Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Trilligan said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Boston is all well and good but I was hoping for Chicago
Fallout Tactics was non-canonical (I think) and light on story but it was set in the Midwest and primarily concerned the Chicago chapter of the BoS (if I recall)
Yeah, FOT is non-canon and so is FOBoS, meaning both the MidWest and Texas chapters of the Brotherhood of Steel are non-canon. The only bit of FOT that was made it into canon lore was the airship fleet travelling across the continent to the east coast.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Fallout 4 needs more Atlanta, fuck the California area, it's all desert so making it "apocalyptic" did nothing in terms of its image.

Boston could work, however we've been up there to the north plenty of times, there are very few things that even borhter coming down here to Georgia.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Mcoffey said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Trilligan said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Boston is all well and good but I was hoping for Chicago
Fallout Tactics was non-canonical (I think) and light on story but it was set in the Midwest and primarily concerned the Chicago chapter of the BoS (if I recall)
Yeah, FOT is non-canon and so is FOBoS, meaning both the MidWest and Texas chapters of the Brotherhood of Steel are non-canon. The only bit of FOT that was made it into canon lore was the airship fleet travelling across the continent to the east coast.
I thought how it went was that the events "happened" in Tactics, just not as they were described in Tactics, or something.
Yes and no... The only FOT thing mentioned, that I can recall, that is also mentioned in FO3 is the airship fleet and having a rough time on the crossing. The rest is more or less non-canon placeholders... Meaning that while it's still sort of still there, it's non-canon and can be reworked, retconned or comepletely ignored at will.

And seeing as how I fall on the Obsidian side of that debate, I wouldn't mind seeing the Legion Territory in Arizona. The first half of the story could be set before the Battle of Hoover Dam where everything is very unified and orderly (But still dangerous, it's still a wasteland) to eventually after where the Ceasar and the Legate were killed and the Legion devolves into a bunch of warring tribal factions.
I dunno... sounds more like the setting to a tactical game than a RPG...

Alternately I wouldn't mind seeing the state of the wasteland after the events of Lonesome Road where Ulysses succeeds and launches the nukes. Chris Avellone himself said in one of his blogs that he felt that it was the best option for continuing the franchise on the West Coast, now that the NCR and the Legion societies had gotten so large and orderly.
Yeah but that depends on Bethesda ever offeing another FO title to Obsidian... Which, IMO, they should do but only like they did with FONV and have Obsidian do their thing while Bethesda are working a TES title... seems like the optimal solution to keep all FO fans relatively happy... I'd also like to see the West Coast Fallout games stay with Obsidian and Bethesda continue with the East Coast.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
If the player's machine, that kind of ruins the point of Hardcore Mode. Unless that's now been substituted by needing new batteries or something. Why would the player be an 'android'? Perhaps it does make sense but only in the factor that they're part android, like have nano-machines inside them. But even that seems like it's ventured off into a completely different direction of what Fallout is and about. I mean, at the end of 3, the water became purified at the end... Okay, that was in Vegas. At the end of Vegas (At least in the 'Mr House' end, it said "We'll add trains and etc." because there were a lot of tracks that would've been nice if they were in use! Grr! I was so excited as well! But, anyway...

I don't see how being part or fully android would make sense in the actual story line that's been given, as of late. I like how we were a Courier, at the start. That jumped right into a new way of setting the scene, which worked and it was different/ new to what they'd previously down (In 1, 2, 3, where you escape The Vault).

If it's going to be "Fallout 4" I'd imagine they'd follow the 'Vault' story-line, rather than the one where you seem to not remember fuck-all of your life before being shot in the end. Though, I suppose if I had a bullet through my head, I'd probably wonder what my life was like and then think to myself "Why didn't I just become God before now?! I own more money than what's in Vegas! Gibson's Garage has more money!" I suppose that's a let down... Apparently being nothing, nobody knowing you, yet the company that hired you doesn't even remember who you are(?). Like when you lost your memory, everyone else did. At least in the other '3', people had recollection of you, not just rumours you were shot through the head and now you're "coooooool".

Sorry, I ranted a little... But I love Fallout.

