Fallout 4's Script Is Bigger Than Skyrim And Fallout 3 Combined

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
The script is not necessarily what I am worried about what with the lack of skills, only having one voice actor per gender for the protagonist, and overall more dumbing down

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm reminded a bit of Spinal Tap's "but this one goes to eleven", or The Kids in the Hall's "preacher man" character comparing holy books by weight.

A big script could be good, or it could still be too little marmalade over too much toast, so to speak. I would be pleased to see a bigger script employed on a map no bigger than Skyrim, implying more choice and depth in the existing quests and dialogue, more meaningful options and player choices, less "do it this way or don't engage at all." I've enjoyed many of Bethesda's games, but I often grow weary of being told simultaneously that I'm the major instrument of momentum for all other factions and players in the world, but that I'm still largely obliged to conform to those factions' bad choices and transparent manipulations.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Skyrim has boring writing and boring voice acting. I wouldn't know about Fallout 3 but Skyrim is one reason why I'm not all that interested in Fallout 4.

It doesn't matter what the size is if its just more 'boring'.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I'm guessing......40% of it is just in flavour text and those long ass books filled like an ACTUAL books-worth of content I skim over for stat boosts then sell.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
As long as there's plenty of options for what my guy says, I don't mind.

This thread is really negative. Yeah, keep your expectations low and all, but this place feels like it's already given up.

008Zulu said:
When you enter town for the first time; I was going to be a vault dweller, but then I took a bullet to the knee.
Scavenger would be more appropriate. Having a busted knee isn't quite so bad when you live in a cushy vault.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
ok that's nice but I'd settle for just a better story personally cause as fun as those games were to play we don't really remember the story. Ok I take that back I remember fallout 3's story but only because its probably the worst part of the game.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
vallorn said:
There's a voiced protagonist, of course there is going to be much more dialogue, that sense of immersion in your own character won't break itself!
I'm curious, did having Geralt speak his lines break your immersion as well?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Let's not compare the witcher 3s writing to fallout 4 just yet...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
FloodOne said:
vallorn said:
There's a voiced protagonist, of course there is going to be much more dialogue, that sense of immersion in your own character won't break itself!
I'm curious, did having Geralt speak his lines break your immersion as well?
Apples and Oranges, Fallout has always been about somewhat blank slate characters that the player projects themselves onto, the same with The Elder Scrolls. The Witcher on the other hand has Geralt set up as a character through the book series even before the games begin.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Feh, sounds pretty cool I guess, but as several have pointed out doesn't mean alot, I did enjoy fallout 3 and skyrim's voice acting though...I'm still not 100% sold on the whole "voiced protagonist" thing but we will see

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
A script that's bigger than Skyrim AND Fallout 3? I have only one response to this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTA2fxOedxo

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
IceForce said:
Smilomaniac said:
What satisfies you, might not satisfy others. I don't blame you for liking their games, if you did; just don't be surprised if others didn't :)
Oh absolutely. I will fully admit that Beth games cannot compare to the likes of Mass Effect or other games by Bioware and others.

However, I do find it difficult being too harsh on Bethesda, though. They could very easily turn into another Activision/Ubisoft and churn out TES and FO games 6 or 12 monthly, and completely ruin both series.
The fact that they actually do put quite a bit of effort into their games, is something I'm always grateful for.
I always saw the games as a collection of short stories. It's more about the world then the characters, which is fine by me. I find it funny that people wouldn't stop complaining about how linear and story driven The Last of Us was. Now people are mad that the world is large and lacks a well written, central plot. We just can't be happy, it seems.

The only part that irks me is the voiced protagonist, but I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Both fallout 3 and NV where not about the story (main story) but more about the journey. I enjoyed both stories as far as they where concerned but both could be finished very fast if you focused only on the story. Meanwhile, if you wandered the wastelands, did side quests and just enjoyed the games, you could spend hundreds of hours on each of them.

I did not feel that way with Skyrim though. I have still never even finished it, and I have tried 3 times already (I always end up getting distracted by another game...and then I restart from scratch the next time I play).

