Fallout 3 Steam Keys Run Out, Keeps On Selling Anyway - UPDATED

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I feel sorry for these people. Not only do they have to wait for their digital game to become available but anyone on Win7 running more than a single core (which is probably most gamers these days) are gonna have a frustrating time trying to get it to work.
I'm not sure about that part of your commenting on cores and such, but as for waiting, i remember this happened when BioShock came out for the PC. It's why I'm leery of Steam, GFWL, anything that uses a check-in or other DRM, digital or not. Hell, I installed Mirror's Edge on my laptop when I moved to a new state and even with a code I was unable to play the game without checking in, so I had to "wait" until I could find a place with free wifi before I could play a game I had the physical copy for.

This is why I hope someday companies like GOG will inherit the industry.
I love GOG.com but they are never going to inherit anything if they don't offer a service that can compete with Steam. I love buying old and not so old games from that are updated to work in modern systems, come with extras, and whose installer I can use anytime on any computer but they need a client like Steam that I can browse through, install games through, manage saves, etc. Then I would use them even more. What people love about Steam is the convenience.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Better then not getting it all, so your keys are delayed shortly. Would it be better to miss the sale and wait another year for fallout to go on sale? you buy it, you still garuntee yourself a copy which is much better then the alternative of not getting it at all.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
"Our supply of infinite digital goods run out" - Steam

I thought one of the big advantages of digital sales over physical is that there is no limit to the amount of sold games, unlike retails which have only a limited amount. Seems like I was wrong.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Amir Kondori said:
No, they are effectively infinite (as in more can be generated then would ever be sold)...
So, not infinite after all. :p

You only got like 20^28 possibilities (=268.435.456.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000) and you have to account for the fact you don't want people to start random guessing keys.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Probably the last game that I'm really glad I bought in hardcopy. With a simple installation from disc and running it directly from the game .exe or the script extender (bypassing the launcher), it actually has no DRM. GFWL is in the menu as an option, but isn't required in any way to play the game (good thing, too... since I've never been able to keep an account with those motherfuckers open past 30 days).

So they seriously stepped up the DRM with the Steam version? Like, requiring a GFWL login and such? I never would have spent the time I did on it if they'd done that with the hardcopy, probably would've written off the entire series at that point and just sworn by the old isometrics like some of the die-hards over at No Mutants Allowed.

Hope they're quick with adding another digit or whatever to the keys so people can play the game, though. Damn good one, especially with a mod or two (hint: Wanderer's Edition).

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
thebobmaster said:
Lot of people seem to be letting Valve off the hook for this problem. I wonder if they would be showing any leniency to Origin if the same thing happened over there.

Note: I'm not saying Valve is a failure for not seeing this coming. But to continue to sell the game after you run out of keys to actually allow the game to be played seems a bit...problematic.
Yeah, it makes me wonder if Steam would refund you if you asked. As long as they did that, I don't see it as any more than a small problem. I agree with someone above that it's better to keep selling it at such a low cost so that more people get access to the deal. But, if someone really wanted to play it right away and they couldn't, Steam should refund them.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
This isn't the first time it has happened on Steam. Prey ran out of keys back when it was being sold for $2.50 USD back during the 2009/10 Holiday Sale. The store page was removed, and... it's yet to come back.

Seeing how Beth now owns Human Head, chances are that Fallout 3 might not actually be resolved :/
I would have sworn that Prey ran out before then (but still during a sale). But I didn't care; I already bought it in 2007 or so. I bought Fallout 3 on disc when it came out.

Oh look, a news article has appeared http://kotaku.com/5436298/steam-sold-out-of-prey-please-try-again-later

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Whoatemysupper said:
Why hate it? It's probably the least intrusive and least limiting DRM.
So, it's ok for me to punch you in the arm since it is a part of the body least likely to be damaged by me punching you?

