Fallout 4's Script Is Bigger Than Skyrim And Fallout 3 Combined

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
News just in: Troy Baker will be voicing every single damn character in as many accents he can. Even the females. And all creatures! In one day!! We will squeeze this fucka dry!

Writr

Feb 9, 2015
Am I the only person who actually liked both Fallout 3 and Skyrim's stories? Sure, they weren't some great epic with engaging characters, but the games made up for that with the open-world and the ability to make "YOU" the protagonist (in that the world would react to what you did, to an extent).

I dunno, I liked both games' stories. Maybe that's just me.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Writr said:
Am I the only person who actually liked both Fallout 3 and Skyrim's stories? Sure, they weren't some great epic with engaging characters, but the games made up for that with the open-world and the ability to make "YOU" the protagonist (in that the world would react to what you did, to an extent).

I dunno, I liked both games' stories. Maybe that's just me.
Of course you aren't the only one, and it's for a simple reason. If there's anything universal about entertainment it's that people that don't like something will complain about it much much more often than people who like something will praise it. People who like Skyrim and Fallout 3's stories rarely feel the need to actually say that, therefore a very vocal minority of haters tends to be the ones people see in places like this.

IMO, Bethesda's track record shows they generally make good stories and worlds in which for those stories to take place, maybe not stellar ones mind you, but more than good enough.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Quality > Size, in all cases.

That said, I certainly hope that means that the dialogue you hear when wandering around towns or eavesdropping on murderers won't all be the same three of four lines repeated. I like the idea of many conversations to listen in to other than the obligatory quest-related ones.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh goody. Even more Bethesda dialogue. I can hardly wait.

Because everyone knows that what Bethesda lacks is volume, right?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh wow. More glitches than New Vegas and Skyrim combined. Ten bucks says this game gets pulled like Arkham Knight within a week or two when people realize how woefully incomplete this game is.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Well of corse the script is bigger, the protagonist speaks this time around. Issue is that the script can be bigger but with a speaking protag the over all experience can be smaller, i really hope it is not. But, given they are using a script as a selling point now i have worries.

malnin

Nov 10, 2010
Isn't the sheer amount of writing completely irrelevant unless you experience every single line in the game and want more? As good as Bethesda are at background plot, such as going into an abandoned building and seeing the carefully crafted environment telling an compelling story. Almost every character interaction feels like someone belittling the most competent person in the universe.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Im not quite sure what people are so upset over. Im not a huge fan of Bethesda, I've usually found their games decently good but lacking a lot of things to make them truly enjoyable, yet why would I sprout rage over something like this?

Sure, quantity doesnt mean quality but at least this (likely) means they're making an actual voiced protagonist rather then someone that just says "yes" or "no" or "ouch!". Im having trouble seeing that as a bad thing, I consider it quite an upgrade to the mute, numb and lifeless player characters they've had in their previous games. Im quite curious to see how it'll work out.

Its reasonable to stay cautious and not hop on the hype-train, but just because they say "we're going to have this!" doesnt HAVE to mean that they're not gonna do other things as well......such as quality. Witcher 3 prooved that quantity doesnt have to exclude quality.

It can go either way. Lets not pretend we know which way it'll be, we'll just have to wait and see.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
valium said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Fallout 3 and Skyrim's problems weren't "small" scripts, but rather incredibly bland writing.

No surprise there's no mention of Fallout New Vegas, considering that had pretty damn good writing.
new vegas was obsidian, not bethesda.

true, new vegas had better writing, but fo3 had better setting and atmosphere.
Bethesda published it, and it used their engine. That's close enough.

And whilst FO 3 did have a stronger opening, the world was bland and full of boring characters. It looked interesting, but was ultimately not as interesting to explore imo.

Skyrim had neither though.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Welcome to The Escapist. The most cynical and bitter place on the internet. Also home of Yahtzee Croshaw's Zero Punctuation.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Tomeran said:
Im not quite sure what people are so upset over.
The fact that they've been dumbing down instead of actually streamlining.

Probably also the fact that they're turning Fallout into a shooter, instead of just making a sequel to RAGE.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
fi6eka said:
The bigger question here is:Is the plot as shit as Skyrim and Fallout 3 combined?
It's Bethesda, so you can count on it. And given that the protagonist is voiced not only do I think the quality will go down but choices will go to shit.

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
I don't think that we should measure AAA games by lines of script in 2015 since quantity != quality and it shows in multiple Beth games.

These games have proven a couple of times that they can have an interesting plot or a very bland one, for example I personally enjoyed Fallout New Vegas while Fallout 3 and Skyrim became very uninteresting after one playthrough.

How does the overall story compare to The Witcher 3 ?
Will we have some really interesting side characters ?
Will the world be similar to New Vegas which had lots of zones, each with its own story that combined together formed an interesting world ?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Fallout 4's script just works!

Captcha: yellow belly. Captcha knows, it always knew.