Fallout 4 critic vs audience reviews for pc port.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
It's Fallout 3 again, but prettier and with a few differences that haven't really impacted the core of it.

The negativity is...well...to be expected? Welcome to AAA.

But I will agree with some of the bitching about the PC port.

Arrow keys to select conversation options? Tab to go backwards in menus? Iffy response to clicks on UI items that makes it readily apparent that it's designed for a controller?

Annoying me, Bethesda.

Performance wise?

I'm running an i5-2500k at about 4GHZ with a GTX 970 on Ultra everything.
No problems whatsoever.
Smooth framerate.
All good.

Some bugs. Mostly camera related. It's Bethesda though so I'm not really bothered.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
As others have said, Metacritic's user """"""reviews"""""" are some of the worst on the internet. To be honest, I don't think I can take a single one of those 0/10 reviews seriously. There are very few games I can even think of that would deserve a 0/10.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I have realized that if the metacritic user scores result in a huge green bar, a tiny yellow bar, and a huge red bar, you can usually discount most of the red reviews at butthurting.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I have no idea what people are criticizing, the "problems" people have with the game have mostly existed in Fallout since...forever...I think what we have here is a bunch of people that primarily play CoD or whatever shooter is popular trotting over to Fallout 4 because they heard the fallout series is good, and then complaining when it's not what they like...I'm obviously generalizing massively, but again the "criticism" I've seen is so all over the place that I just have no idea what people are even talking about half the time...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
None of this is surprising. It's why I prefer critic over user reviews at the end of the day.

Let's say that the grieviances the reviewers have against Fallout 4 are legitimate, and not stemming from irrational bias/dislike. No doubt a few are. But are you really saying that this game deserves 0/10? Really?

It's the same reaction that Diablo III had when it came out, and the same reason why Black Ops 3 is rated so low, by virtue of being a CoD game. Now, I'm not that interested in either F4 or the CoD series, but being an intelligent individual (I hope), I can see the difference between reviewing and review bombing. And I'll hazard a guess that F4 is suffering the latter.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
thewatergamer said:
I have no idea what people are criticizing, the "problems" people have with the game have mostly existed in Fallout since...forever...I think what we have here is a bunch of people that primarily play CoD or whatever shooter is popular trotting over to Fallout 4 because they heard the fallout series is good, and then complaining when it's not what they like...I'm obviously generalizing massively, but again the "criticism" I've seen is so all over the place that I just have no idea what people are even talking about half the time...
Considering many of the negative reviews complain that it's becoming too "CoD-ified", I think your assumptions are way off mark. Many of the negative reviews seem to be from fans of the older Fallout games, unhappy with the stripping of RPG mechanics, and many others are down rating it for various technical issues it has.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
LostGryphon said:
It's Fallout 3 again, but prettier and with a few differences that haven't really impacted the core of it.

The negativity is...well...to be expected? Welcome to AAA.

But I will agree with some of the bitching about the PC port.

Arrow keys to select conversation options? Tab to go backwards in menus? Iffy response to clicks on UI items that makes it readily apparent that it's designed for a controller?

Annoying me, Bethesda.

Performance wise?

I'm running an i5-2500k at about 4GHZ with a GTX 970 on Ultra everything.
No problems whatsoever.
Smooth framerate.
All good.

Some bugs. Mostly camera related. It's Bethesda though so I'm not really bothered.
Just to let you know, you can hold shift and use WASD to select conversation options, same for the workshop menu. Still makes no sense to default to it, but they did it so that you can use WASD to just walk away from conversations whenever you want. I don't know why they wouldn't just make something like tab or shift immediately end the conversation then let you walk away. I've heard you can use the number keys for conversations as well but haven't tested that one myself

OT: This is common for AAA games, some small portion of gamers have a bug up their ass about something and have decided to express their outrage in the most childish way possible, by giving a game a ridiculously low score and making even the shadiest of big reviewers look like bastions of critical integrity by comparison. Some of the negative reviews are well written and eloquently express the problems of the game, and even manage to bring up points I never really considered before; the other 99.99% of reviews are throwing out 1's and 2's with no actual thought or reason beyond they didn't like it, or even worse, because they don't think the game deserves its hype or praise so post just to be contradictory.

Ah well, I have thoroughly enjoyed both Fallout 4 on PC and the New Tomb Raider on Xbox 1, neither are perfect games, and big review sites seem to suffer from score inflation where anything under a 7 might as well not exist, but Fallout 4 definitely is scratching my RPG itch, between this, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Arkham Knight, and Pillars of Eternity, this has been a damn good year for me. I haven't had this many games I've wanted to play so badly since the early 2000's.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
ravenshrike said:
The original Pip Boy was a tablet like device. Because Beth came up with the fucking idiotic ergonomically armband idea, they had to retroactively change the armband to be the original incarnation of the Pip Boy in the intro.
Yes and no. According to the fallout wiki:
The original Pip-Boy 2000 was a hand-held device[2], though some very cumbersome models were made to be worn on the arm. These models were unofficially called Pip-Boy 2000 Plus, and one of them was owned by the Vault Dweller and later the Chosen One[3].

