Fake Fallout 4 Teaser Site Was Created to Make You Freak Out

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
If it would force Bestheda to say something about Fallout 4's release, then I can see why he did it.

I can't see why he thought it would work, or why Bestheda didn't notice it sooner.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
And gamers once again rise to the bait like particularly dumb goldfish, proving what we all already knew, that they have no sense of perspective, proportions or priorities. At all.

*grumbles* death threats over a Fallout 4 prank, I mean really... *grumbles*

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Some men just want to see the world burn, and others just want their 15 minutes of fame. If all he really wanted was to be a spiteful troll, he wouldn't have opened a Reddit AMA to announce his intentions.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
"Some men just want to watch the world burn..."

Rallying cry of utter idiots throughout the globe. It's a useful identification sign. If you hear someone utter that phrase to explain their behaviour, you are obliged to shove the Dark Knight trilogy DVDs down their throat.

It was a very good hoax, though. It was very believeable, and it was great fun to see it evolve. I do hope he goes on to do something like this, but hopefully legit, some day in the future. He's certainly got the talent for it. Although I hope he stops self-identifying as a wanker in the future, as well.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
So basically he just said "I just want to set the world on fire?"
Yep, in his heart there is but one desire...and that is to screw with all of you.

Well, technically "us" but that doesn't gel with the song, so to hell with pronoun agreement.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I'm not really mad but the guy comes off a a self-important ass to me, I'll never understand why some people find joy in this sort of displeasure. Oh well, at least he did this as opposed to torturing small animals.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Michael Epstein said:
In addition to the insane amount of time and effort, the hoaxer sunk a fair bit of money into the project. After hosting, traffic and other expenses, the Survivor2099 site cost "approximately 900$" to run.
Just a heads up, you called site 2099 when it is actually 2299.

So yeah, the guy did it for the reason you would assume he did it. He thought it would be funny. Still, that is a lot of money to pay for a prank. Though he said it was worth it.

Wraithsight

[PREFSTRING:insanity]
Jul 6, 2008
Does he deserve death threats? No.

Should he have done something useful with that $900? Yes.

Seriously that's what gets me riled up more then anything about this, the fact that there are some many charity out there that could desperately use the money, and he used it purely so he could see peoples angry reactions. Hell hes a gamer, he could have given it to Child's Play.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Sorry how was this meant to fool anyone? The very first reports stated that the webhost and site registration had nothing to do with Bethesda, right at the point everyone should have known that this had nothing to do with FO4. mind you we have people stupid enough to make death threats over it so I guess dumb is a common commodity when it comes to gaming hype.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I find it really amusing that people are so upset about this. Do people really care that much about video games? Especially enough to send death threats?

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Fella sounds more than a bit full of himself. Pretty much without exception, whenever a person calls themselves an 'asshole' or something like that as a point of pride, they're just trying to sound cool and different.

This smells of "look at me I'm a rebel and a prankster, give me attention".

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I am one of the few people I know who went "meh" at the "announcement," and I LIKE the franchise. I just don't see what they would do. Of course, I know I'll buy it eventually anyway, if they ever get around to it.

I got burned on the old ILOVEBEES "immersive advertising" for Halo, so I tend to ignore all this under-the-radar nonsense until an official website comes out.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
I thought it was fun, and frankly it was nice to get some attention about Fallout 4. The Escapist itself said that if the site were a hoax, the guy running it should be hired to the company. I say roll with that claim. He's a prankster because the world has not yet harnessed his potential, perhaps.

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
You know if and/or when Bethesda actually makes Fallout 4, they've got to make a reference to this as a wild wasteland encounter. Like you come across a dead body in a raider camp with a note pinned on him explaining how the guy pulled some elaborate hoax on the raiders and the raiders responded by shoving him in a cage with a deathclaw, "just to see his reaction."

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
No one got hurt, the only money lost was that of the guy pulling the prank, and he accomplished what he set out to do. That's a good prank right there, and the fact that he's owning up to it makes it even better. Well done.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
hehehe, I love it XD I applaud you for trolling the Fallout fan base so hard sir, though if he wants me to freak out, next time he should pick a game I actually care about.