Fallout 4 Has an "Infinite Caps" Glitch

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Daemascus said:
Or you know, just enter the console command for as many caps as you want.
That's true but console players will (once again) be left out in the rain if Bethesda decides to patch this.
No-one forced them to buy the game on an inferior system...
Oooooooo, d'ems fightin' words!

Seriously though, I loved Oblivion and Skyrim on my 360. Then I finally got a decent gaming PC and the first game I got was Skyrim.

......and I wept. I...I just didn't know! THE MODS! OH THE GLORIOUS MODS!!!!

And the cheat codes console commands were pretty useful too. :3

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Imre Csete said:
Demagogue said:
Or you know... we could not cheat at the game and play it because we enjoy it... novel concept.

Bravo Escapist... by all means the glitch is news worthy, but explaining how to do it, is pretty pathetic.
And worse, they are sending an armed man to your location to force you cheat at gunpoint!

The bastards.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. But how will the stop me from dropping the ill gotten goods? MY GAME IS RUINED!!!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Should be noted that this is also an infinite ammo cheat.

Should also be mentioned that this exploit is extremely common in Bethesda games. I don't even think they usually fix it. I think they want us to have the option if we want it. Just like in PC where we can open a console and slap whatever we want on our person.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
As far as Bethesda glitches go, that's pretty tame. It's not quite on the level of Morrowind's infinite stats or Oblivion's infinite items.
I still remember the glory days where you could fill the imperial city with a layer of apples and watch the game's framerate scream in horror before collapsing into a crash.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I remember stumbling across an infinite gold(septims?) glitch in Oblivion. You could repeat a conversation while handing in a quest and the reward was 10,000 gold(septims?). It was the only time I ever found an exploit of that magnitude. I used the hell out of it too because I feel that if I figure it out myself, then it's not cheating.

I will not be using this particular Fallout 4 exploit.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
vallorn said:
crimson5pheonix said:
As far as Bethesda glitches go, that's pretty tame. It's not quite on the level of Morrowind's infinite stats or Oblivion's infinite items.
I still remember the glory days where you could fill the imperial city with a layer of apples and watch the game's framerate scream in horror before collapsing into a crash.
Psh, I remember building a ladder out of paintbrushes to the top of the Imperial tower since they forgot to give paintbrushes physics.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
vallorn said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Psh, I remember building a ladder out of paintbrushes to the top of the Imperial tower since they forgot to give paintbrushes physics.
My headcannon is that that is how the gray fox performs his miraculous thefts. By exploiting the daedric magic of paintbrushes.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
vallorn said:
I found that merely playing the game would cause it to collapse and crash. Adding few mods certainly hastened the effect. This apple method seems like it requires more method and isn't as convenient to other alternatives of crashing the game.

crimson5pheonix said:
Well, actually they did. What happened, however, was that they decided to go a tad too realistic to what their physics engine could handle - since paint brushes are not really heavy (I've tried holding one IRL and I can confirm), Bethesda decided to be realistic and not really give them that much weight. However, they couldn't assign a number quite small enough that would accurately represent the weight - presumably they needed something like 0.02 or so, but weight could only go as low as 0.1, which obviously is not accurate enough. So the compromise was to round down and give paint brushesa weight of 0.0. But it turns out that items with no weight are not affected by gravity.

Imre Csete said:
Demagogue said:
Or you know... we could not cheat at the game and play it because we enjoy it... novel concept.

Bravo Escapist... by all means the glitch is news worthy, but explaining how to do it, is pretty pathetic.
And worse, they are sending an armed man to your location to force you cheat at gunpoint!

The bastards.
I must say, I came here to complain about that. I want to tell my story:

It all started last night - I wanted to go to sleep but...erm, I couldn't. I tried getting into the bed but it was as if it was walled off or as if I was being chased. But surely, I couldn't be, right? Well, wrong, for it was then I heard a noise from downstairs - and by I noise I mean it was LOUD. It was like an explosion but not quite, and it also shook the entire house. Again, like an explosion, but not quite. I keep mentioning explosions but again, were it an explostion there would have also been a bright flash of light for once but there wasn't, also the loud "bang" (for a lack of better description) lacked the, I dunno how best to describe it, it's the "explosive"-ly tinge to it. It was a bit dull.

And later I found the reason - the noise came from the front door of my house shattering. While still trying to gather my wits from the shock, I became aware of heavy steps downstairs. Heavy steps that probably belonged to feet wearing heavy steel boots. Steps that I certainly didn't want to encounter but alas, the heavy Thump-Thump-Thump sounded closer and closer. With rapidly rising dread, I realised the boots were on the stairs. Now, I probably should mention that my house isn't terribly big - I can't really do any sort of running away - the only way up or down is the stairs, and the only way out is down. I was on the second floor, however. I had precious seconds to think of what to do and with no other exit available to me - I lunged at the window. It would be about a 3 meter drop onto concrete, unfortunately. Well, if I managed to jump out far enough, I could hit grass, but I didn't really think of that at that point, my only thought was to flee as fast as possible through the only root possible.

