Fallout 4: Los Angeles Boneyard or Boston Commonwealth?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A big, well-fleshed out urban area, unlike the vapid DC Wasteland or the cut-up instanced New Vegas, would really pull me in. L.A. or New York City with all its different neighborhoods and whatnot. Could make for a really varied environment. In New York for instance you could go to a mutated and overgrown Central Park to the hedonistic pleasure palaces of Broadway to grim and gritty Brooklyn.

And I also pick those two cities because I could justify roleplaying Snake Plissken.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
I feel like the problem with Boston is that unlike the West coast, DC or Las Vegas, Boston doesn't really have the same level of a universally-known cultural identity, so it would be hard to come up with interesting stuff for the area. Maybe New York or New Orleans?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Personally, and I'm quite biased, I'd love to see a Fallout - Florida. Imagining the swamp post-nuclear sounds quite interesting. (Post-nuclear Disney World? Yes!) Plus mutant 'gators, Swamp Apes (Florida sasquatch) and other denizens of this strange land.
I believe the official canon on Florida is that it was consumed when a Garden of Eden Creation kit malfunctioned due to radiation exposure and terraformed the whole region into an uninhabitable mutant jungle which is slowly spreading out into the world around it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
evilthecat said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Personally, and I'm quite biased, I'd love to see a Fallout - Florida. Imagining the swamp post-nuclear sounds quite interesting. (Post-nuclear Disney World? Yes!) Plus mutant 'gators, Swamp Apes (Florida sasquatch) and other denizens of this strange land.
I believe the official canon on Florida is that it was consumed when a Garden of Eden Creation kit malfunctioned due to radiation exposure and terraformed the whole region into an uninhabitable mutant jungle.
Even more perfect! That sounds like an awesome setting.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
A big, well-fleshed out urban area, unlike the vapid DC Wasteland or the cut-up instanced New Vegas, would really pull me in. L.A. or New York City with all its different neighborhoods and whatnot. Could make for a really varied environment. In New York for instance you could go to a mutated and overgrown Central Park to the hedonistic pleasure palaces of Broadway to grim and gritty Brooklyn.

And I also pick those two cities because I could justify roleplaying Snake Plissken.
Well, the LA Boneyard seems right up your alley. Its a major city in the NCR and its the base of operations for the Followers of the Apocalypse and the Gun Runners.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I'd like to see the Commonwealth myself. I've been intrigued by the androids they apparently produce since 3. I'd love to see how that happened and what it's like, not just the supertech enclaves but the regular people.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think we've seen enough of the west coast in Fallout, let's get another one on the east coast.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Gonna have to be a contrary person, and vote for a Fallout game set in North Carolina, A.K.A., The Broken Banks. Maybe it's because I've got some home town spirit in me yet, but there's a lot of stuff to work with. First off, what the hell broke the Outer Banks? Tobias talked about "A few hungry creatures looking for a quick meal" when you ask him about his boat in the Point Lookout DLC for Fallout 3. North Carolina's got plenty of stuff to work with, ghost stories, man-made flight, and pirates.

C'mon, do Fallout: Broken Banks. More East Coast love.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I vote for Commonwealth on a few grounds
1. I live a mile north of the Boston city limits and would love to see what they would do with it in a post apocalyptic setting.
2. As mentioned by others, I kinda want to see the whole android thing, role play a post-apocalyptic Blade Runner scenario (we already have That Gun as a canon weapon, so why the fuck not?)

If not the Commonwealth, I'd suggest New York or Detroit.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
silver wolf009 said:
Gonna have to be a contrary person, and vote for a Fallout game set in North Carolina, A.K.A., The Broken Banks. Maybe it's because I've got some home town spirit in me yet, but there's a lot of stuff to work with. First off, what the hell broke the Outer Banks? Tobias talked about "A few hungry creatures looking for a quick meal" when you ask him about his boat in the Point Lookout DLC for Fallout 3. North Carolina's got plenty of stuff to work with, ghost stories, man-made flight, and pirates.

Oh yeah a fellow escapist from NC

Now take your shirt off and throw it in the air like a heliocaptor

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
Pescetarian said:
I feel like the problem with Boston is that unlike the West coast, DC or Las Vegas, Boston doesn't really have the same level of a universally-known cultural identity, so it would be hard to come up with interesting stuff for the area. Maybe New York or New Orleans?
Our cultural identity is pride, my friend. Pride in our history, our unity, and anything else we can think of.

Also just imagine roving gangs of townies, genius scientists/engineers with an army of robots, the logical next-step for a post-apocolyptic MIT, and an army of minutemen dressed in colonial garb, since the Revolutionary War pretty much started around there (really it started a few towns over). I'm also thinking there could be some interesting tensions between Boston and Cambridge, since the two cities are often confused for one city much to the dismay of anyone living in either.

I'm also imagining that Red Sox Nation has become some kind of a religion. The implications of this are humorous to me.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Mark another one up for the Boston Commonwealth. Future tech is my 'ish in Fallout and one set in a place filled with androids and advanced tech would be awesome.

The only thing that could top it would be to see the NCR frontier. To give an example, remember when you talked to the old ranger at that NCR camp and he mentioned Baja? Imagine going into there and starting a city or some shit.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I so want 4 to be set in Hollywood! Shooting celebrity ghouls, like the zombies in Peter Clines' Ex-Heroes series. Among other ironic fun times...

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
evilthecat said:
I believe the official canon on Florida is that it was consumed when a Garden of Eden Creation kit malfunctioned due to radiation exposure and terraformed the whole region into an uninhabitable mutant jungle which is slowly spreading out into the world around it.
That was going the be the plot of a cancelled Fallout game, however, it's not canon since the game was never made.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
PapaGreg096 said:
silver wolf009 said:

Oh yeah a fellow escapist from NC

Now take your shirt off and throw it in the air like a heliocaptor
Or I can just talk to you, and you'll hear my High Tider voice, and you'll have all the proof you need.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
How about we have it set somewhere other than the former United States? Like Europe or Asia. The war was supposed to be world wide, it would be intereting to discover it from the other nations points of view. How about China, as another poster suggested? We can find out what sparked the conflict from their point of view.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I'll be honest, at this point I could care less where it takes place. I just what Bethesda to give us some confirmation that they're even working on it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
How about China, as another poster suggested?
-No pipboys
-No vaults
-No power armor
-Almost no laser/plasma weaponry
-No BoS
-No enclave
-No NCR
-No 1950's American pop-culture + scifi B movie world
-No anything that is recognizable as Fallout

Might as well just make a new series at that point.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
canadamus_prime said:
How about China, as another poster suggested?
-No pipboys
-No vaults
-No power armor
-Almost no laser/plasma weaponry
-No BoS
-No enclave
-No NCR
-No 1950's American pop-culture + scifi B movie world
-No anything that is recognizable as Fallout

Might as well just make a new series at that point.
That wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
SajuukKhar said:
That was going the be the plot of a cancelled Fallout game, however, it's not canon since the game was never made.
Ceasar's Legion was also part of the plot of a cancelled Fallout game.