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
As much as I'm a Valve and Steam fan, Steam's always had problems with this kind of stuff. Took a long time before Towns got a warning that you were buying a game that wasn't actually finished put onto it. It's one of the problems Valve's still got to solve. Of course, putting trading cards into Steam appears to take priority over it. I love both Valve and the Steam platform, but they seem to be going a bit off their rocker lately.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
ryessknight said:
Ugh i hate steam. Its so fucking annoying to use,
Is it? I guess things don't always go perfectly, but it seems just as easy as any other digital download service. Well, a simple DRM free download like on GOG is better, but not all companies will agree to sell their product like that.

charges tax for some damn reason
Because they are required to? If Valve has a presence in your state, then they are definitely required to. Otherwise they might be. If they felt they could get away with not collecting tax they wouldn't. I actually prefer that tax get collected at the point of sale since you are required to pay it either way. If they collect it, it saves me having to fill out the "use tax" form.

and doesnt optimize older games like gog does.
GOG is a pretty awesome service for doing this with older games. But that was their whole orginal business model. So, yeah, it would be cool if Steam was able to fix all the problems of all the games they sell. I know GOG makes sure that old games work on various modern OSs, but now that they are selling new games, I'm not sure if they can make the same guarentee. Steam/GOG are not allowed to just fiddle with any game they want. GOG had to get special permission to do that with the older games. Steam couldn't sell a large number of games if they had to buy the rights to alter them so that they could be future-proofed.

Its also a resource hog.
Yeah, I worried about this when Steam first came out. Back when you had to restart your computer in bare-bones mode in order to squeeze out a few more FPS. Today, I have Steam running, many background threads, and I constantly alt-tab out of games to look up things in my brower. This has almost no effect on performance at all. I don't have a beast of a machine either. The compute power needed to run things like Steam is really small compared to running a game like Fallout 3. I don't have a super powered PC or something either.

Oh and doesnt even bother to tell you if your pc can even run there shit before you waste cash on it or at any time at all.
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt if Steam did do a pop-up warning you that your system doesn't meet the requirements. It's not hard to find those requirements. Steam only knows about your system if you allow the survey to run, but it would probably be a good idea for Steam to do something like that.

This key bullshit just adds to the pile.
To be fair, a similar problem hits most other digital download sites. Like I said above, if Steam won't refund you, then that's pretty bad. Amazon runs out of keys and greenmangaming is really bad about running out of keys. Neither of them will let you buy the game without the keys available. Which, if you really like the price is a bad thing. I almost never play games shortly after buying on sale, so waiting a couple of days for the key is not the end of the world.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Headsprouter said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I feel sorry for these people. Not only do they have to wait for their digital game to become available but anyone on Win7 running more than a single core (which is probably most gamers these days) are gonna have a frustrating time trying to get it to work.
Eh, having a few cores isn't that bad, the annoying part is Games for Windows butting in every so often. I reduced the amount of cores the game was permitted to use and that was literally all I needed to do to stop the game from crashing. I bought this game for PC last year and it spent ages asking for product keys...you know, if I was to boot it up, now, it'd probably ask for it again. Wierd.
Personally I had to limit it's used cores, change some folders and turn off auto saving entirely. Pain in the arse. And it took me a while to find out what I needed to do to get to work, very frustrating.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
loc978 said:
So they seriously stepped up the DRM with the Steam version? Like, requiring a GFWL login and such? I never would have spent the time I did on it if they'd done that with the hardcopy, probably would've written off the entire series at that point and just sworn by the old isometrics like some of the die-hards over at No Mutants Allowed.

(hint: Wanderer's Edition).
No, they didn't. GFWL is still there in the corner, only muttering something if you poke it with a stick.

You still can just launch from the .exe or with the extender.

