Fallout 3 Banned in Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout 3 Banned in Australia

The rumors are true and it's bad news once again for gamers Down Under: Bethesda's hotly anticipated post-nuclear RPG Fallout 3 [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] has been refused classification in Australia.

The website for the government's Gamasutra [http://www.classification.gov.au/special.html?n=46&p=156&sTitle=fallout+3&sMature=1&sMediaGames=1&sDateFromM=1&sDateFromY=2008&sDateToM=12&sDateToY=2008&record=228415], which uncovered the decision, the denied rating could be the result of the country's "inflexible" regulations regarding in-game displays of drug use.

Bethesda can apply for a review of the decision at a cost of just under $8000, but appeals and reversals of classification refusals in Australia seem quite rare; most developers faced with similar obstacles opt to modify their games in order to make it more palatable for Australian release. While Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.rockstargames.com] in order to get it past the country's censors.

Bethesda Softworks has declined to comment on the Classification Board's decision.

TheDanwich

Oct 9, 2007
That is terrible... this might actually be a game worthy of recognition and Australian gamers don't even get a chance to try it out.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Likely. Australia's so willing to jump onto the BANNED-wagon that it's banning things no one else is banning.

Exterminatus

Jul 9, 2008
Goddamn, I hate my country sometimes. No, scratch that, I hate it ALL the time.

Then again, I also hate Bethesda after Oblivion, so I'm not quite sure how to feel about this...

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
Meh so we can't buy the game in stores but who can stop up getting a legal download of it. Now hopefully there are online stores that offer it as a legal download, or steam.

But our crappy censorship of games sucks.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Oh well, Yahtzee will just have to find another way to get hold of it. He did with Manhunt so...muh. God I'm glad I don't live in Australia.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Are Australian movie releases subject to the same level of censorship? If not, why not?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
They're not, because the OFLC in Australia has an 18+ rating for every entertainment medium except videogames, which have a maximum rating classification of 15. So while a movie like Buttfuck Sluts Go Nuts would have no problem getting a classification and being sold in Australia, games like Fallout 3, GTA4, the Punisher and numerous others end up either censored or banned altogether. The whole system is based on the premise that videogames are kids' stuff, so there's no need for videogame rating higher than 15 - and if a game does demand a rating higher than 15, then it's not welcome in the land of Oz.

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
...BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

HHA
ha

aaahh

That is the most evil thing I've heard all week. I feel a tiny morsel of sorrow in my spleen; but it is washed over by my sea of assholism.

bustns

May 8, 2008
well im glad i live in canada and dont have to worry about the games i want getting banned

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
You know, guys, there are greater concerns here than whether or not Yahtzee has to make another trip to GAME TRADERS ROBINA!

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well for those saying "use steam" that would be blocked, they can block you based on ip, if it's banned there they check via your ip

that being said, ebay is your friend OR get a friend that lives somewhere else to buy the game for you and then mail it to you, problem solved

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
well for those saying "use steam" that would be blocked, they can block you based on ip, if it's banned there they check via your ip

that being said, ebay is your friend OR get a friend that lives somewhere else to buy the game for you and then mail it to you, problem solved
Or order it online, like what I was gonna do with my copy of GTA4.

Alright, as an Aussie, and one that was interested in this, I'm pissed. Really pissed. I hate how our government is alright with everything but video games. Hell, they still call them 'computer games', a tell-tale sign of not knowing what's going on. It's about time we replace those old idiots, that have no idea what they're doing, and get some people in who've actually played video games.

**mumbles inaudibly**

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Can't you import the games from Britain? Do they have the same PAL region stuff on their consoles as Australia?