Fallout 4's Script Is Bigger Than Skyrim And Fallout 3 Combined

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I will be happy as long as every old man is not the same voice actor, and i don't have incidents were i have a guy tell me to go talk to another guy near by only to find out they both have the exact same voice.

SolidState

May 30, 2015
FogHornG36 said:
I will be happy as long as every old man is not the same voice actor, and i don't have incidents were i have a guy tell me to go talk to another guy near by only to find out they both have the exact same voice.
It's worse when you overhear a 'random' conversation between NPCs, and they both share the same VA. It ends up sounding like a crazy person talking to themselves.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
There's a voiced protagonist, of course there is going to be much more dialogue, that sense of immersion in your own character won't break itself!

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
By the way, have they already announced which big name voice talent they are putting to waste this time?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's interesting to hear but as many people have pointed out quality matters more than quality. That said I didn't have a huge problem with the way they handled the previous games simply because I'd rather have content I can play as opposed to tons of really great voice acting. I'd be more excited over news that say they have substantially increased the bestiary and made say 150 new classes of monsters with associated models or something like that. One problem with Bethesda's games is how quickly you wind up seeing every kind of opponent other than maybe equipment and after that it rapidly becomes a formula. That said I don't expect this kind of expansion, but it's what would excite me personally.

Also I'll say that the cost of this scripting seems to be a continued dumbing down of the game. From some things I've been seeing around they have removed skills from the game, now you just level up and gain perks, and your attributes influence what perks you can gain. Different people have been reacting to that information differently, but it seems like Bethesda went into this one with some very different design priorities. I've already pre-ordered the game so I'll be giving it a shot, but I confess I'm a bit less sure of this new game than I was originally. The problem isn't so much being different as with the direction those differences seem to be taking. I'm vaguely reminded of the whole leaked issue with Bioware and EA Louse over "Old Republic Online", where Bioware was most proud of their sound design, and you can see that part was at least true because the sound design for the game, with all the voice acting (most spot on) and so on was absolutely great, but it came at the expense of actual content and playability leading to criticisms from the very beginning. It did manage to stay it's course somewhat, but not before it took some major hits and went free to play. Since finding out about the voiced protagonists I've been wondering how much time I'll be spending chatting with people as opposed to exploring ruins, looting, and shooting stuff in the face. Bioware-type games have their niche, but there is such a thing as too much talkie, and I confess after my first or second time through I get tired of the whole "run around talking to everyone before you can do anything else if you don't want to be penalized in affection points or whatever", and Fallout games are big on their heavily replayable open world aspects. I confess to having a nightmare of sorts of quests in Fallout where I might say run around a bunch of times between NPCs just to listen to the acting getting shown off where I really don't wind up doing much. Sort of like in Old Republic where I might talk to an NPC on one planet, run back through the planet, through the spaceport, into my hangar, into my ship, to another planet, through the hangar again, through an orbital station, down to the space port, across a planet, and then talk to another NPC, and that's the quest... nothing in between, just running around a lot and talking. That has it's place in some games but it can be maddening when over done and it's come to be what I fear when I hear voice touted as a major feature in a day and age where that isn't a big a deal anymore. Having a voiced game was epic a decade or so ago, nowadays... meh, we already know it can be done.

A lot of rambling, but that's my thoughts. Feel free to have over a hundred thousand lines of dialogue, but I sure as heck hope I don't have to spend hours on end listening to NPCs wax poetic instead of doing anything and get penalized for not listening to it. I mean I can just watch a movie. :)

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
The problem, there, is that the writer of FO3, Skyrim, and FO4 really isn't very good. He's not on par with the writers at CD Projekt and he sure as hell isn't on par with Chris Avellone. Its probably gonna be a great game to play with a really fun sanbox world, but I'm really not expecting a worthwhile story out of it, and the focus they seem to be putting on the story when their writers are so meh worries me.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
But will it run Day 1 or do I have to spend almost as much time in the dev console as in my inventory?

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
The Twilight series also has a significantly higher word count than Mogworld. The size of the script means feck all if the writing isn't actually good, which Bethesda has had an issue with in the past.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I play Bethesda games for the gameplay, not the voice acting. This news is only positive as far as I'm concerned. Even if it is only more "Get him!"s and "Aargh!"s. Hell, 300k of it could be different versions of dog barks for all I care.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
valium said:
it seems I am the odd man out, that when hearing this news I got hyped again.

cmon people, bethesda does big world with random little stories shotgun spread about quite well, and being told this thing they do well is being done bigger? im sold... so far at least.

we all know that if fallout 3 and TES games tap a vein, that this game is going to be a more potent drug, just go with the flow.
I second this. I know hating on Bethesda for it's crappy stories is a popular thing to do, but it's blown way out of proportion. Fallout 3's stories and setting weren't any worse than New Vega's or any of the rest of the Fallouts, they just had different overall themes and general aesthetics that the writers were working with. Bethesda in general has good stories, maybe not the BEST STORIES EVAR!!! but good ones, and their voice acting is top notch even if it eventually gets repetitive. When we are talking about a game with hundreds of quests and last hundreds of hours obviously there are going to be some quests that aren't absolute gems of writing and obviously we will eventually get tired to listening to random NPC dialog eventually, but that's the fault of the very nature of the open world genre of games itself, one that is very difficult to avoid if not impossible.

Besides, Bethesda is obviously trying to address this common complaint and people are whining anyway. Bethesda isn't going to waste money on 26,000 lines of dialog they could avoid spending money on by simply keeping the protagonists silent as always, it's there to give to create more involving and emotional stories. One of the first things mods will do is take out the voiced protagonists and dialog interface anyway, so everybody that wants it can have it and those that don't want it don't have to have it, everybody wins with the presence of both, as opposed to just the last group.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Fallout 3 and Skyrim's problems weren't "small" scripts, but rather incredibly bland writing.

No surprise there's no mention of Fallout New Vegas, considering that had pretty damn good writing.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jesus christ whats up with these comments?! I know its been a little rough this year (with some games being released either broken or over hyped) but u would think every game this year was like that with the way you are all going on.

The game isn't even out yet and the developers are already being told to fuck off if this that and the other isn't included. Calm down ffs.

OT: Can't wait for this, this game is going to be frigging huge! Just hope Bethesda don't screw up somehow.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
This thread is full of the most cynical gaming super connoisseurs. Going by this thread, the game is absolutely going to be the worst game in gaming history and will actively give you cancer.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Smilomaniac said:
What satisfies you, might not satisfy others. I don't blame you for liking their games, if you did; just don't be surprised if others didn't :)
Oh absolutely. I will fully admit that Beth games cannot compare to the likes of Mass Effect or other games by Bioware and others.

However, I do find it difficult being too harsh on Bethesda, though. They could very easily turn into another Activision/Ubisoft and churn out TES and FO games 6 or 12 monthly, and completely ruin both series.
The fact that they actually do put quite a bit of effort into their games, is something I'm always grateful for.