Fallout 4 Has an "Infinite Caps" Glitch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Fallout 4 Has an "Infinite Caps" Glitch

Not all glitches are created equal.

A Fallout 4 exploit that gives you access to an "unlimited" number of caps - the in-game currency - has been discovered. YouTuber ZibbeZabbe [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxxjEQH_7R1oM4iSPNEbHQw] posted a video of the exploit yesterday. Essentially, when entering into a barter, this glitch recognizes an abundance of ammunition that is not actually present, and results in the vendor owing you a significant number of caps. While you will only be walking away with the maximum number the vendor started with, you will be able to use what they owe you in order to purchase their entire inventory. You can find out exactly how to do it below.

1. Head to a vendor and enter into a barter. Decide which ammo type you want to use.
2. In the vendor's inventory (right), select a type of ammo and purchase all of it. DO NOT finalize the deal by hitting 'accept' the second time.
4. In your inventory (left), sell back one of the same ammunition that you just 'bought.' Again, do not finalize by hitting 'accept' the second time.
5. In your inventory again, select the rest of the ammo and sell them all back. You will be left with one. Continue pressing the 'sell' button, and the number of bottle caps on your side will go up. Once the vendor owes you a bunch of caps, you can purchase the rest of their inventory.
6. Once you've selected everything you want from the vendor, accept the trade. While you will only end up walking away with however many caps the vendor has on hand, you can also walk away with their entire stock - which is what you'd be using the caps on anyway.

Jackpot!

As of the time of this posting, the glitch is still present. Bethesda is probably going to fix this soon, so if you want it, you better hurry.

Sep 14, 2009
my first thought:

"Oh, I can just tell fallout 4 not to update until I tell it to"

short of running on offline mode forever, I just realized how fucking stupid steam is by removing the option to disable auto-updates...I'm not sure when they removed it (for certain games maybe), but that really pisses me off now considering the game has no online mode so I wouldn't be competing against anyone else.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
As far as Bethesda glitches go, that's pretty tame. It's not quite on the level of Morrowind's infinite stats or Oblivion's infinite items.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
I had a weird glitch happen where now I have 3000 of the same ammo type. I have no idea what I did.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Hope they take a Witcher 3 route with this glitch. Fix the bug but send some insane robotic tax drone after you if you did it.

Either that or copy the cow exploit solution and just sent a giant gold radroach after you.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Daemascus said:
Or you know, just enter the console command for as many caps as you want.
That's true but console players will (once again) be left out in the rain if Bethesda decides to patch this.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Daemascus said:
That's true but console players will (once again) be left out in the rain if Bethesda decides to patch this.
No-one forced them to buy the game on an inferior system...

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Bethesda's QA track record is shoddy at best, I am not surprised that this has come up.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Meanwhile PC players have console commands. Kind of cute though that this is a thing in the console world.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Glaice said:
Bethesda's QA track record is shoddy at best, I am not surprised that this has come up.
In their defence, it would've never occurred to me to improvise the steps you gotta do to trigger the glitch. Sometimes I think I just lack the imagination for this stuff.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
infinite money glitches exist in most games. but this is ridiculously easy to abuse. apparently no testing before release for bethesda games.

gmaverick019 said:
my first thought:

"Oh, I can just tell fallout 4 not to update until I tell it to"

short of running on offline mode forever, I just realized how fucking stupid steam is by removing the option to disable auto-updates...I'm not sure when they removed it (for certain games maybe), but that really pisses me off now considering the game has no online mode so I wouldn't be competing against anyone else.
go to "beta" tab in options. select old patch from the list before this got fixed. now your game is permanently stuck in that patch unless you disable the beta participation and let it autoupdate again. it will NOT update automatically with this selection.

Revolutionary said:
Meanwhile PC players have console commands. Kind of cute though that this is a thing in the console world.
console commands are awesome. spawn a group of monsters, make yourself invisible and watch them attack a town!

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Daemascus said:
No-one forced them to buy the game on an inferior system...
One, two, three, four, I declare a platform war.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I sure hope they work on the subtitles glitch, where it gets confused if more than one person speaks to you, so decides to bail out entirely on them. It's a good thing i'm not deaf, meth-head-bra; lip-reading from your facial animation serves only to remind me of the entropy we will all eventually experience.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Or you know... we could not cheat at the game and play it because we enjoy it... novel concept.

Bravo Escapist... by all means the glitch is news worthy, but explaining how to do it, is pretty pathetic.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Already figured it out.

Honestly, these things are probablyone of my favorite part of Bethesda games, and I mean that in a good way. I like using exploits in these kinds of games. I've abused the hell out of the duplicate glitch in Oblivion and the Oghma Infinium in Skyrim. It makes the game more fun for me.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Demagogue said:
Or you know... we could not cheat at the game and play it because we enjoy it... novel concept.

Bravo Escapist... by all means the glitch is news worthy, but explaining how to do it, is pretty pathetic.
And worse, they are sending an armed man to your location to force you cheat at gunpoint!

The bastards.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Glitches like this are neat to find, but I never use them on purpose. So it's not really going to hurt me any if I miss out. Fallout is just not the type of series I like cheating around with. I save that for things like GTA, though I do tend to use the no clip command in fallout to get a better "behind the scenes" look at the environment. Sometimes it's neat to look at parts of the world you were never intended to.