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
F-I-D-O said:
My main surprise is Bethesda regressed from earlier games to game logic/speed seemingly being tied to framerate,
It looks very much like this is a problem with the Gamebryo/Creation engine, rather than with FO4 specifically.

Because, believe it or not, Skyrim had exactly the same issue: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1280991-do-not-disable-vsync/
Check the date on that thread; November 2011.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Fallout 4 is, so far, the best thing since sliced bread.

This is the 3rd Fallout game from Bethesda, and some people are still complainingn that they changed teh view from isometric to first person.
Metracritic is garbage anyway,I trust professional reviews more.

FirstNameLastName said:
Many of the negative reviews seem to be from fans of the older Fallout games, unhappy with the stripping of RPG mechanics, and many others are down rating it for various technical issues it has.
It's been 3 games now, so complaining that it's not still an isometric 90's style RPG is getting a little old.
Played Fallout 4, still wasn't isometric.
1/10

Oct 22, 2011
The 0/10 scores are obviou trolling/frustration venting. I mean, unless your game litteraly doesn't work... But they're not that surprising. With hype treatment every big release seems to be getting these days, backlash is almost guaranteed. CoD for example is getting it every year, and Fallout isn't an exception.

That being said, i doubt low scores can be only atributed to angry people at NMA. I think they're too small to affect user reviews like that.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
008Zulu said:
I paid for a physical copy of the game because I have horrible Internet services in my area. A physical copy that only installed about 5gb of content, forcing me to download 19gb of content. For a physical copy. This is why I hate the game.
Has absolutely nothing to do with the game, hate Valve if you must.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
distortedreality said:
The topic originally started out about how some people do and don't like the game. How is me stating what I don't like about it, not relevant?

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Well, yeah, but... 78% on Steam Store. That's not so bad, right?

Still waiting for a price cut though.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
008Zulu said:
distortedreality said:
The topic originally started out about how some people do and don't like the game. How is me stating what I don't like about it, not relevant?
Your reason for not liking the game is about as relevant as why a baby vomits.

Couldn't care less if you don't like the game. But you didn't actually give a reason for not liking the game that actually had anything to do with the game.

Would be like me saying "I don't like the sun because cinnamon".

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
distortedreality said:
008Zulu said:
distortedreality said:
Your reason for not liking the game is about as relevant as why a baby vomits.

Couldn't care less if you don't like the game. But you didn't actually give a reason for not liking the game that actually had anything to do with the game.

Would be like me saying "I don't like the sun because cinnamon".
Wait, so how is Valve relevant in that case? Did Gabe go to the Bethesda and force them at gunpoint to have a big chunk of their game still need to be downloaded?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i miss the skill checks with things, it added a dimension thats missing in FO4, but that said im enjoying the new perk system as well, love the settlement construction even if it is a fiddly ***** of a thing and the so far the only bugs ive had is a single CTD and a quarry had texture issues that was fixed with a reload.

all up id give it a solid 7 or 8 out of 10

*edit* thats now dropped to a solid 4 or 5 after spending the last 5 hours getting the damn thing to not crash and to run including 2 reinstalls, saying its annoying after 30+ hours is an understatement

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
the_dramatica said:
MysticSlayer said:
A 4.8 on a site where it is well-known that users will do everything from writing protest reviews, troll reviews, not-played-the-game reviews, and exaggerated-negativity reviews seems OK.
Still playing FO4 so can't contribute itt yet, but here's some old stuff.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/50134/report-gamespots-gerstmann-fired-due
http://imgur.com/SKPqAll
http://i.imgur.com/44GtP.jpg

A basic concern with professional reviews is that they get blacklisted out of early game access if they are known for critical reviews, and getting your review on the market early is considered key for some companies. Anyway that's the tinfoil theory on pro reviews that everybody here probably already knows, just posting it just in case.
I'm aware of some of the concerns and have my own thoughts about them. However, I don't really see the point in trusting random users on a site that people have, in the past, used to protest something they didn't like, propagate their fanboy wars, "even out" the positive or negative skew of reviews, and complain about ridiculous stuff such as whether or not the game got to them on time.

I can at least, over time, begin to understand how much I agree with critics both at major publications and that are self-employed. I can't do that with Metacritic user reviews.