Facebook May Rebrand Oculus Rift, Import Interface - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Facebook May Rebrand Oculus Rift, Import Interface - Update

An unnamed person involved in the Facebook and Oculus deal states the social media giant is planning to re-brand the VR hardware with the Facebook interface and logo.

Update: A Facebook rep has told TechCrunch the rumor is "not true and not in the spirit of our relationship [with Oculus]." Facebook also says it will allow Oculus to operate independently, similar to how it runs its other acquisitions, Instagram and WhatsApp.

We'll keep you posted once more news becomes available.

Source: TechCrunch [http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/26/facebook-oculus/]

Original Story:

Earlier today, Facebook shocked the technological world when it report by the New York Times [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133231-Facebook-is-Buying-Oculus-VR-for-2-Billion-Update-4], it states that "According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo."

Aside from that, no other info has been shared. Could this and other unannounced details be one of the major reasons why Markus "Notch" Persson cancelled Mojang's planned Oculus version for Minecraft? [https://twitter.com/notch/status/448586381565390848] We can't say for sure. Keep in mind that this is just a rumor for now, so nothing's set in stone. Of course, seeing how much Facebook is shelling out for the tech, it is kind of understandable if they want some of its branding on the device to some degree. But a Facebook interface, though? I'm no VR expert, but if this comes true, I can see how it might rub some people the wrong way.

Would integrating a Facebook interface or logo be enough for you to not purchase an Oculus Rift once consumer models are made available to the public?

Source: Superannuation [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/technology/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-virtual-reality-headset.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=3]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
After reading most of the last thread, and getting insights on both sides of this acquisition, I'm surprised how many people flat out dislike Facebook.
I wonder why that is it be honest.
As for Rift, I don't mind the branding, it is Facebook's product after all . I'll just have to wait and see what Facebook does with the tech before I decide it is worth my money or not. I'm very happy I wasn't a backer.

Shalok

May 28, 2012
Nope. If this happens any chance I had of buying an Occulus Rift just went away, branding I can deal with but a Facebook interface, Nope.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its like we cant have nice things.

All in all since this is by an "unnamed person" I somewhat doubt they will make a Facebook interface, how would that even really work with a screen in your face that isnt all that great for text? The logo I can believe though.

Also, relevant

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
As a general rule, I remain skeptical of news articles about anonymous sources stating things.

This is no exception.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
Story said:
After reading most of the last thread, and getting insights on both sides of this acquisition, I'm surprised how many people flat out dislike Facebook.
I wonder why that is it be honest.
As for Rift, I don't mind the branding, it is Facebook's product after all . I'll just have to wait and see what Facebook does with the tech before I decide it is worth my money or not. I'm very happy I wasn't a backer.
Some of us just aren't that social to begin with, and never got into the whole Facebook wave of social media in the first place. Some of us hung back a bit, and got really skeezed out by some of Facebook's business practices, particularly as they touched on the gaming industry and the monetization of customers, the furthering of treating the people one ostensibly serves as one's product. With Zynga, Facebook helped foster and popularize a lot of the anti-consumer practices currently bouncing around the gaming industry.

That in mind, seeing them take such an overwhelming interest in the Oculus does not fill one with confidence that the tool will be used in any way other than to ruin good ideas with bad practices.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I refuse to buy this device if it has a small 'f' within a box on the side. End of story.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I don't mind a logo... but Facebook interface? What the fuck does that mean?

Like I'm always on goddamn Facebook while I'm playing a fucking game or something? The goddamn facebook toolbar hanging over everything I do?

Nah, fuck this shit.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Ahahahahaha! I'm in stitches.

I'm so glad I didn't help fund Oculus Rift via Kickstarter, because if I had, that knife between my shoulder blades would be making it hard to sit comfortably right now.

Good thing Sony just unveiled their own VR product.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009

Facebook is already an intrusive load of ass, as if I want it strapped to my head like some kind of goddamn techno-facehugger.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Facebook interface... ugh. Or are they thinking Steam overlay, just Facebook? Somehow that sounds even worse.
Imagine if your Steam friends used it like they do Facebook and everything they write gets a popup right into your game (and brain). Same for game invites etc.

georgeo18yal

Apr 2, 2013
Honestly Facebook owning Oculus is a deal breaker for me alone. If this is actually the case though I'm staying as far away from that thing as I possibly can. Fuck Facebook.

EDIT: The only way I'm going to buy one of those headsets at this point would be if Facebook 100% does nothing to the device at all. Which they probably won't do so no VR for me!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
You know what? I'm calling bullshit on this one. It's almost April 1st and this smacks of a April Fool's prank. It's just building up I tell you.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012

Truly, the future looks wonderful. I can't wait for uncloseable clickbait in 3D, right before my very eyes....

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
And it begins.

I'm 99% sure the Rift at some point will require you to log into a Facebook account. Though not just that, you will most likely be required to install a Facebook program on your computer to even use the Rift. Who knows what the implications of that will be.

In the worst case scenario there will be a Facebook toolbar, or a floating button whenever you are using the Rift.

Though hopefully, somebody will release a crack that strips those things away from the screen.