Facebook Rolls Out Auto-Playing Video Ads

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
atleast they're having them in silent mode

six months later, facebook introduces unskippable ads when you log on

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
I wonder if Facebook will start suspending/banning people for using advertisement restricting software?
Its not about using it. Its about advertising. You're allowed to use it all you want, just don't admit to usin it. That being said, it would make the irony come full circle. On the flip side, Facebook doesn't have a reason for people to use multiple tabs for a single site and they don't routinely browse multiple parts of the same site since almost everythin you need is on the main feed so its probably far less intrusive than other sites that shall not be named for fear of bans.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well this will go over QUITE wonderfully with anyone who checks Facebook with any device that has a data-capped plan.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
And guess who's going to quit using FB due to this? Yes, me and maybe thousands of other peeps. As if ads weren't annoying enough already.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Well I guess I won't have to take any dietary supplements for a while, as this article has given me a big dose of irony! Lol I am literally shocked that this article got posted after all the ruckus the whole ad issue caused on the site. Which for good or for ill, might be an indication of very little editorial control. Did no one at the office raise an eyebrow at this?

OT: I'm glad I am not a user of Facebook, video ads are annoying period. Still them being silent on default might be a step in a better direction

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
You mean like the one that played while I was browsing the site, to get to this story?
Gitty-Gitty!

But, OT?
FB is going to turn into MySpace soon enough.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I...

No. I refuse to pick low hanging fruit.

Auto-playing ads are bad. That is all.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Seriously Escapist? You're just rubbing salt in the wound at this stage.
The irony of this thread is palpable.

Especially after what another site reported on, with regards to The Escapist.

Also, I can't help but notice a number of people (in this thread, and in the other one) who are allowed to mention they use [REDACTED], simply because they paid the Escapist for the ability to do so.
I don't agree with this way of handling things, at all.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
IceForce said:
Seriously Escapist? You're just rubbing salt in the wound at this stage.
The irony of this thread is palpable.

Especially after what another site reported on, with regards to The Escapist.

Also, I can't help but notice a number of people (in this thread, and in the other one) who are allowed to mention [REDACTED], simply because they paid the Escapist for the ability to do so.
I don't agree with this way of handling things, at all.
Except you know, the word adblock itself is not what is against the rules at all. It's the avocation of using it that is against the rules. It's just like piracy in that you can't advocate it on the site, but you don't suddenly getting a warning for having the word piracy in your post, just like you don't get a warning for having the word adblock in your post.

Also, yeah, I take that Techdirt article with a grain of salt because it's quite obvious the author of that article doesn't like the Escapist really at all. Look, I hate obnoxious ads as well, but at the same time if you see the ads report them. The only person I've ever honestly seen report the ads to the tech team with info on them on a constant basis is FalloutJack, no one else does. It's just like how the ads are on Wiki pages now, auto-playing ads that you don't even have to even accidentally hit with your mouse and suddenly they start playing it. It's really bad on Bulbapedia nowadays.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
There are few things on the internet I loathe more than video ads that play automatically. You've got 17 tabs open in Firefox, you're browsing the web like a maestro, and suddenly, BOOM, music starts playing and some guy starts talking about cheaper car insurance or erectile dysfunction or fixed-rate home loans, and after you've recovered from the heart-jarring startle you get to scroll through page after page, scrambling to find the offending ad so you can shut it up - all because some metrics-calculating bozo managed to convince the world that that's brand engagement, baby!

Is... Is this a joke? An Escapist news article that bashes auto-playing ads while The Escapist uses auto-playing ads. This one is getting screen caped for posterity's sake. Just in case the inevitable backlash makes the staff "disappear" this article.

OT- It's social media, I'm surprised it took them this long.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
When I take over the world and crown myself supreme emperor, I'll make advertising illegal. That will of course cause all kinds of chaos, but that's OK; I'll just spend about 250 administrative points and it will be all good.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
[quote/]There are few things on the internet I loathe more than video ads that play automatically. You've got 17 tabs open in Firefox, you're browsing the web like a maestro, and suddenly, BOOM, music starts playing and some guy starts talking about cheaper car insurance or erectile dysfunction or fixed-rate home loans, and after you've recovered from the heart-jarring startle you get to scroll through page after page, scrambling to find the offending ad so you can shut it up - all because some metrics-calculating bozo managed to convince the world that that's brand engagement, baby![/quote]

Easier way to get rid of those ads without having to search for them? Windows Task Manager (or your OS's equivalent), Adobe Flash Player, End Process. Just hope you're not listening to any YouTube vids because you'll have to refresh 'em.

Also, only 17 tabs? You're not a maestro until you've got ~50 open.

OT: So Facebook is cluttering it's UI with [i/]more[/i] ads? At least they're silent, but why do they need so many? Surely, Facebook isn't that low on money.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
hey, guess what

mute facebook ads still camp my bandwidth

sooooooo

just nope

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Haha oh that's rich! Escapist contributor criticizing Facebook on running auto-play video ads when the website they represent has some of the worst ads on the internet. Best part is, if you were to update your Facebook status saying "HEY I USE ADBLOCK" you wouldn't get penalized. No such luck here. Not saying I use it, I just find this to be immensely hypocritical.
Scrumpmonkey said:
It's posts like these that make me wish we had some kind of thumbs up feature on these forums.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gigastar said:
If youve been asked out of nowhere about your car insurance by a video ad as many times as i have, you would be sympathetic to them.
It's not a lack of sympathy, it's just a helpful heads up to people who now run the risk of a warning.

What they're doing is against the ToU, whether you feel for them or not. And I do feel for them. And the irony of Escapist staff members complaining about annoying video ads is not lost on me, either. Of course, it could simply be a lack of awareness (I'm pretty sure Andy's PubClub as well as a staffer), but it's still funny. It's also particularly awkward timing, considering the blowup recently. The only way this could be better is if an auto-play video ad showed up while I was reading the article.

I get all this. But getting warned, suspended, or banned won't help anything.

Neronium said:
Except you know, the word adblock itself is not what is against the rules at all. It's the avocation of using it that is against the rules.
I noticed a couple of people talking about using it, which I would think would count as advocacy. At least one is Pub Club and still not warned while others who are not Pub Club have been. That's kind of...Suspect.

Isra

May 7, 2013
Damned advertisers are breeding like lawyers. They should at least pay part of my cable bill for wasting my bandwidth.
And who the hell are these people who respond to this kind of advertising anyway?
I've never in my life bought anything I saw on a website banner. EVER.