Facebook Gamer Who Let Son Drown Gets 10 Years

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks ten years isn't enough?

When I read stories like these, it makes me feel like the sterilization of the sexual reproductive organs of the moron involved doesn't go far enough for justice.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Tzekelkan said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
-snip-

They're being ironic of the fact that she's probably the ONLY person that has been convicted of child negligence while playing video games who HASN'T blamed it on the company. Everytime one of these stupid people are arrested they say "Blame Zynga" or "It wouldn't have happened if the game wasn't being so addictive".

So people are being ironic about the fact that she's actually manning up to what she's done
I guess? So why are most the people posting here blaming the game? I'm no fan of Facebook games either, but that doesn't hurt my impartiality when placing the blame where it needs to lie (squarely on the shoulders of stupidity).
They aren't actually blaming the game, hence being ironic about it. They're literally just joking about it. Don't worry dude

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
ten years isn't long enough. i get sucked into those kinds of games too, but my cat has to do a hell of a lot less than drown to make me pay attention to him. if she really couldn't wait maybe an hour until the kid was in bed to play her game, she should wait forever to see the outside of a prison again.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
vansau said:
"...thirteen-month-old son..."

"...she didn't want her son, Joseph, to grow up as a "mama's boy" and was an "independent" toddler who didn't need adult supervision."
^those two sections don't mix well

I'm pretty sure that anyone at the age of 1 can be considered a "mama's boy/girl"

I may be talking crazy here but I was under the impression that "toddler" and "adult/parent supervision kind of went hand in hand.

It happened to be in the bathroom but if I understand her point of view, she didn't even want to pay attention to the kid. Leaving him unattended in the kitchen or around a flight of stairs would have probably had the same tragic ending. The worst part is she seems to think ignoring him was in his best interest. Relatively constant supervision is required of any child until he/she has reached the age of reason.

EDIT: Another thing, young children don't need much water in the tub, why would you fill a bathtub put the child in and leave(for any amount of time), calling it poor parenting does not begin to describe the situation that child was in

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
I'm almost disappointed that I took the gaming side on the "Are Games Bad?" argument. Because, if I had taken the ignorant scaremongering side instead, I could right now be using this as ammunition against facebook games - the bottom of the bottom of the gaming barrel - and by extension facebook as a whole. But oh well. I made my choice and I'm sticking with it. So now it looks like I'll be defending facebook. Ugh.

Sigh. Ok look, parents seem especially inadequate these days. I didn't take baths on my own until I was capable of speaking in coherent sentences, and by that point my parents had laid down safety rules that I frickin' followed if I didn't want to get punished, and told me exactly what could happen to me if I didn't put safety first. Squished by a car, electrocuted, abducted, drowned, burned. But even then I was never left to look after myself. My mom even opposed me being a latchkey kid until I was a teenager. She must've been afraid I'd blow up the house and myself with it.

The worst my mom ever got distracted was when she was talking on the phone. And even then if she saw me doing something dumb in the background, she'd go "hold on a second my son is etc. etc." and stop me. There's nothing more distracting to moms than a phone call, but she never put that before making sure I lived to see another day.

There's nothing wrong with embracing your favorite distractions, but it is indeed stupid to leave a toddler to his own devices. I think she just created this idea of her child being independent at such a young age to justify not having to watch him. Some might say that the game was to blame as an addiction, but no addiction on earth has the power to override motherly instincts. (Except maybe heroin.) The only thing to blame here is stupidity. I know a lot of new ideas about raising children involve giving them as much freedom as possible, but new isn't always better.

Archtype

Apr 25, 2010
vansau said:
llamaquest101 said:
Wow only in america eh, and such a crap game as well.
Dude, this stuff happens EVERYWHERE [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103424-Details-Dont-Add-Up-In-Story-About-Mothers-Game-Addiction]
Indeed.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
If you stuck a zero on the end of that number I'd feel true justice was given out.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I hate that this sort of thing happens, but I'm glad she owned up to her mistake. It's more than many others on their way to prison would do.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
You'd think the death of her son wasn't enough consequence. Pile ten years on it, will ya? >.>
I get the impression they were making an example out of her.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
It is stories like this that bring out the Nietzche in me.

