Fallout 3 Steam Keys Run Out, Keeps On Selling Anyway - UPDATED

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I feel sorry for these people. Not only do they have to wait for their digital game to become available but anyone on Win7 running more than a single core (which is probably most gamers these days) are gonna have a frustrating time trying to get it to work.
I'm not sure about that part of your commenting on cores and such, but as for waiting, i remember this happened when BioShock came out for the PC. It's why I'm leery of Steam, GFWL, anything that uses a check-in or other DRM, digital or not. Hell, I installed Mirror's Edge on my laptop when I moved to a new state and even with a code I was unable to play the game without checking in, so I had to "wait" until I could find a place with free wifi before I could play a game I had the physical copy for.

This is why I hope someday companies like GOG will inherit the industry.
I love GOG.com but they are never going to inherit anything if they don't offer a service that can compete with Steam. I love buying old and not so old games from that are updated to work in modern systems, come with extras, and whose installer I can use anytime on any computer but they need a client like Steam that I can browse through, install games through, manage saves, etc. Then I would use them even more. What people love about Steam is the convenience.
I can see the benefit of such a system, granted they remain DRM free, but on the flip side I view that as more monopolistic in nature. More sites like GOG exist and I think they're terrific. Sure they could streamline their market, but I can't think of much more they can do other than mimic other sites that do it better, which is subjective.

Having various sites that just sell the software without DRM seems best to me because it keeps things nice and unrestricted. My ownership is not in question or challenged, and I can pick and choose based on who's offering what. For example I picked up The Witcher 2 from Green Guy but could use the key on GOG where it cost more. Not that I need these places to allow me an all access pass to one for another. I just like the open market style they provide as opposed to Steam, which frankly I personally cannot stand at all.

Maybe if a place like GOG could offer both options?
Steam doesn't need the DRM to be so attractive to users, it needs the DRM to stay attractive to publishers.

What I want from GOG.com or someone else is a Steam style front end that allows me to download, manage, and launch my games, connect with friends, download patches, sync save games, etc. just like Steam does but without DRM. The front end could download the very same DRM-free installers that we download now through the browser or through their downloader, but allow us to manage them and more through a front end just like Steam.

That is what I want.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I feel sorry for these people. Not only do they have to wait for their digital game to become available but anyone on Win7 running more than a single core (which is probably most gamers these days) are gonna have a frustrating time trying to get it to work.
I'm not sure about that part of your commenting on cores and such, but as for waiting, i remember this happened when BioShock came out for the PC. It's why I'm leery of Steam, GFWL, anything that uses a check-in or other DRM, digital or not. Hell, I installed Mirror's Edge on my laptop when I moved to a new state and even with a code I was unable to play the game without checking in, so I had to "wait" until I could find a place with free wifi before I could play a game I had the physical copy for.

I love GOG.com but they are never going to inherit anything if they don't offer a service that can compete with Steam. I love buying old and not so old games from that are updated to work in modern systems, come with extras, and whose installer I can use anytime on any computer but they need a client like Steam that I can browse through, install games through, manage saves, etc. Then I would use them even more. What people love about Steam is the convenience.
I can see the benefit of such a system, granted they remain DRM free, but on the flip side I view that as more monopolistic in nature. More sites like GOG exist and I think they're terrific. Sure they could streamline their market, but I can't think of much more they can do other than mimic other sites that do it better, which is subjective.

Having various sites that just sell the software without DRM seems best to me because it keeps things nice and unrestricted. My ownership is not in question or challenged, and I can pick and choose based on who's offering what. For example I picked up The Witcher 2 from Green Guy but could use the key on GOG where it cost more. Not that I need these places to allow me an all access pass to one for another. I just like the open market style they provide as opposed to Steam, which frankly I personally cannot stand at all.

Steam doesn't need the DRM to be so attractive to users, it needs the DRM to stay attractive to publishers.

What I want from GOG.com or someone else is a Steam style front end that allows me to download, manage, and launch my games, connect with friends, download patches, sync save games, etc. just like Steam does but without DRM. The front end could download the very same DRM-free installers that we download now through the browser or through their downloader, but allow us to manage them and more through a front end just like Steam.

That is what I want.
I kind of figured as much, and I can see the attraction for such and management tool. I think the first part of your comment, while very much true, is silly since Steam games are probably just as pirated as the non-steam stuff. Like most DRM it's still punishes users more, but this is hardly the point of our exchange.

If everyone and their mother wasn't out trying to cram some version of Steam, Origin, GFWL, Ubisoftcoreisbestcore up my bum I'd probably be more okay with the idea. Then again a governing all powerful everything or nothing, "All your balls are belong to us" ELUA and DRM isn't attractive either. Hell EA didn't even have one of those per se and they still blocked some poor dope from playing his purchased copy of Dragon Age 2 because he said impolite things on their message board, and as a consumer that scares me away.

