Fallout 3, will it be changed?

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
Saltiness said:
I believe that it was the images of the drugs (ie: syringes, realism etc) that were more of a major issue. Change the pictures, rename Heroin. Win. Pity the game looks dull.
Ah, if it's the names of the drugs etc that's the problem I guess that's changable, still a shame though, like the black and white sequence in Kill Bill.

birdboy

Jun 18, 2008
Shamtee said:
I don't think they'll change the drug aspect in the game for the AU market - mainly due to that being one of the games stables in all the games. I don't think it being banned from sale will stop people getting there hands on it - unless they arrest you for owning a copy which i doubt.
Sadly they could actually lock you up for 10 years, or fine you an odd 250'000 dollars if you tried to import Fallout 3, or any other game that's been Refused Classification.

Which brings us on to a more interesting point, how would customs know that you have Fallout 3 in your suitcase? The sniffer dogs can't smell video games, as far as I know, and if they were to start opening up packages coming from overseas, on the suspicion they contain games that are inappropriate for adults, then it's be interesting to see how long before someone sues them

Back to the point, my guess is that Bethesda might change the picture of the needle for morphine, this being the main sticking point according to the OFLC report.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
But didn't GTA 4 get released in Australia (did it really? serious question), I mean that is a game where EVERYONE uses drugs, there's profanity, violence, bad language, how did that go around?

IndieRocker

Mar 25, 2008
metagaia said:
Saltiness said:
I believe that it was the images of the drugs (ie: syringes, realism etc) that were more of a major issue. Change the pictures, rename Heroin. Win. Pity the game looks dull.
Wtf if syringes are the problem just make the drugs drinks. It will take about five minutes to change

birdboy

Jun 18, 2008
laikenf said:
But didn't GTA 4 get released in Australia (did it really? serious question), I mean that is a game where EVERYONE uses drugs, there's profanity, violence, bad language, how did that go around?
Rockstar apparently edited GTA IV to fit with the maximum, MA15+ rating. On the other hand, New Zealand got an unedited version, the annoying buggers.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
I don't get why they'd have such a problem with the syringes anyway. Sure, if an underage kid just happens to play Fallout 3, and just happens to acquire morphine/heroin over the course of the game, he might learn how one could inject oneself with said drugs, assuming he didn't know already.

What's the problem with that? Said child is hardly likely to find ready loaded needles of heroin lying around the house, is he?

Saltiness

Dec 3, 2007
if they were to start opening up packages coming from overseas, on the suspicion they contain games that are inappropriate for adults, then it's be interesting to see how long before someone sues them
If they did they'd just be throwing them away. The search/siezure would probably go under something or other of "prohibited goods". They don't need to expand on it more then that.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
metagaia said:
Saltiness said:
Ah, if it's the names of the drugs etc that's the problem I guess that's changable, still a shame though, like the black and white sequence in Kill Bill.
I actualy thought that the black and white part made the movie better.

My understanding is that the problem was that the game "encouraged" use of Morphine (gave bonuses for it). Haze wasn't a problem since "Nectar" isn't a real drug. Changing the name to Terpotium or some other imaginary drug name should solve the problem and it would hardly ruin the game.

franzuu

Jun 4, 2008
if its drug use then they should call it "Beneficial substance with no apparent side effects"

Or the aussies can buy it from e-bay or any other international shipping website.
Or a digital purchase.
Of course if you are a vicious outlaw you can pirate it.

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
J'aen said:
I don't get why they'd have such a problem with the syringes anyway. Sure, if an underage kid just happens to play Fallout 3, and just happens to acquire morphine/heroin over the course of the game, he might learn how one could inject oneself with said drugs, assuming he didn't know already.

What's the problem with that? Said child is hardly likely to find ready loaded needles of heroin lying around the house, is he?
Pardon me if I'm incorrect (I'm not familiar with the law in AU), but it seems to be born of the "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy. The less someone comes in contact with situations where viewing drug use as being taken lightly or even encouraged (some video games/movies); the more likely they are to better handle real situations involving drugs, and treating them with 'clear' respect for both the positives/negatives of the drug.

