Fallout Boy

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"An Isometric view, and hex tiles do not a game make."

Only complete nuts would actually think that :/

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
There is a reason that sequels usually have a property of diminishing returns, and it has little to do with the illusion of creative bankruptcy or the fallacy of lazy development. The problem is that the traditional sequel is trying to recapture a moment that is only valuable because it had never been captured before. It's not just that developers and gamers are trying to recapture lighting in a bottle, they are trying to capture the lightning that has already struck.
This needs to be in a quote book somewhere, because it is absolutely true of everything in media entertainment.

Samuel Sparrow

Dec 13, 2008
Either the whole gaming world is populated by morons and the gaming press are catering to that audience, or they are giving F3 good marks, because they need the advertising dollars. So I applaud the Escapist in being one of the few magazines to have the courage and integrity to review F3 accurately.

As for my experience with F3, I found the writing and voice acting woeful in many places. I encountered huge areas with only one thing to do and those quests were rail roaded. Most of the quests I completed ended in extremely tedious dungeon delving and combat. So if you enjoy the freedom and professional writing of pen and paper RPGs, avoid F3 like the plague. On the Fallout scale, where Fallout is a 10/10, I give F3 a solid 3/10.

P.S.
I should add I was only able to stand playing it for about 15-20 hours due to extreme boredom.

Saltiness

Dec 3, 2007
So I applaud the Escapist in being one of the few magazines to have the courage and integrity to review F3 accurately.
You mean this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5419-Review-Fallout-3] review?

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
From the point of someone never bothered by a game's plot, (seriously) Fallout 3 rules!
On that note, I whole heartily recommend Great Expectations for this upcoming holiday seaons, a story filled with anguish, hope, and betrayal. Also if you read the book while playing Fallout 3 you'll have all your bases covered.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
xitel said:
klc0100 said:
Fallout 3 is not a bad game.

It's just not that great.
Im not the only one?
I will say that I think Oblivion was much better. You could just sit there with the V.A.T.S. and get head shots and never take a lick of damage.
Oblivion's combat was at times flat and if not for guns Fallout 3 would be the same. Well it is still the same if you fight super mutants.

As a full game I like Oblivion more, but moment-to-moment I like Fallout 3. Because they are pretty much the same game with diffrent settings.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Dectilon said:
Personally I didn't think the game was too easy, but that was because I made a useless build based around unarmed combat. Had I known it was useless I never would've. It was great in earlier games :(
Combine stealth, iron fist, a deathclaw gauntlet and maximum unarmed combat; you will be able to kill everyone in Evergreen Mills without a shot fired.

Samuel Sparrow

Dec 13, 2008
Saltiness said:
So I applaud the Escapist in being one of the few magazines to have the courage and integrity to review F3 accurately.
You mean this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5419-Review-Fallout-3] review?
Obviously they allow a difference of opinion. Russ Pitts is clearly catering to the new breed of moron gamer.

Saltiness

Dec 3, 2007
Perhaps, but officially, their view point is that Fallout 3 couldn't be any better unless Bethsoft came to their house and blew a load on their face. Whilst it's quite refreshing that one of their staffers (a freelance writer) thinks differently about the game, this article seems to be far more focused on the general climate of sequalisation, as opposed to Fallout 3 in particular. It's simply that Fallout 3 is an extremely prime example of the topic of choice.

Samuel Sparrow

Dec 13, 2008
Magnetic2 said:
From the point of someone never bothered by a game's plot, (seriously) Fallout 3 rules!
On that note, I whole heartily recommend Great Expectations for this upcoming holiday seaons, a story filled with anguish, hope, and betrayal. Also if you read the book while playing Fallout 3 you'll have all your bases covered.
>a story filled with anguish, hope, and betrayal.

No, we couldn't have any of that in a *Role* Playing Game could we?

Saltiness:
>this article seems to be far more focused on the general climate of sequalisation

Yes I see what you mean.

My only complaint with this article is Sean Sands and other reviewers (including the NMA and RPGCodex people) that have had negative things to say about F3, have been far too lenient.

