Fallout 4 critic vs audience reviews for pc port.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
I'm not sure if I can say that Bethesda or Warner are the first large companies i'd like to see burn in this industry, but it's a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36odfqA-Xqw

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I really don't get the hate for this game... I've been having a blast. The perils of the hype train I guess.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
the_dramatica said:
I'm not sure if I can say that Bethesda or Warner are the first large companies i'd like to see burn in this industry, but it's a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36odfqA-Xqw

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4
Your OP is kind of lacking in discussion right now. Perhaps edit in what you think of the game, and ask people here what they think of Fallout 4? :)

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
I've yet to complete it. What i'm excited about is the difference between critics and consumers, which is rare on AAA games.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Over half the people with low reviews seem to have done no research whatsoever on the product they bought, ***** about their precious graphics, people who need to realize that the new Fallout isn't for them, and people who are having a tough time learning that a lot of the Minutemen quests are meant to be repeating, never-ending quests of raider killing. You do them after you've done everything else and still want to kill shit. The negative reviews also seem to be all on PC, with both console ports heaving higher positives than negatives.

I'm not even saying the game is a perfect ten, at the best it's an eight for me and at the worst a 6.5. Maybe the PC version is a piece of shit, but I've only had one possible glitch in my twenty hours of play time. .

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I've yet to meet anyone in real life who has hated the game and to be blunt, I trust metacritics user reviews about as much as I trust the homeless man who screams about how aliens stole his brain so now he's a tomato.

Also, the difference between critic reviews and consumer reviews on AAA being so different is rare? Because I can think of a TON of examples right now that are the same like Call of Duty Black Ops III (83 to 4.7), Metal Gear Phantom Pain (95 to 7.2), Destiny The Taken King (90 to 5.0), Halo 5 (85 to 6.6). Note: I am looking at the Xbox One scores for reference

Hell, on Metacritic, out of what I would consider AAA, The Witcher 3 (they've graduated to AAA by now, right?) and Rise of the Tomb Raider are the only games without a huge difference between critic and user score.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Is anyone even surprised that No Mutants Allowed and similar places decided to metabomb Fallout 4? Most of the metabombing amounts to little more then "Bethesda ruined the series because I don't like the kind of games they make".

If you excuse me, I've got to go eat dinner so I can play more Fallout 4 afterwards.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Is anyone even surprised that No Mutants Allowed and similar places decided to metabomb Fallout 4? Most of the metabombing amounts to little more then "Bethesda ruined the series because I don't like the kind of games they make".

If you excuse me, I've got to go eat dinner so I can play more Fallout 4 afterwards.
Someone wrote a lengthy spiel on the Steam forums requesting Bethesda relinquish the IP to people who know better. Apart from the fact that's the wrong place to put it, the reasons he lsits are pretty amusing. I assume it's a poe, but who can tell these days.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
the_dramatica said:
I've yet to complete it. What i'm excited about is the difference between critics and consumers, which is rare on AAA games.
Erm, it's not rare at all? Especially if you're using meta critic as a gauge, any time certain parts of the gaming community feel like they have an axe to grind (ie with pretty much any big release), this happens.

That user score will more than likely change quite a bit over the coming months. I wouldn't take your pants off yet.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
I really don't get the hate for this game... I've been having a blast. The perils of the hype train I guess.
For me its the fact that it forces a backstory on you for no apparent reason besides a bad story and removes alot of the rpg elements that I like about past games especially New Vegas

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
This does not surprise me at all given that people who decide they don't prefer a game give ratings that have the nuance of a nuke.

Critic - "The game does many things it sets out to do well and was fun to play but this and that weren't as polished as I'd have liked, 8/10.

Fan - "The game changed the skills system and I hope everyone who plays it and likes it dies in a raging inferno of my never ending hate. 1/10 only because I can't give it negative a millionty/10. I hope Bethesda gets cancer!"

That's not to say the critic is right and the fan is wrong but this is why scoring systems for critical reviews are useless, especially from people who lose nothing by being petulant in their review (the fan.)