Fallout 3 and NV though both have held my interest through completion at least twice each (3-4 times for fallout 3, only twice for NV). I have high hopes for fallout 4 as well, and if it's bigger, that is great (but only if you have more actual character progression to go along with the extra content...I always get bored once I max my character out).

Honestly I don't need a game that is larger then fallout 3, NV or Skyrim. I need a game that will keep me interested like they did for 100+ hours, and still have enough left for me to do that I can play it again sometime in the future (which both F3 and NV already did). Better is great, but I just want them to hit the mark they have already hit in the past.

The problem is the general dumbing down of video games in the last decade or so. I blame World of Warcraft as many games seem to have decided that imitating that game is the best way to sell a ton of games, even if they are in a whole different genre. Character customization and leveling is often drastically simplified and I'm afraid they will do something similar (in fact, I think I heard rumors about taking alot of the rpg aspects out of the combat....making it more based on aim, and less on stats etc).

That is what I am really afraid of. Story is great, and I would like a good story, good main and side quests etc, but honestly it's the actual combat, and character leveling/customization as you play that keeps me interested. Take that away and I'll be bored in hours, while I could have replayed the same 4 hours worth of actually story 25 times as long as I was actually getting to progress and improve my character along the way.

Once you kill any way for the player to improve themselves, you kill most of their motivation to play. For many of us, if you force us to level up a specific way, with no variation or control, then that has a similar effect.

It's just a bit over 2 months to go till release. This is the first game I have really been waiting for with high hopes since D3 (which dissapointed me greatly). I'm getting up there in years, I have 450 or so games backlogged just in my steam library (not to mention hundreds for game systems I have not had time to play) and I can't find myself that motivated to get new games anymore because I just have so many, of all types, that I have not had a chance to play yet. I joke that I could lock myself in a room with food and water for the rest of my life and never finish the games I already have. If fallout 4 is a dissapointment, I may stop even paying attention to the new games that come out in the future, at least till I play through the many, many RPGs (my favorite type of game) that I have, but have not played yet.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
As long as it maintains the same quality of overall writing that they've managed to perform then I'll be happy with it. I don't think bigger is necessarily better but it'll be nice to explore. The fallout series always seems to have the best writing. Morrowind and Oblivion also had some really good stuff. So I'm excited to see what they do with this one. I'm hoping it isn't going to be bland due to the volume.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Oh, so a large chunk of the budget went to recording 'Fuckface' then did it?

I've been finding Bethesda's track record as of late to be lackluster in just about every way. But the game will sell hotpockets, the hype for this thing is ridiculous and most people who play these games hold out for mods.

They could have 5 lines of dialogue and the game would sell. It's a Bethesda Modbox!

WarpedMind

Nov 8, 2014
Nice try Todd, but you won't bamboozle me with your lying lies.

TORtanic also had eons worth of recorded dialogue, didn't stop that game from being a massive unwanted turd.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
valium said:
it seems I am the odd man out, that when hearing this news I got hyped again.

cmon people, bethesda does big world with random little stories shotgun spread about quite well, and being told this thing they do well is being done bigger? im sold... so far at least.

we all know that if fallout 3 and TES games tap a vein, that this game is going to be a more potent drug, just go with the flow.
if it works out, it would be awesome; and if not, well... Let's say I prefer to be cynical and be proven wrong when it's released, than being hyped and ending up disappointed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
More words doesn't mean better writing. This isn't a county fair where you are trying to compare who has the largest pumpkin. It seems so pointless to even brag about the size of your script.
I know right? Just look at the Twilight books! OOoooh Burn! *drops mic*

Sorry couldn't resist the low hanging fruit. But yeah, bigger script doesn't mean good script. I personally didn't have any big issues with the writing in FO 3 or Skyrim, so I don't really have an issue if they are at the same level of quality. Though I didn't really enjoy those games for the scripting, but more for the open ended storytelling I could do for myself.