Fallout 3 Banned in Australia

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Malygris said:
You know, guys, there are greater concerns here than whether or not Yahtzee has to make another trip to GAME TRADERS ROBINA!
yes, like how alot of great games aren't getting to players who really want to play them and those companies are subsequently loosing money.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Reasonable Doubt said:
Sorry didn't read anyone else's post I just posted my own and no all caps it makes my eyes hurt.
That's why you should always at least skim through the other posts before posting. You'd have known he can get it from GAMETRADERS ROBINA. Although GAMETRADERS ROBINA is an Australian store, so Yahtzee will have to have someone from the outside smuggle it in, if GAMETRADERS ROBINA doesn't do that already.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
So, obviously you can't buy the game in Australia, but is it illegal to possess it? Would it not having a rating essentially classify it as contraband, or does it just make procuring the game inconvenient?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(cries like a little baby that's lost his Fallout)

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
m_jim said:
So, obviously you can't buy the game in Australia, but is it illegal to possess it? Would it not having a rating essentially classify it as contraband, or does it just make procuring the game inconvenient?
What I've come to understand over the years, from truck stop bathroom stalls, is they have laws that restrict what stores can sell, so when their rating people refuse to rate a game and say it's evil, it doesn't allow stores to sell it. Banned from selling, not banned like crack. I think. It's like Cuban stuff in the U.S.A. You can have it, but you can't sell it or bring it in.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Fineldar said:
That's why you should always at least skim through the other posts before posting. You'd have known he can get it from GAMETRADERS ROBINA. Although GAMETRADERS ROBINA is an Australian store, so Yahtzee will have to have someone from the outside smuggle it in, if GAMETRADERS ROBINA doesn't do that already.
It's actually Gametraders IN Robina, near Brisbane. They have a lot of rare or early copies of games but not illegel copies, otherwise I would have Dark Sector and other stuff by now.

Let's just overthrow Kevin Rudd and be done with it.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
But surely you can order it, right? Hell, I live in Australia - I don't think the government can stop anyone from playing it or from buying it overseas. It might cost a (tiny)bit more to order it, but I think it should be region free, right? So there shouldn't be any problems. Just get it from Amazon.

The only people who have anything to really worry about is the company that makes Fallout 3 - there going to miss out on a lot of sales.

This is one of the times where the US is actually better than Australia - in the US, even if something is refused classification, it will not be banned from sale. That's because classifications in the US are voluntary. Here in Australia, the Government thinks it should morally police us. Australian governments have been doing this for quite some time.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Korolev said:
But surely you can order it, right? Hell, I live in Australia - I don't think the government can stop anyone from playing it or from buying it overseas. It might cost a (tiny)bit more to order it, but I think it should be region free, right? So there shouldn't be any problems. Just get it from Amazon.
You could buy it over seas or order it from shipping websites such as play Asia etc but region coding will stop you from playing it (on the 360 at least, not sure about PC).

Besides, having a copy of Fallout 3 will be illegal here so I don't think anybody will ship it in. You could buy a copy from somewhere else for your PS3 (or PC maybe) but are you willing to pay for an overseas trip just to get a game?

This is really bad, hopefully Bethesda can try and get a way around this without ruining the game. One can only hope.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
I hate how the governmet can simply "refuse" to give a game a rating wich makes it ileagle to sell just because they don't like something in it. cencorship of game content or the game itself is wronge and should be reformed or forcefully stoped. This is also like here in the U.S. where presedent bush refused to let the EPA(enviormental protection agency) help lower air polution reducing carbon emissions 6 parts to a billion. the plan was stoped by the presedent simply refusing to open the email that the EPA sent containing it. Maybe they could have gotten him to pay attencion in a way he could comprehend (like writing it on a birthday cake).

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
This looks like a job for....
A Chaser-esque Stunt.

I need four total Sydney nerds - 1 dressed as a vault dweller, 1 dressed as Mark Ecko, 1 dressed as the guy from Dark Sector, and 1 dressed as the character from the original Manhunt. We approach Kirribilli house and speak about it as if it were an immigration matter.

"Mr. Prime Minister, you've said many times that you are opposed to the racism that marked the [previous government. But just look at these people who are still being turned away from Australia. How can you justify this, Mr. Rudd?"

I'm dead serious people. Look, at the very worst, we'll gain a small measure of fame in Sydney, and amongst the gaming community at large.
I'll get the camera.

dave.k

Mar 7, 2008
Korolev said:
Yep, we can order it fine from overseas. In fact, it works out much cheaper to order games from the US, than it does to buy it from inside Australia. You can't order PS3 games via Amazon. I think Sony have asked them to block international shipping. It doesn't stop other game stores, or buying from EBay though.

Korolev said:
This is one of the times where the US is actually better than Australia - in the US, even if something is refused classification, it will not be banned from sale. That's because classifications in the US are voluntary. Here in Australia, the Government thinks it should morally police us. Australian governments have been doing this for quite some time.
That's interesting. I never realised that about classifications in the US.

As for Australia, ratings are determined by the State Attorney-Generals, or by the Federal Government. All the State Attorney-Generals would actually like an R-rating for games, except for the one in South Australia. His name is Michael Atkinson. Unfortunately, there has to be a unanimous decision by all AGs, to alter the rating system. So Michael is the only one blocking the introduction.

It's an unfortunate system, that one person can block what the majority decide is needed. He is doing it, of course, to "protect the children". He just doesn't seem to realise that the best way to protect children, is to allow the parents to do so. Some people are just too set in their ways, to see the error of them.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Korolev said:
This is one of the times where the US is actually better than Australia - in the US, even if something is refused classification, it will not be banned from sale.
While that's technically true, no real publisher will ever bother to release a game with an AO (adults Only) rating from the ESRB. Rockstar toned down Manhunt 2 to get it down to a "mature" rating and get it onto store shelves. The retailers responsible for 99.9% of american game sales refuse to carry Adults Only titles, so the voluntary rating system becomes a de facto ban as far as content is concerned. On this issue, America has just decided to draw the arbitrary line in the sand a few feet left of Australia.

And if the American govt. is more liberal than your country on any issue, you should be concerned.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Yet another reason to import games from play-asia and the like for half the price.

As for the chaser stunt, I'll bring the flag. A Canadian flag ALWAYS gets you past security checkpoints in Australia. Honestly, I?d be up for a protest at parliament house if Canberra wasn?t the most bloody boring (and cold) place in Australia right now. Hell, I think that?s the idea of having our capital in the middle of nowhere.

But at least fireworks and drugs are easy to come by. Hell, i was there at the start of the year, and while I saw allot of people who could have MP-5's under their coats, I didn't see a single copper...