Also, I'm guessing the 'Commonwealth' and escaping them is basically like 'Escaping the Vault'(?). I lost my trail of thought while typing this. And like an English exam, I'm not going back to review what I've said.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Also, I would love a Fallout game set in London, fuck the purists, post-apocalyptic London sounds sweet.
We have that already. It's called Killing Floor.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Mcoffey said:
And yeah, I completely agree that I would rather have Obsidian do it than Bethesda. It looks like they're taking the reigns back on the next one, unfortunately, but that would just be what I want to see, should Chris Avellone or J.E. Sawyer ever write for the series again.
While I'd rather have Obsidian do all future Fallout titles, that'd be a kick in the groin to FO fans that prefer Bethesda's take on the setting... so in the interests of peace and fairness, I'd settle for alternating Bethesda/Obsidian Fallout titles.

Also, now he's at Obsidian, I'd want to see what Tim-motherfuckin'-Cain would do given the chance.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Personally I would really enjoy playing from the perspective of an Enclave vault that hasn't been in direct communication with the rest of the enclave network since the time the bombs fell. Basically if you look at the Enclave they are the US government and outside of the crazy schemes that the higher command has, your goal is to rebuild the US. I think the theme of what is America and the conflict that being a remnant of the governing force of a pre-wasteland America vs a new world that doesn't recognize the old government as being valid. Your story can explore the choices between sticking to the goal of rebuilding the US or do you embrace the new society that exist and reject the old government. Also it would be interesting having the Brotherhood of Steel having you as kill on sight from the start.

Gameplay wise it would be very simple to start as your trained in being an infiltrator (in whatever skills you feel are necessary in doing that task) and are tasked with exploring and learning about the surrounding survivor settlements, earn there trust, find potential allies/threats, and take advantage of anything that could benefit your vault.

Of course that won't happen but it would be a interesting new perspective to give the player (being a tribal in fallout 2 did this to a lesser extent) instead of just being another vault survivor from vault (insert number here).

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I really wish it's not some big, boring, eastern city like Boston or Chicago... you could make them interesting but it would probably be a lot harder than making a city like DC or Vegas is interesting. The originals could get away with being relatively bland because they did rely so much on visuals, but it's a huge part of the experience in the newer games.

My pick? New Orleans. It's an interesting city visually/culturally and outside of the city can be a nice, large swamp region along with mutated swamp critters. Like a much bigger Point Lookout with a much better city to visit.

I would also like a break from the Brotherhood/Enclave/Super Mutants and actually get new factions and conflicts.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Vankraken said:
Personally I would really enjoy playing from the perspective of an Enclave vault that hasn't been in direct communication with the rest of the enclave network since the time the bombs fell. Basically if you look at the Enclave they are the US government and outside of the crazy schemes that the higher command has, your goal is to rebuild the US.
I like this. For me, the themes of Fallout have always been about rebuilding and survival, a game like that would show how such noble ambitions can become corrupted.

However I also want some acknowledgement of the countries outside America (as per the London/European ideas spoken above).

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Gonna re-post something I put in another Fallout 4 speculation thread:

Glad it's not San Francisco. I was actually hoping it would be in New England, possibly near the border of Canada. I mean, Canada was annexed by the U.S. and supposedly vaults were in the process of being build there too. Not to mention that the continued existence of Toronto was hinted at in The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3. Perhaps Canada suffered less devastation from the nukes than the U.S. and there are still trees growing up there, and maybe the Commonwealth is trying to evict its current inhabitants to gain access to its timber, mineral, and water resources. It'd definitely be an interesting contrast with the shining technological utopia of the Commonwealth, featuring Canada supposedly being retaken by both nature and its former nationals.
Since then, however, I've been informed that Canada was pretty much almost stripped clean during the battle with China over Anchorage, so I'm not too certain about the trees and all. Still, since eastern Canada is pretty far away from the Anchorage front line (and it is going to be a Beth game after all) it's possible (however unlikely) that some of it might have survived. Or at the very least some of the natural resources further up north.

Stormcloud23

Aug 15, 2008
If I had my way I'd set Fallout 4 in the American northwest. Maybe Portland or Seattle. I think the irradiated forests would be a great setting, and the locale isn't something that's used often, save for Alan Wake. The Space Needle would be an awesome fort or bastion, or something of the like.