Yes its a tragedy and should have never happened. However this might have been for the best.

First off the woman is uncaring enough to leave a 13 month old infant unattended in a tub. Consider the kids point of view. The one person on this planet who is supposed to love you unconditionally, and she couldnt be bothered to quit clicking for 10 minutes.Oh Im sure if this kid had a chance to grow up they would have felt warmth and love their whole life through, right?... right?

Secondly a little dose of genetics. The mother was thick in the head enough to think a 1 year old is independent, Has a dangerous obsession with mediocre and repetitive games, and for some reason thought this was anything other than a horrible idea. In nature the weak and feeble do not typically live to reproduce. Seriously this is the type of person who should have been eaten by a grizzly bear long before she had a chance to mate. So in a sense this is nature undoing a grievous error, in natures typical fashion of in a horrific manner. Also, with that sort of genetic stock you have to wonder which is more likely. We lost a future gas station clerk/telemarketer, or did we loose the cure for cancer? Both are possibilities, but which is more likely?

I apologize in advance. I am not trying to make light of a horrific situation. More to the effect of trying to redirect the light to a much bigger problem.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
totally, don't want to coddle them now, I mean he was ONE. CUT THE F*CKING UMBILICAL CORD...

in all seriousness, this horrible excuse for a woman deserves the worst punishment available...

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
viranimus said:
Meh, I usually feel somewhat the same. Hell, "The Darwin Awards" are a perfect example.

ArBeater said:
Um sorry, but how the hell did a kid drown in a bath tub?
13 months old? That's a toddler at best. Imagine if you couldn't lift your own head because your neck was too weak, and you had difficulty even crawling, especially in a slippery bath tub. This is why parents everywhere are almost constantly warned that "infants can drown in as little as one inch of water" by graphics like this:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98002.jpg

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
ArBeater said:
Um sorry, but how the hell did a kid drown in a bath tub?
The kid is 13 months old, and we don't know if she maybe left the water running and quickly left to tend to some sheep and then lost track of time, or if the water was a bit too high and he couldn't support himself to be above it long enough. I don't know how old you think the kid is, but it's not hard for a baby just over 1 year.

OT: At least she doesn't try and blame the video games, it's her own fault and she's owning up to that.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
she sounds like my fat, inhumanely irresponsible cousin....if it wasnt for me and my other cousins intervening, her daughter would have very likely ended up in a similar situation as this one. generally the level of stupidity involved in incidents like this demand an equally stupid excuse from the guilty; quite surprising to see her own up, but i can't say i would be adverse to shining facebook in a more negative light as well.

some evidence for the Nietzche point of view....the daughter is turning out quite like her mother anyway.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
vansau said:
Shannon Johnson, 34, claims that she didn't want her son, Joseph, to grow up as a "mama's boy" and was an "independent" toddler who didn't need adult supervision.
What kind of THIRTEEN MONTH OLD is able to be independent, for god sakes the child would barely be toilet trained let alone able to be independent. You NEED a mother at that age, Im not sure how many people i know are mama's boys because they relied on their mother when they could barely do any basic function properly....

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
llamaquest101 said:
Wow only in america eh, and such a crap game as well.
That's uh... rather uncalled for.

And no. This kinda stuff doesn't only happen in America.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
vansau said:
It shouldn't surprise anyone to learn that letting your kid drown while you play Facebook games will net you ten years in prison.
Well, it does. Ten years is not nearly enough.

*reads more*

Oh. She pleaded guilty. Well, that's nice of her to take responsibility and not pull some crap like "I'm addicted to games it's not my fault!" Ten years still seems too short though.