Facebook Comment integration with the website

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Well hello there! Thanks for stopping by. I'm assuming you've noticed the fancy new Facebook comments at the bottom of content as of late. Personally, my first feelings were rage, and hate (because that is what I do, I hate), but then I found peace of mind.

Profile > "Profile and Options" section > Forum and Notification Options > "Other Options" section > Facebook Comments > Disabled > Update Forum Options --> *sigh*... So much better.

Now if I could only find the button that takes me back to the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/issue_pdf>good ol' days and clears these <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/362-Forum-Games-RP>**** kids off my lawn.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Heeeeeey. The good old days sucked! I had to sell sickly cows on the streets to pay for my medicines!
And half the time, they gave me horrible indigestion!

I think you're just jealous of the stupid fun that is had in some of those games ;P

If I was irked enough by the facebook thing showing up, I suppose this would be helpful.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I won't be using them. I don't want my family to be seeing every thing I say here, just as much as they don't want to be seeing my ramblings about video games and the random news blurbs that pop up here. That's sort of the point of having separate accounts.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
At first I was uncaring, then I actually still didn't care as it's an easy to ignore thing.
Oh, and it appears I would be one of those **** kids. Well, ain't that swell.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I don't like the idea of having comments on site content that the mods can't regulate. Seems like a perfect place for flaming, trolling and the like.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Thank you for the heads-up; I've shut it off (for what it's worth).

Facebook is a giant security, privacy, and identity theft disaster waiting to happen. Facebook integration into other sites is literally indescribably stupid -- in other words, a level of stupid that can't be described, can't be articulated, can't be conveyed with the necessary sense of gravity to cause people to act. The closest analogy I can draw would be to liken it to building a new nuclear reactor on the Japanese coast out of aluminum foil and breadsticks.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Meh I use it as an 'extra comment' so it doesn't bother me at all.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'm simply ignoring them, and it's working pretty well since if it weren't for the official announcement in the Tech Support group I never would've noticed them.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks for that. The fact that they appeared between the content and the link for the comments was irritating.

Zyxzy

Apr 16, 2009
Oh, we can disable them? Then I can't say I object to them, people who want them can use them, and the rest of us can ignore them.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Zyxzy said:
Oh, we can disable them? Then I can't say I object to them, people who want them can use them, and the rest of us can ignore them.
This man speaks the truth.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Thanks man, I dislike this new feature. Why does every site have to be connected with facebook now? It's like fucking Borg... That's coming from somebody who uses Facebook daily as well and likes it.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
I was never really bothered by this at all? I dunno. And I haven't really noticed that much trolling on the Facebook comments section. Mainly just funny one liners.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I don't like this feature because it spoils videos. The comments are RIGHT under the video, and in full view on the average-sized computer screen. I don't always fullscreen videos, so this is very annoying. It also adds one more layer between the video and the related videos, which is a feature I use a lot.

Also, the quality of the comments sometimes approaches YouTube levels of inanity.

I'm thankful an option to disable this Facebook feature is available. I'm gonna go do that now.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Soylent Bacon said:
In fact, I think the use of real names (and occasionally faces) is probably preventing people from turning their constructive criticisms and arguments into "Fuck you. You're wrong," because the people commenting are less anonymous.
The FIRST comments I saw were this, basically. So I respectfully disagree.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm not a fan of people being able to comment on the site's content without being under any mod control.