GOG has nothing like this, they open the cage and set me free and let me fly unrestricted, and for that I return to them with only love and money, legal and tender, you get the idea.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:

That is what I want.
I kind of figured as much, and I can see the attraction for such and management tool. I think the first part of your comment, while very much true, is silly since Steam games are probably just as pirated as the non-steam stuff. Like most DRM it's still punishes users more, but this is hardly the point of our exchange.

If everyone and their mother wasn't out trying to cram some version of Steam, Origin, GFWL, Ubisoftcoreisbestcore up my bum I'd probably be more okay with the idea. Then again a governing all powerful everything or nothing, "All your balls are belong to us" ELUA and DRM isn't attractive either. Hell EA didn't even have one of those per se and they still blocked some poor dope from playing his purchased copy of Dragon Age 2 because he said impolite things on their message board, and as a consumer that scares me away.

GOG has nothing like this, they open the cage and set me free and let me fly unrestricted, and for that I return to them with only love and money, legal and tender, you get the idea.
*EDIT: Misread your comment* All DRM gets cracked. No major publishers release new games without it regardless.

But this DRM stuff has been rehashed a million times. People whine and complain about Origin not really because it is another client but because it is DRM laden and offers a demonstrably worse user experience than Steam. Why do you think everybody and their cousin uses Steam? Why do you think Steam regularly peaks at well over 5 million concurrent users? It is the services they provide outside of selling you a game.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:

That is what I want.

*EDIT: Misread your comment* All DRM gets cracked. No major publishers release new games without it regardless.

But this DRM stuff has been rehashed a million times. People whine and complain about Origin not really because it is another client but because it is DRM laden and offers a demonstrably worse user experience than Steam. Why do you think everybody and their cousin uses Steam? Why do you think Steam regularly peaks at well over 5 million concurrent users? It is the services they provide outside of selling you a game.
I saw the original post.
"Ouch, baby, very ouch." - Austin Powers

Some companies seem to be relaxing their DRM practices, including EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft. Also, aside from an initial slip up CD Projekt seems set to avoid this altogether, The Witcher 2 itself published by a lot of major publishers. I want to think this idea will catch on someday.

I honestly don't know anyone that admits they use Steam in my personal life, and I tend to think younger people are more okay with it than older people. The whole thing about Origin and GFWL and such was more reflective of my own feelings anyway.

Now if you excuse me I'm going back to my bomb shelter.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
Amir Kondori said:
Icehearted said:
CardinalPiggles said:

That is what I want.

I saw the original post.
"Ouch, baby, very ouch." - Austin Powers

Some companies seem to be relaxing their DRM practices, including EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft. Also, aside from an initial slip up CD Projekt seems set to avoid this altogether, The Witcher 2 itself published by a lot of major publishers. I want to think this idea will catch on someday.

I honestly don't know anyone that admits they use Steam in my personal life, and I tend to think younger people are more okay with it than older people. The whole thing about Origin and GFWL and such was more reflective of my own feelings anyway.

Now if you excuse me I'm going back to my bomb shelter.
Our server crashed and I had been working 13 hour days getting us back up and running, so I shouldn't have been posting at all.
The problem with statements like "I don't know anyone that admits they use Steam in my personal life" and "I tend to think younger people are more okay with it than older people" is that these are anecdotal and you are not supporting them with any evidence.
If we want to go with anecdotal evidence I work at a shop with 5 main employee's besides the owner and the bookkeeper and 4 out of the 5 of us use Steam. As far as only younger people feeling comfortable with Steam here is some more anecdotal evidence, I am in my 30's and I have been using Steam since 2007, not buying a boxed package this whole time.

Let us disregard anecdotal evidence and just look at the facts. The facts are that when it comes to PC gaming the biggest venue is digital distribution, not boxed retail copies, and Steam has an estimated 80% of that market. Gamers have spoken and the word they speak is Steam.

Origin is terrible and GFWL is terrible. Those services were never setup to offer compelling services to gamers, they were setup to sell direct to consumers and institute DRM. That is why those services have been so poorly received. It really is all about the services. This is why I want a Steam like front end for GOG.com. I would spend more time with my GOG library in front of me, probably play more of my GOG.com games, definitely would end up buying more, and it would be convenient to have all the things I have mentioned previous.

How far off is that from what you want from a games delivery service? What about that sounds attractive to you and what sounds unattractive?

WraithGames

Nov 1, 2013
It's happened again, I am one of this unfortunate people and I ain't pleased!
Talk about selling a dead kitten...