Fallout 3 Set to Remove Games For Windows Live Functionality

Jan 22, 2011
Ehh not that big of deal to me nor do I think it will be to rest of the community. Most pc gamer play fallout 3 using the fose script to bypass windows live.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
With regards to Fallout 3, anyone who had ever done modding or ini editing knew how to remove GfWL off of that game. It was rarely intrusive and the only reason you needed it was for the DLC. This is no great loss.

If only other GfWL games could have as smooth a transition as Fallout 3. Dead Rising 2: Off the Record STILL refuses to play for me because CAPCOM can't do anything for its consumers (go figure) and properly remove GfWL out of that game. Rather infuriating as each time I try to play my co-op partner wonders why I can't do such a simple thing as log in to the service. Ugh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
jackpipsam said:
Let me guess, now we'd be forced to use Steam to play the game.
Considering this is from the Steam version in the first place, what's the difference? Before you needed Steam and GFWL, now you need Steam.

wombat_of_war said:
a potential glimpse into the future when some services eventually go under?
Andy already pointed out recent delistings of games that are no longer available on services that are (as far as we know) healthy. And this isn't a new thing--games have been delisted on XBLA for years now. Some have come back, some haven't. There is no "future," here. The future is here. Games can be removed. At least with games like Fallout 3 and the Batman games, they aren't completely dead because the service is.

The future remains uncertain for many games (including ones Steam is still selling), though.

Longstreet said:
As far as i understand it, both the GoG issue and the marvel games on steam are simple rights issues, whether that is some sort of conflict or the ending of a contract i don't know, but these things can happen in brick and mortar stores aswell.
The big difference is you can still walk into a store and buy a copy of Deadpool. Why you would want to is beyond me, but it remains an option. Further, you can resell that copy, so the next person to want to buy Deadpool can. With a delisting, all the new copies are gone instantly and there are no used copies to pass around.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Odd. As a first-run adopter of the hardcopy, I've only ever seen the option to use that crap up high on the menu screen. GFWL isn't a requirement at all, and I've ignored it from day 1. I thought that was the same for digital copies.

I wonder if they're going to release a new patch for those of us without a live update service to go through. Much as it's never done any harm in this particular game, I'd rather not have the option there at all.

yatterman1

Nov 17, 2009
wait so what happening i got a goty edition so does it mean i can't play it anymore or have to re buy on steam? also if someone knows if possible to transfer it to steam be helpfull. but idk really play vegas more.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
On one hand GFWL was terribad and I'm glad to see it die (and this is coming from someone who thinks Origin and Uplay are fine) but on the other hand its death seems to have completely disabled multiplayer in Dawn of War 2, which is a shame. That said it also seems to have killed the MP in Dark Souls which instantly improved that game by a fair amount, so win some lose some I guess.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Andy of Comix Inc said:
It's a great argument against a digital future, if ever there was one. Old N64 cartridges won't go away because a developer loses rights to them.
Actually, in NO case has a developer removed games from people's libraries due to loosing rights. For the recent marvel games, if you already own then, them you already own them, no-one is going to take them away from you and you can keep playing them forever. It's just that new gamers can't buy them.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
It's a great argument against a digital future, if ever there was one. Old N64 cartridges won't go away because a developer loses rights to them.
Actually, in NO case has a developer removed games from people's libraries due to loosing rights. For the recent marvel games, if you already own then, them you already own them, no-one is going to take them away from you and you can keep playing them forever. It's just that new gamers can't buy them.
That's what I meant. Those games are kind of just... gone, to buy. I understand that you still own the games if you bought them - in the same way, if I buy an N64 game and it's pulled from shelves, I do still own that N64 game, save for a case of a recall (which I don't think is a legal obligation anyway). But how are people going to experience Deadpool now? I can't lend my digital copy to a friend, can I? And Deadpool is a disc game, but if it wasn't - if it was digital only, like, say, Skullgirls - that game'd be gone from circulation.

People who already have played and own the game aren't as important to the history and culture as much as new gamers. Deadpool ain't a classic by any stretch, but when it happens to, say, Half-Life 3 in 20, 30 years time? Half-Life 3 vanishes. And I presume Half-Life 3'd be a cultural touchstone if it comes out, so that'd be disappointment indeed.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Not real news to me; I removed GFWL connectivity from my Fallout 3 copy as part of the many bug-fixes required to get it to run.

Andy of Comix Inc said:
But how are people going to experience Deadpool now? I can't lend my digital copy to a friend, can I? And Deadpool is a disc game, but if it wasn't - if it was digital only, like, say, Skullgirls - that game'd be gone from circulation.

Emphasis mine. Steam is already on the road to enabling a family-sharing feature, so yes, you can[i/] share your games to a friend. Oh, and Skullgirls is still available on PC; it was only taken out of console storefronts.

People who already have played and own the game aren't as important to the history and culture as much as new gamers.
WTF? I think you got it ass backwards. We, the people smart enough to have bought Deadpool early in the Winter sale, are free to play it over and over, talk about it in forums, write reviews of it, and even post LPs of it (barring any DMCA takedown barrages from Disney, of course).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Deadpool ain't a classic by any stretch, but when it happens to, say, Half-Life 3 in 20, 30 years time? Half-Life 3 vanishes. And I presume Half-Life 3'd be a cultural touchstone if it comes out, so that'd be disappointment indeed.
If Valve's service shuts down a year after the release of the much anticipated HL3, it must have been awful indeed.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
It's good to hear another title is getting rid of GFWL. Now if only Codemasters would get rid of GRWL from Dirt 2 and Fuel. Dirt 2 is a great game and it doesn't need the GFWL anchor around its neck.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Just hurry the fuck up and get out of my Dark Souls windows. It's FPS is haggard enough without you, still don't know how I finished blighttown at 3 FPS on the laptop.