Thus, I climbed onto the window frame when the last Thump-Thump ended just before my door. A second not-quite-explosion followed as my door flew into tiny pieces. I risked one last glance at what remained from the door frame before I jumped. I probably shouldn't have. What I saw there paralysed me with terror. There were, indeed, heavy steel boots, which were attached to legs also clad in heavy steel. The entire body that stayed there was entirely covered with steel. It was shiny, cold, ruthless steel with a blue-ish sheen, the wearer must have made extra care to polish the armour it until it was reflective. Most likely the intention was that the last thing the opponents of this armour faced, would be their own fear painfully evident on their own faces. But I have not finished yet - the top of the armour had there was a helmet that managed to leave the face in it in shadow such as it looker that there was no face in it. Well, aside from the two glowing dots that hovered where the eyes would normally be. They shined a light which was blue like the hue of the armour. The eye lights were also cold and ruthless like the armour.

I could not move, for I was in grips of terror unimaginable. The figure in the empty door frame walked in and in the process had to duck and turn sideways a bit, for it not fit through the now big hole where my door was. Once in, it rose to its full height of about 2.20m and I saw its weapon. It must have also been the instrument that turned two doors into splinters - it was a giant hammer. A normal man, a mortal, if you will, would probably need two hands to grip and use it comfortably, yet the figure seemed to quite easily hold it in one.

There was no doubt - if I was had doubts before, then setting sight upon that weapon had cast them aside - I was facing with a mod wielding an infamous banhammer. Looking at the blue sheen of the armour and the glowing blue eyes, I recognised the Escapist's colour scheme.

While I still say motionless in the window frame in the grips of fear, a sort of...rumbling erupted from the mod. More specifically, it was from inside the helmet. It took me a few moments to realise it was speaking. Its voice was like giant stones grinding the bones of the fallen. And I found I understood what it said with perfect clarity:

"S[small]TOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM[/small]!" it addressed me "N[small]OBODY PLAYS[/small] F[small]ALLOUT[/small] 4 [small]WITHOUT USING THE INFINITE CAPS GLITCH ON MY WATCH[/small]!"

I started trembling but I managed to collect myself enough to be able to answer: "I...I don't, even have Fallout 4 yet"

Before I could register any movement I was already lying on the floor - the mod had apparently grabbed and slammed me to the ground. Now I was held there by a steel grip on my neck that stopped just short of stopping my breathing. The two glowing eye-dots hovered eerily inside their helmet and just above my face.

"T[small]HEN YOU WOULD NEED TO BUY IT[/small]!" the mod rumbled.

"I...don't...have...money" I managed to utter trying to fight for a good breath of air.

The mod stood there above me for a few moments and I had the disturbing impression that it was...smiling. But I don't know for sure - I could only see the eyes and there was still only inky black darkness where the rest of its face would be. Several heartbeats passed[footnote]in my case, probably about 50 bajillion, as my heart was racing worse than it had ever before in my life.[/footnote] and it released me, stood up and unleashed its voice again:

"N[small]OBODY PLAYS[/small] F[small]ALLOUT[/small] 4 [small]WITHOUT USING THE INFINITE CAPS GLITCH ON MY WATCH[/small]!"

It said that, grabbed me by the ankle and started dragging me out of my room, down the stairs (which was painful) and to where the front door was once. I tried to struggle but to no avail as I was being dragged towards unknown doom. We arrived there and the vice-like grip released my ankle. I looked up to the mod and it was just pointing. Outside. I tried to stand without making any sudden moves and took a look to where it was pointing. There were bottles...lots and lots of bottles. More precisely, there were 3999 bottles. Each with a metallic cap. I realised what that meant

"You want me to drink them?"

I said and turned towards the mod. It just nodded slowly saying nothing. One bottle cap for each 1p I needed for the game...

And so I did - what choice did I have. The mod stood there watching me drink each one of those 3999 bottles. It then collected all the bottle caps, reached in some sort of...pocket, I guess, and pulled out a copy of Fallout 4 and placed it in front of me. I couldn't move after drinking all of that but the mod didn't move either. I was wandering what else it wanted when that terrible and familiar rumbling of its communication erupted again

"N[small]OBODY PLAYS[/small] F[small]ALLOUT[/small] 4 [small]WITHOUT USING THE INFINITE CAPS GLITCH ON MY WATCH[/small]!"

Oh no, it really wanted to finish its mission then. I had to install Fallout 4 and perform the glitch in front of it until it was satisfied and it left.

I then broke down and cried on the floor.

I was in too much emotional pain to notice how somewhere in the distance in the neighbourhood echoed the sound of something that was like an explosion but not quite...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
Kind of funny how PC users like myself can do almost anything because of the cheat command / mods while console users have to go with glitches lol. Then again, Xbox One users (and PS4 users too I think) will be able to download mods from PC into their console so perhaps they won't have to slave over getting enough caps to survive for once.
Heyyyy! I'm a humble console peasant and am offended you'd assume us hard-workin' dirty folk would want to cheat at all. What we lack in personal hygiene and inherited, horded wealth, we make up for in morals, sheer determination and respect for tough survival! ;)

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
No wai! A glitch in a newly-released bethesda game?! Who could have possibly predicted such a startling and unexpected outcome!