For me Fallout was the first computer game that had the level of writing, plot design and freedom that was comparable to the experience of playing a pen and paper RPG with an extremely talented Game Master.

As far as I'm concerned the standard of F3 falls far short of the Fallout standard and it represents a games industry that has been devolving intellectually for a long time. Handing out scores greater than 9/10 for games like F3, will do nothing to improve computer role playing game standards.

Saltiness

Dec 3, 2007
No complaint from me on that one. Intelligent (let alone creative) game design for mainstream is very few and far between. To be fair though, Fallout 3 does hold some positive things. But it's like most big titles that come out. It's basically akin to consumer electronics, designed more to tide people over to the next thing, as opposed to being a deep experience, storytelling or otherwise. There are those people who are happy to have a mobile phone that still works from 7 years ago. Then you have the other 80% of people that instantly upgrade whenever a phone comes out that rings slightly different, or has some other rarely used accessory.

Unfortuently, if you really speak pure bile about Fallout 3, you get accused of not being objective and simply a person living in the past and wanting 2d isometric graphics running in windows 98. Heaven forbid you actually enjoy turn based. OH GOD HEX GRID!!!!11

Great Expectations
Made me laugh, as it reminds me of that south park episode where the guy doing the narration was the same bloke who did the President Eden voice work. He was probably the thing I enjoyed most about Fallout 3.

Samuel Sparrow

Dec 13, 2008
>Unfortuently, if you really speak pure bile about Fallout 3, you get accused of not being objective and simply a person living in the past

Interesting isn't it? If books or movies were released with the standard of dialogue I have seen in Fallout 3, they would be universally panned. But for some reason, because it is a computer game, it rates a 9 or 10/10 in 90%+ of reviews.

The games magazines need to take a good hard look at themselves, because they are doing the games industry and gamers no favors by playing the sycophant.

>He was probably the thing I enjoyed most about Fallout 3.

Yes that was Malcolm McDowell, an actor who has had a long and distinguished career. Its a pity all of the voice work in F3 wasn't as good as his.

palmcrusher

Jun 13, 2008
i was greatly disappointed in this game. i was so excited for another game like oblivion or fallout. i loved them both. I also love first person shooters so i thought the game would be perfect. It crushed all my hopes and dreams with a 4 hour storyline that i finished in one night. i wasn't excited about doing side quests either. the boring wasteland all looked the same to me so i really didn't do many of those either. they also tried to do a bunch of really stupid things do make it easier to run on a slandered computer leaving us pc games that have good graphics cards with a short boring game with crappy graphics.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Fallout 3 is just as much a rightful heir as one could ask for... Pip-Boy? check... rad scorpions? check... quasi-turn-based combat (a la Tactics)? check.... pitch-black humor? again, check....

i think all the fanboys need to make a reality check... games have come long way since Fallout first graced our monitors... no one really wants a top-down, isometric turn-based game any more... and how has this newest iteration been dumbed down exactly? i see that term being thrown around an awful lot, but no one seems to back it up with, you know, actual evidence...
1: Just because it has features from the previous does not make it a faithful sequel. If Micheal Bay decided to remake Clockwork Orange, would you be okay with it because it has the same themes/plot?
2: Um, how was it not dumbed down? For somebody with little experience in RPG's compared to most people who play this, I got to the third-last quest on Very Hard in 5 hours of game play. The game holds your hand way too often, and the feeling that you could die at any moment from making one mistake is completely absent.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
GenHellspawn said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Fallout 3 is just as much a rightful heir as one could ask for... Pip-Boy? check... rad scorpions? check... quasi-turn-based combat (a la Tactics)? check.... pitch-black humor? again, check....

i think all the fanboys need to make a reality check... games have come long way since Fallout first graced our monitors... no one really wants a top-down, isometric turn-based game any more... and how has this newest iteration been dumbed down exactly? i see that term being thrown around an awful lot, but no one seems to back it up with, you know, actual evidence...
1: Just because it has features from the previous does not make it a faithful sequel. If Micheal Bay decided to remake Clockwork Orange, would you be okay with it because it has the same themes/plot?
2: Um, how was it not dumbed down? For somebody with little experience in RPG's compared to most people who play this, I got to the third-last quest on Very Hard in 5 hours of game play. The game holds your hand way too often, and the feeling that you could die at any moment from making one mistake is completely absent.
points taken... to me, the game still felt like fallout... everything i liked about the previous games was accounted for. but, if other people don't feel that way, i won't hold it against them...

