Facebook Buys The Escapist for $90 Million - Update

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Lisa Foiles also had something to say. One of her top five comments on the purchase was: "Everyone should prepare for a new layout change and tons of 'Which Escapist Content Creator Are You?' quizzes in their news feed. I get that Miracle of Sound guy every time. Which is weird because I'm not even Australian."
Guys that's not on, Lisa is far too smart to call the Miracle of Sound guy Australian, everyone knows that he's Scottish.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I was ok with this until the layout talk entered the field. Then I raged for a nano-second before remembering the date. Got me ever so slightly.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
$90 million? I bet Tito would have settled for a signed copy of Dragon Age III.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
If only they really would have... Facebook doesn't have overzealous admins and ridiculous rules about talking about what browser addons you like to use.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
CriticKitten said:
theApoc said:
Please do something that is a little believable next time. :p
Pretty much this.

Facebook has no reason to buy this site (as, unlike Oculus Rift or any of their other acquisitions, this site would offer them no financial value for the investment), much less for the absurd amount listed. If you fell for this joke, you'd have to be awfully gullible.
Well, it depends on if they want to diversify their holdings like this article implied. One thing corporations do is gobble up multiple companies just to sit on them and their content in case it comes up later. What's more it's always possible they might do it simply to get a hold of someone like "Yahtzee" through their contract depending on what the terms are, if they had a specific use for him. Part of the joke that pushed it too far was them "transitioning" everything value that could be gained from the site. Unless of course they specifically wanted to silence criticism coming from this direction, but The Escapist hasn't done anything to warrant a "we must silence it at any costs" acquisition.

In short I could think of situations, albeit highly unlikely ones, where it could happen under the right circumstances.

Also to be honest I'm not entirely sure how big Themis Media is, they apparently pay Yahtzee enough where he apparently does this to support himself full time (or so it sounds from his comments) and he apparently made enough money to open his own bar. The Escapist also seems to be relatively famous in the circles of geekdom. One would think if Zuckerberg was going to throw 90 million at something like this he'd be after Penny Arcade, but The Escapist is probably more vulnerable to a buy out of this sort. In short while I might get the wrong impression, simply looking at Yahtzee's claims I get the impression The Escapist is probably going quite well if they are able to pay him enough for a couple
of weekly features that he can support himself and run a bar as a hobby.

In short I think it was a fine joke, absurd, but enough to make you do a double take, and then laugh at the details as it's also mocking these kinds of buy outs by making it apparent that if things went down this way they would be buying The Escapist while stripping away any of the assets and contracts that might actually make it worth having.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Fun Fact: This April Fools joke was far more believable when stumbled upon on April 5th having somehow not noticed it for the past four days. With my April Fools skepticism used up earlier in the week, this article actually made me believe... until I hit the prototype images at which point I thought to check the date.

Weirdly, the quote from Graham actually helped sell me on it. Well played.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Oh man, think of all the horrible changes that will happen now that Facebook is in charge. Ads plastered all over the place with auto-playing videos. Click-bait articles and I bet they'll even put a few sponsored stories in the news column.

Facebook buying the Escapist is truly an atrocity.
i c wat u did there

In all honesty, though, the little tidbits from everyone in the article were amusing. Shame Yahtzee didn't get to throw in a line too, although I imagine he couldn't on account of the brain hemorrhage he would suffer if this actually did happen.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dammit, I turn my back for one little convention and-

*Reads date*

Ohhhh.... Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.... Clever. Cle~ver. You won this round, Escapist.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Damnit guys, I saw this topic today since I haven't been on the Escapist in something like 2 weeks and I was just about ready to cry/rage until I saw the date it was posted on.