Really though, in my experience, you have to modulate how much you want to cheat in order for things to be fun. If everything is too easy, or you get it so that nothing feel real or has weight, the game isn't fun, but adding a few advantages or twerks can make the game more fun. Getting infinite caps takes away a lot of the gameplay, which i kinda like myself. It's kinda like that one episode of AVGN where he made the beat a game button, why pay $60 just to say you beat something? It's all about the experience.

Keep this in mind console gamers. We in the PC world have faced this before, and it's really a bummer when you ruin a game for yourself by over-cheating.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Edit: Accidentally quoted two users.
Caramel Frappe said:
Console Users: "This is a dream come true!! Oh my god YES!!"

PC Master Race: "Meh ..."

Kind of funny how PC users like myself can do almost anything because of the cheat command / mods while console users have to go with glitches lol. Then again, Xbox One users (and PS4 users too I think) will be able to download mods from PC into their console so perhaps they won't have to slave over getting enough caps to survive for once.
I think that's a little bit of a generalization. A speed run, for example, can use included glitches all they want, but using outside tools or command tools like noclip is obviously forbidden, since it isn't what the developers intended.

Finding glitches like these, likewise, have a "cool" factor not specifically because of their use as a cheat but just from a technological standpoint. "Oh, cool, there's a way to duplicate ammo and make the money owed by a vendor stretch into infinity" is functionally equivalent to "Oh, cool, there's a way to use this pipe after coaxing the screen into moving offset to the left a little and can skip a section," as both are included in the game's code and can be accessed without any internal/external tools.

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
Or...
player.additem f 200
player.additem a 25

Gold star for whoever guesses the second one.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
ravenshrike said:
There's also an infinite xp glitch using a locked safe an a compuer to lock it again and again. Of course, it only nets you the xp from unlocking a locked item each time, so using it to level above level 10 would be really, really slow.
There's also an infinite xp glitch where enemies respawn in certain areas allowing you to kill them over and over again!

All jokes aside, I don't understand why anyone would abuse such a glitch. It would be literally less fun and more time consuming than just killing things.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gorrath said:
ravenshrike said:
There's also an infinite xp glitch using a locked safe an a compuer to lock it again and again. Of course, it only nets you the xp from unlocking a locked item each time, so using it to level above level 10 would be really, really slow.
There's also an infinite xp glitch where enemies respawn in certain areas allowing you to kill them over and over again!

All jokes aside, I don't understand why anyone would abuse such a glitch. It would be literally less fun and more time consuming than just killing things.
Less fun yes, more time consuming no.

You literally just walk up to any vendor and buy all of one ammo type, give them a single bullet, then sell them the rest and then you've done all the heavy lifting. You just spam the single bullet a few times and then start clicking on the ammo you sold them and you not only get all of their cash but also all of their stuff that you want.

So if you want cash and stuff fast, there is no faster way. But if you want fun, yeah kill someone, leave the area, rest, come back, kill someone again. But don't call it faster.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Lightknight said:
Gorrath said:
ravenshrike said:

You literally just walk up to any vendor and buy all of one ammo type, give them a single bullet, then sell them the rest and then you've done all the heavy lifting. You just spam the single bullet a few times and then start clicking on the ammo you sold them and you not only get all of their cash but also all of their stuff that you want.

So if you want cash and stuff fast, there is no faster way. But if you want fun, yeah kill someone, leave the area, rest, come back, kill someone again. But don't call it faster.
Oh I wasn't talking about the caps glitch but the infinite lock-picking glitch. Finding a swarm of enemies or just building a bunch of things at your settlement is going to be worth more than re-picking the same lock over and over again. Depending on the difficulty of the lock you could spend a while trying to pick the thing for a rather meager XP award.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gorrath said:
Lightknight said:
Gorrath said:
ravenshrike said:

Oh I wasn't talking about the caps glitch but the infinite lock-picking glitch. Finding a swarm of enemies or just building a bunch of things at your settlement is going to be worth more than re-picking the same lock over and over again. Depending on the difficulty of the lock you could spend a while trying to pick the thing for a rather meager XP award.
Oh geeze, infinite lockpicking for experience? That would be nuts. I hear the insane asylum gives great loot, good experience, and is actually a challenge thanks to the enemies there lobbing Molotov cocktails like they never miss.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Lightknight said:
Gorrath said:
Lightknight said:
Gorrath said:
ravenshrike said:

Oh geeze, infinite lockpicking for experience? That would be nuts. I hear the insane asylum gives great loot, good experience, and is actually a challenge thanks to the enemies there lobbing Molotov cocktails like they never miss.
An asylum is exactly where I'd end up if I decided to grind xp for a few hours on Fallout's lockpicking game.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Daemascus said:
Or you know, just enter the console command for as many caps as you want.
That's true but console players will (once again) be left out in the rain if Bethesda decides to patch this.
No-one forced them to buy the game on an inferior system...
How about system requirements?