Fallout 4 Teaser Site Heats Up With Nuclear Winter

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
We shall see. The Fallout Franchise is too lucrative for them to NOT make another game. I just hope the team who wrote New Vegas contributes to any new Fallout Game. Don't get me wrong, I liked Fallout 3.... but New Vegas had more content and I enjoyed the characters and the writing more.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
If this is real, then a new Fallout game would be enough motivation for me to buy an X-Bone.
I love this type of hype and mystery. If it's real, then it's well done, interesting, and fun!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
This teaser site has me all giddy, it better not be a hoax!

Impluse_101 said:
Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Mother F---
"When I took this assignment I thought there'd be more gambling"

Your a soldier for gawd sake!

Zarifix

Jun 2, 2013
arc1991 said:
ThunderCavalier said:
... Am I the only one excited to see the Commonwealth? Granted, I didn't play Fallout 1 and 2, so the only context I have for it is the words of Dr. Zimmer back in Rivet City, but it definitely sounds interesting.
Only played FO 3 and a bit of New Vegas, but where exactly is the Commonwealth?... >.>

OT: PLEASE DON'T BE A HOAX! Loved Fallout 3, and while New Vegas was a bit meh to me, it was still okay, hopefully this one will be great!

I think I read somewhere that either The Institute or vault 119 was somewhere in Boston Massachusetts, I think that it was supposed to be a be a branch of MIT.

I also really want it to be real, but i highly doubt this isnt just some super elaborate troll.

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
Impluse_101 said:
Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Mother F---
Taken from the Fallout Wiki:
"Not much is known about the setting of Fallout 4 so far. When asked to give hints as to the setting of the next Fallout game, Jason Bergman said (translated from Norwegian), "You'll get no tips from me. But the Mojave Wasteland was a fun place to explore, wasn't it?"

The page with the original interview being quoted, for reference: http://www.spill.no/default.aspx?section=artikkel&id=1030

Now we're getting hints about a nuclear winter. If the original quote translated as "a fun place to patrol," I'd be completely sold.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
bringer of illumination said:
I just wanna know if they're gonna use the god damned Gamebryo engine again, that engine is so fucking awful.
Probably not considering they have the Creation Engine to work with, you know... what Skyrim uses. Wouldn't be smart to use an older engine when they have their newest one available.
At the same time, the Creation Engine is just a beefed up Gamebryo, from what I heard, and considering how unstable Skyrim is, I'd say it has the exact same problems as its predecessor, so the point still stands.

OT: Really hoping it's really for Fallout 4, I need my fix. Just as long as they actually do more testing than they did for FO3 and make sure it works.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
http://thesurvivor2299.com/VT119/

Also black hidden text on that site as well.

A few other of the morse codes make reference to the "GREAT GAME". The game was originally brought up in point lookout by Desmond.

If kept alive, Desmond disappears from the game after you exit the Underground Lab upon completion of A Meeting of the Minds. If talked to beforehand, he will mention traveling north to pursue his next rival, another "player" in the "Great Game", a Post-War struggle between former geniuses and billionares.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Zarifix said:
arc1991 said:
ThunderCavalier said:
... Am I the only one excited to see the Commonwealth? Granted, I didn't play Fallout 1 and 2, so the only context I have for it is the words of Dr. Zimmer back in Rivet City, but it definitely sounds interesting.
Only played FO 3 and a bit of New Vegas, but where exactly is the Commonwealth?... >.>

OT: PLEASE DON'T BE A HOAX! Loved Fallout 3, and while New Vegas was a bit meh to me, it was still okay, hopefully this one will be great!

I think I read somewhere that either The Institute or vault 119 was somewhere in Boston Massachusetts, I think that it was supposed to be a be a branch of MIT.
In addition to the mention of the Institute (which is essentially just MIT-after-the-nukes, I think?), the "quabbin" referred to in the Morse code likely references the Quabbin Reservoir, one of Boston's main sources of water, which is another point in favor of the Boston area as the likely location if this isn't a hoax.

(Worth noting: the creation of the reservoir necessitated the evacuation and flooding of four different towns, and there are urban legends and the like about how you can still see the abandoned houses at the bottom of the reservoir. In reality, all that's left are the outlines of cellars, but that would be something Bethesda could pull from to build its world...maybe radioactive drowned zombies or something?)