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Fallout NV's user rating is exactly the same as critic rating, F3's is slightly lower. Maybe it's the game? Since when is "I don't like the direction this series is going" not a valid criticism? What about Resident Evil? A lot of the disconnect between users and critics comes from the fact that, unlike professional critics, most users can't afford small car priced PC builds that just steamroll over bad optimisation. I'm not saying that this is the case, but we should consider these points before defaulting to "NMA trolls are metabombing the game". Massive media over-hyping is another possible reason.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Most of my gripes about the game are technical in nature. The fact I had to adjust a bunch of config files before the game was in a playable state for me because of low FOV, mouse smoothing, mouse acceleration, and a few other things. It also has a god awful UI for a PC game, which I am mostly used to by now for most games. It just bugs me because if Larian Studios can make a totally unique UI for console and another one for PC, with their 30 cent budget. Why can't Bethesda? Answer, laziness.

The game also seems to be way cut down on RPG aspects, and more of an action shooter. Good basis for modding though. I am sure the game will be much improved once the community starts working on it. Which isn't really a positive for Bethesda in my book.

That said, it is about what I expected. Its fun, with a ton of problems and lots of missed opportunity. A bit like Skyrim was. I'll enjoy it.

But seriously, fuck the UI.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Because I totally trust VaderHater365 who says "Dumbed down for the filthy casuals" and gives the game a 0. Sounds like a well thought out and unbiased stance to me. I should come to him for all my game recommendations.

Fans are finicky things that only like it if you always give them the same tuna fish sandwich every single day. Give them prime rib, and they'll complain that there's no bread.

Ultimately, the fan is going to compare F4 to all that came before it. Change a little thing, and people hate you for it. Change a lot, and people hope you die in a fire. A professional reviewer is faced with deciding whether the game is fun or not, and the general consensus is "It's different, but it's still fun". Is it wrong for them to give the game a positive review because they enjoyed playing it? Must they always swim to the whims of the fans?

I'm not sure when everyone decided that rabid fans were the most unbiased reviewers for a game anyway. A fan is, by definition, biased. They have an idea of what is "acceptable" in a squeal and anything that doesn't fit that narrow definition is considered sacrilegious. Seems to me like the people who review games as a job will be more likely to give you a balanced review.

You don't like F4? Fine. That's an opinion and you're entitled to have those. But just because someone else has a different opinion doesn't mean they're part of a massive conspiracy to get people to...um, buy more games from Bethesda? The company that made Skyrim? The game that surpassed the 20 million copies sold mark in 2014? Seriously?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I paid for a physical copy of the game because I have horrible Internet services in my area. A physical copy that only installed about 5gb of content, forcing me to download 19gb of content. For a physical copy. This is why I hate the game.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
A triple AAA hype train game getting high critical ratings and low user ratings? Shocking.

I'm not review bombing it but I'm not jumping on the hype wagon either. It is a Bethesda game after all. That means wait a year or two for the mods and DLC to fix it. I don't get anyone who pre-orders games these days, especially a Bethesda game.

What annoys the hell out of me though, is if it wasn't a AAA developer who made it and it was released with so many bugs, the critics would pan it too.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Adamantium93 said:
I'm not sure when everyone decided that rabid fans were the most unbiased reviewers for a game anyway. A fan is, by definition, biased. They have an idea of what is "acceptable" in a squeal and anything that doesn't fit that narrow definition is considered sacrilegious. Seems to me like the people who review games as a job will be more likely to give you a balanced review.
Fallout 4 has a lot of issues, but this is right on the money. User reviews are, have always been, and will continue to be extraordinarily useless. You have to shift through a lot of dross to mine one or two nugget of gold, and since it's very rare that users post consistently and can be recognized by name, it's pretty hard to track one guy and find out if his tastes happen to align with yours.

Anyone holding up the user review as the "honest" face of games criticism is out of their fucking mind.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Xyebane said:
A triple AAA hype train game getting high critical ratings and low user ratings? Shocking.

I'm not review bombing it but I'm not jumping on the hype wagon either. It is a Bethesda game after all. That means wait a year or two for the mods and DLC to fix it. I don't get anyone who pre-orders games these days, especially a Bethesda game.

What annoys the hell out of me though, is if it wasn't a AAA developer who made it and it was released with so many bugs, the critics would pan it too.
Like they did with Assassin's Creed Unity?