Then again, that really only makes a difference if properly educated about drugs, parental guidance, blah blah etc etc...

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
I have a rough idea of how to use a gun thanks to games/movies, even hough I'm too young to get one legally. This is not a problem, as I will probably never own, use or even hold a gun. Even if I did get my hands on a gun somehow, I would know to be very careful with it, so that's still not a problem.

So I still don't get why the Australian government are refusing to classify Fallout 3.

Flipscore

Jul 23, 2008
So then why don't they just call the Drugs Buffout, Mentats, Mutie, Voodoo, Afterburner, Jet and Psycho like they used to?

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
Flipscore said:
So then why don't they just call the Drugs Buffout, Mentats, Mutie, Voodoo, Afterburner, Jet and Psycho like they used to?
I thought they were. I thought the issue was about the depiction of drug use period, irregardless of what it was named. I haven't been keeping a close eye on the game so I can't be for sure.

If that's the case. I can't blame them based on their current judgement. Whether it's called heroin needle or snazzle pop, its still a syringe based drug.

Anyway, I'm with a previous poster, in that, for an AU censored release they could change all the drug items to another item type entirely. They may need to re-record some dialogue though...

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
For the sake of gaming, I hope the Australian just looks at themselves and realize that releasing a game with drug use is not the end of the world and not like people would use drug to react the game. Its like stopping drug dealers by not allowing people to walk on the streets anymore, sure it would hamper drug use but ultimately you're stopping one thing by ruining everything making nobody happy.

Making compromises where nobodies satisfied, but the forces of evil of course.

Which are obviously soccer moms that don't even have kids over 17, which was the audience the game was made for, but when the words game and drugs go together they shit themselves and become all frustrated. Which then leads them to act like their 7 year old boy, who probably are still scared of the needles and is a ***** to take to the doctor, and just attack what they think is the enemy, which of course is games, because "Why are those people having so much? *gasp they must be getting the same drugs they are using in the game, because if they use it in an virtual environment (thank you Dr. McKay) they must also being use it in real life, because it works that way! This coupled with the fact that I'm a retard parent and never talked to my kids how drug are bad! Now I'm going to write to the governor." so said the flustered parent.

Wolfdale

Apr 28, 2008
Within comings months I'm moving to Australia, and can safely say that it doesn't bother me in the least. Then again, I'm one of those guys who will just buy it for American prices (either before I leave or over the Internet) and play it on the PS3 that is moving there with me (even though it's region free, still cheaper to pack it in my carry-on).

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
Aries_Split said:
No. If they edit, I will lose any respect I've ever had for Bethesda.
You do know that Interplay (Publishers of the original Fallouts) edited the UK version of Fallout so that there wouldn't be children in it so that you couldn't kill them, right?

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
So when you say "edit", do you mean only for Australia or for everyone that gets a copy of the game?

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
J'aen said:
I have a rough idea of how to use a gun thanks to games/movies, even hough I'm too young to get one legally. This is not a problem, as I will probably never own, use or even hold a gun. Even if I did get my hands on a gun somehow, I would know to be very careful with it, so that's still not a problem.

So I still don't get why the Australian government are refusing to classify Fallout 3.
Ever been shooting before? Some damn good fun to be had, try it.
ON TOPIC: So I'm getting if they change the name to like : "Stim pack" or something, it'll get through?

clarinetJWD

Jul 9, 2008
From what I understand, the problem is two-fold. One part, the use of real world drugs, is easily changed (It's not the injection that's objectionable...look at Bioshock). THe second, however is harder: the game mechanic of addiction to said drug.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
clarinetJWD said:
From what I understand, the problem is two-fold. One part, the use of real world drugs, is easily changed (It's not the injection that's objectionable...look at Bioshock). THe second, however is harder: the game mechanic of addiction to said drug.
Australia needs to stop being difficult.