But yeah. Living in Massachusetts, I very much like the possibility of playing a game set here, and even if it isn't anything like a Massachusetts I'd recognize, I'm intrigued to see what Bethesda would do with all of the local history available.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
suitepee7 said:
Tono Makt said:
I really, really, really hope that Fallout 4 will be available for Xbox 360. I suppose if it's available for PC I could do that too, but I really don't want to play this on PC if it's like Fallout 3.
i'm guessing you ran into a load of bugs? personally i think mine crashed once or twice, but that was it. also the mods for fallout 3 were pretty awesome so there's that.

i wouldn't mind a next gen only release though, it would certainly give the devs less restraints in terms of size, but then again i've seen what bethesda could do with skyrim so i wouldn't be too concerned either way.

also, obligatory EEEEEKKKKKK I HOPE IT'S REAL!!!
A few bugs on the PC version, but mostly I just enjoyed playing it on the couch more than in the computer room. And I don't plan on getting an XBone or PS4 in the next few years as neither impress me in the least. (I'm one of those guys who boots up his Xbox 360 to play Xbox 360 games, not watch TV, browse the net, chat with friends, etc. I just want to play the damned games, ya know?)

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
ticklefist said:
Nobody? Okay.

"Living in the Mojave wasteland almost makes you hope for a nuclear winter."
what is nuclear winter anyway? ive heard that phrase a lot referring to fallout games but i never found out the meaning.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
bullet_sandw1ch said:
what is nuclear winter anyway? ive heard that phrase a lot referring to fallout games but i never found out the meaning.
a nuclear winter is similar to an impact winter, the dust and paritcles from so many nuclear bombs going off, and from all the stuff they burn, end up covering the sky, and blocking out the sun, which causes the entire world to cool down, and freeze into a winter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
Psychobabble said:
It would kind of funny if this turned out to be a fan made expansion like Falskaar for Skyrim.
it would probably have less bugs than an official release
Heh. Yeah. I have to say I was both amazed and appalled at Falskaar. Amazed at how well crafted it was as a fan edition, yet appalled at how much better it was than the expansions offered by the people who actually built the fucking game.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
digital warrior said:
I don't know bout most people, but when I'd take fallout 3 over oblivion, or Fallout NV over Skyrim any day(note not calling them bad games just found fallout games better). Even fallout 3 had more places to use speech or roll play than Skyrim or Oblivion ever did, and Fallout NV was better in every way to its predecessor(last steam count had it roughly 350 hours). I really don't want this to be a hoax, need me some more fallout goodness.
They were made by two different developers, Fallout 3 was made by Bethesda and Fallout: New Vegas was made by Obsidian Entertainment. Obsidian Entertainment is a reformation of the head developers that made up Black Isle Studios the developer that made Fallout 1&2. I think that's really the reason why New Vegas was so much better than Fallout 3, it was made by the people who thought up the universe in the first place. Fallout 3 is a really great game on it's own, but it's really stiff as a Fallout game, Bethesda tried really hard to infuse it with some kind of sappy, messiah driven hope complex. This is antithetical to the tone of Fallout. The nuclear apocalypse that causes this environment also shadows the whole wasteland with cynicism, it's post hope, the worst possible failure of humankind hangs over it, which is why it's balanced with pitch black humor. Fallout 3 just doesn't match that, they try with three dog telling stories of hope and with an old woman with a violin and some guy dressed up as a bee, but it just doesn't cut it, it comes off as tragic and sad, and that just makes the game environment seem so much more empty.

Sort of got off point there.

The point is that if Fallout 4 is developed by Bethesda my expectations are going to be lower than if it's developed by Obsidian. Why? Because Obsidian has developed three Fallout games and Bethesda has developed one. If they learn from New Vegas, awesome, if they make it about family relationships and hope and fuzzy feelings, I'm going to be annoyed.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
bullet_sandw1ch said:
a nuclear winter is similar to an impact winter, the dust and paritcles from so many nuclear bombs going off, and from all the stuff they burn, end up covering the sky, and blocking out the sun, which causes the entire world to cool down, and freeze into a winter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter
OH NO!
NO!
Oh please no.
No.
The wheels are turning. They developed those snow visuals and mechanics for the creation engine and by thunder they're going to use them...

They're going to make it look like Skyrim aren't they?! That's why they keep talking about Nuclear "Winter". They're going to take my nice orange sun beaten Mojave and cover it in vile, repugnant, shifting, chalky, frozen sky excrement!

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Hmmm, has anyone translated the new code that has appeared on the website yet?

If this is a hoax then it is a pretty good one.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well we all know F3 and NV did really well, so a new Fallout is in the making. Just taking ages, the last one came out in 2010, though if they were working since F3 then thats 2008. So i really do think there will be one next christmas. Though i hate the lack of confirmation though i hope we find out during E3.