Facebook Connect has come to The Escapist!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Twilight_guy said:
Seriously, i never thought that these two item would ever come within a hundred feet of each other.
I'm not sure why you'd think that. Despite the posturing of some of our readers, the people who actually make this place don't pretend to be "too good" for things just because they also happen to be popular.

We have fan pages, most of the staff are on there, most of us have twitter accounts - they're all communication tools, and that's what the internet is about.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I'm still not giving out my full name. And I will sure as hell not unleash my most inner nerd on my real friends.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Sigh... I think some of you need some new friends if your current ones would care if you posted on the Escapist ad nauseam. Been a flaming geek/nerd my whole life, and I embrace it whole heartedly. And you know what, my friends don't give a shit. Hell, most of them are *gasp* just like me! Everyone likes something a little too much, for me, yup, it's video games. Not saying I care one way or the other if Facebook is attached to this site, but seriously, no one should be telling you to get a life just because you like to read online gaming magazines. If you were to take a good look at what some of your friends do on their free time, I'm sure you might scoff as well. Reading high fashion magazines, quoting Robert Frost, and being able to look at a Jackson Pollock painting and see something other than paint splatters doesn't really qualify you as having more of a life than someone who has purchased their third Xbox because their last two have burned out from continuous play. If you are willing to discuss the ways in which Bioware has taken over your life amongst three friends on your facebook wall, well, then you're pretty awesome in my book. Screw anybody who looks down on you for what you like to do. Which reminds me, I need to follow up on that post to my wall about the damage you do to your soul when you play evil in Dragon Age. See ya!

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee i hate facebook and other social net sites , and this might make me reconsider being on the escapist ,

as for my full name being used , i don't like that for 2 reasons ... my full name is the only one in canada , and in the us there are 82 of the same name and one of them is a fucking mouth piece who's ideas are wrong and they put their views on the net , then i get hate e-mail and phone calls about it and its not me

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Eukaryote said:
God I hate Facebook, if it wasn't the only thing connecting me to non-university friends I'd leave so fast.
Same. Think the only good thing that has come from it was meeting a few old friends, one I hadn't talked to in 9-10 years. But they really need to quit with the fucking updates. Every time they update it it gets even worse, and takes longer and longer to load.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
ok I did i, but now what? I didnt see anything differnt with my profile nor was there a change with my face book page.

Did I miss something?

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Great. Another way to bring in more people and potentially poison the forums even more.

Maybe then we'll drive away even more dedicated members.
I thought I was the only one who had this thought ^ occur to me

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Coolio idea.

I might use this. Not sure yet really. I like to keep my Escapism that, escapism.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
CrazyHaircut94 said:
I'm still not giving out my full name. And I will sure as hell not unleash my most inner nerd on my real friends.
This. Please Escapist, don't somehow reveal to all my Facebook 'friends' that I go on this site. It would not end well for me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I am sure will be nice for some. Its sense I suppose, seems everyone does it I suppose

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I HATE social networks.

I appreciate that the option is there for people who'd want it. Don't get me wrong though.
Of corse, if it were Twitter, there'd be a mountain of hate coming your way. I'm still getting over the fact that Yahtzee joined Twitter. Twitters only redeming quality is this
http://entertothematrix.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pac-man-on-twitter.jpg
and thats not much of a redeming quality is it?
So please keep the Escapist and Twitter separate.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
If people want to find me on Facebook that badly, they can click on my profile and add me as a friend that way (as four Escapists have done already.)

This just reeks of some corporate person saying "how are we leveraging social networking?" rather than filling an actual customer need.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Suiseiseki IRL said:
Great. Another way to bring in more people and potentially poison the forums even more.

Maybe then we'll drive away even more dedicated members.
i was thinking this but its worth a shot, no?