(wanderers edition sucks, just wanted to add that)

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Clovus said:
Yeah, I worried about this when Steam first came out. Back when you had to restart your computer in bare-bones mode in order to squeeze out a few more FPS. Today, I have Steam running, many background threads, and I constantly alt-tab out of games to look up things in my brower.
Actually, my absolute favorite thing about Steam is that you don't have to alt-tab out of your game to use the browser. Just press Shift+Tab, then click the words "Web Browser" on the bottom left of the screen.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
gigastar said:
I doubt its a case of not knowing of the limited number of keys, rather a case of not anticipating the apparent sellout.

And what false pretense is there?

Theese people still own the game, and will be issued the CD keys when Bethesda wake up to what happened. Its just a minor delay, kin to a traffic jam or a train breaking down on the way home.
If Steam knew they had a finite # keys,than means they knew when they had ran out. Therefore they sold copies of the game knowing that the consumer would not be able to immediately play the game. To continue your traffic analogy, it would be like a radio announcer being told that there was a jam on the freeway but not broadcasting it.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
It takes so little time/effort to fix that problem im surprised it is not included in digital copies of older games tbh

For those who don't know how to get something to run on a single core
open notepad type

cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 Fallout3.exe

save as a .bat file in the fallout 3 folder
create a shortcut to the bat file- and run the game from that(switch logo to vault boy and no one will know)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
BioShock 2 and the Batman Arkham series have shown signs lately that they're on track to patch out GFWL and replace it with Steamworks. I wonder if this will send a message to Bethesda that they should follow suit.

Sep 14, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Lot of people seem to be letting Valve off the hook for this problem. I wonder if they would be showing any leniency to Origin if the same thing happened over there.

Note: I'm not saying Valve is a failure for not seeing this coming. But to continue to sell the game after you run out of keys to actually allow the game to be played seems a bit...problematic.
then those people are no longer available to the sale, and thus the sale is only open for "limited people" only. I'd much rather have the sale be open to anyone, as the page clearly stated that they wouldn't be able to play the game right away if they purchased it, I see nothing wrong with it as valve put in there that they ran out of keys at the moment.

If this had been a valve game, then absolutely it would be their fault, but seeing as how Bethesda is the one who supplies the keys, then it is on their hands, valve can sit there all day going "hey, we need more keys! these 3000 aren't going to cut it for the sale", but that doesn't mean bethesda has to do jack shit, it's more work for them if the game doesn't sell enough, and then all those keys are sitting there wasting away.

Origin would be at fault if EA had been the ones who didn't provide the keys, seeing as how Origin is used mostly by EA exclusives. (there are plenty of games on there, but lets face it, people only buy on origin for exclusives to EA)

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I'm not sure about that part of your commenting on cores and such, but as for waiting, i remember this happened when BioShock came out for the PC. It's why I'm leery of Steam, GFWL, anything that uses a check-in or other DRM, digital or not. Hell, I installed Mirror's Edge on my laptop when I moved to a new state and even with a code I was unable to play the game without checking in, so I had to "wait" until I could find a place with free wifi before I could play a game I had the physical copy for.

This is why I hope someday companies like GOG will inherit the industry.
I love GOG.com but they are never going to inherit anything if they don't offer a service that can compete with Steam. I love buying old and not so old games from that are updated to work in modern systems, come with extras, and whose installer I can use anytime on any computer but they need a client like Steam that I can browse through, install games through, manage saves, etc. Then I would use them even more. What people love about Steam is the convenience.
I can see the benefit of such a system, granted they remain DRM free, but on the flip side I view that as more monopolistic in nature. More sites like GOG exist and I think they're terrific. Sure they could streamline their market, but I can't think of much more they can do other than mimic other sites that do it better, which is subjective.

Having various sites that just sell the software without DRM seems best to me because it keeps things nice and unrestricted. My ownership is not in question or challenged, and I can pick and choose based on who's offering what. For example I picked up The Witcher 2 from Green Guy but could use the key on GOG where it cost more. Not that I need these places to allow me an all access pass to one for another. I just like the open market style they provide as opposed to Steam, which frankly I personally cannot stand at all.

Maybe if a place like GOG could offer both options?