy said:
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords.

That aside, I generally hate April Fool's day, but I actually quite liked this little joke. It's nice and topical, if a little... Well, I don't want to say unoriginal, but there've been a lot of jokes like this today.
In fairness, I doubt they sat around looking at what other people wrote.

bdcjacko said:
I would have believed it more if the escapist was bought by Facebook for $90.

Naw jk, you would totally get bought for 100 even.
Don't be insulting. They're easily worth twice that.

Gorrath said:
Good one, Escapist staff! You had up until "the Rolling Stone" of game journalism and I nearly spit my tea all over the monitor. My monocle did pop though. Good show!
Maybe it's just because I'm like 60 years older than the average user here, but I went the other way. I associate Rolling Stone with its period of decline into irrelevance and thought "Oh, come on, they're not THAT bad!"

I guess the mag is somewhat relevant these days, but I never picked it back up and still think of it in those terms.

Grenge Di Origin said:
1. Don't make it blatantly obvious
2. Make it actually sound like it's likely to happen
3. Don't have it coincide with events that only happened less than 2 weeks ago
I thought 3 was what made it enjoyable.

Also, I don't think 1 applies. It's April Fools. Pretty much anything is blatant. And likely is relative due to the recent news.

Brian Tams said:
April Fools jokes are only good if you're going to fully commit to them, esccapist.

Come on! Where are the intrusive adds, the popups, the autoplaying... ads... the... uh... ummmmmm.... shoddy videoplayer?

Well, this is awkward.

EDIT: Hey, at least you don't require us to sign in exclusively through our facebook accounts yet. Yet.
They were also conspicuously missing homophobic slurs and death threats.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
ThyNameIsMud said:
ImNotAScammerGuys said:
Sup guys check this out if you want to buy cheap games and let me make som Cash :p its not SCAM!
It's not a scam, and I'm not going to ban him. Today is a great day.
The facebook thing was good for a chuckle, and so was this. Thanks guys.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Sorry escapist:) I was mentally prepared for April fools' day. For the entire day I refused to believe anything I read.
On my site we sat the interface back to the early 90'ts with a screaming blue background, burning type fields, ASCII graphics and spinning logos. People though we had lost our minds. I can proudly say we fooled a good number of our members.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the joke showed up on april 2nd for me. yay timezones?

Though, to be honest, if they were to try and buy it they would either buy Themis Media or go whole nine yards and buy alloy digital. Not that i can see even facebook crazy enough to pay a cent for smosh.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The point of April fool's jokes is for everyone to laugh in the end and not to tell us the site will get some really really needed improvement and then only you laugh because we know it will never happen.