as far as the difficulty and "hand-holding" goes, my first play through was very challenging at the beginning of the game - limited ammo, frequent deaths, crappy armor, etc. the game became easier as i got into it, and this was more or less consistent with my experiences with the first fallout games. it's a real struggle to survive when you first emerge from the vault, but after you've had some time to level up and amass some decent gear, it gets easier...

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
I didn't play Fallout or Fallout2 (Or oblivion), so I have no idea if Fallout 3 lives up to the Fallout standard (or whatever crap I just read above). In fact, I haven't ever really gotten into RPG's as I think they're pretty stupid, usually guys with big swords roaming around opening up conveniently located treasure chests and collecting gold. Fable II anyone? However...

I definately think that Fallout 3 is one of the best, if not the best game that I have played this year. Not perfect, but no game ever will be, but this is a game where you will get out of it as much as you're prepared to put into it. And you can play it any number of different ways, depending on how you construct your character.

I played through the main story line and some of the side quests in about 20-25 hours. Sure, I was slightly disappointed when it ended and was completely GAME OVER, but that didn't stop me from starting a new game straight away. I have been playing my 2nd game for probably 80 hours by now, and I can't believe the amount of stuff that I missed, or just didn't get to the first time around. It truly is epic.

As everything in this world, it comes down to personal preference. I bought Fallout 3 because it looked interesting and different to many of the (console) games out there. It's a game where I feel like I'm actually controlling the experience somewhat, rather than just following a pre-determined path to the end.

Bring on Fallout 4!

Naterstein

Oct 18, 2008
I am a semi Fallout fan boy. I played Fo2 and Fo Tactics and I enjoyed them both. At first I hated Fo3, but then it started growing on me. Sure its definitely not as complete of a game as the originals. The Karma system seemed to have fell into some laziness as it is not at all complex as it should be, being that everything is black or white... err, I mean Red or Green. As others pointed out, there really arent too many consequences. Megaton is a great test, but all others are really dry. Its like they wanted their Karma system to mean something, but ran out of money/time, who knows.

I was one of the fans that didnt like the move to non-iso POV, but now I cannot seem to imagine another Fallout without it now. Despite some of the gameplay flaws, the First/Third person view in this game really great. Its one of the first games thats has made me jump out of my seat. However, this comes with a huge cost, the VATS/Real-time hybrid. Which is horribly screwy. I like VATS, except that I cannot target eyes and groin, but Real Time leaves something to be desired, even moreso now that they are together, definitely NOT seemless.

There are a few more problems that bear mentioning, like the quest breaking bugs, etc. But I must stop, time for work. But it really comes down to this. Fo3 is an okay game, but way too unfinished and unpolished. I have yet to complete the main quest but I hear its lousy and short, while there are plenty of extraneous side quests.

I think Fo3 isnt quite Oblivion with guns, but it isnt as far from it as it should be; however it does seem like Bethesda is heading in the right direction, they just need to actually finish the journey before releasing the game. I for one hope they figure out a seamless system for VATs and put in some more consequential stuff for the 4th title, who knows maybe by Fo5 and the MMO, they will have made one of the best games ever.

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
"I want to do it all again for the first time."

I think those words sum up the entire experience. I remember when I first played Fallout and Fallout 2. I was dumb-struck drooling... kind of like when I first played TES:Daggerfall. It was the late 90's and the graphics and gameplay tended to take a back-seat to story, because it seemed the best they could do.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with Fallout 3. It's a good game by itself. The only thing that annoys me about it is the title. It didn't hold the same magic as plugging in the originals. That's not to say it was a steaming pile of monkey spunk, but my eyes didn't glaze over in ecstacy and I don't see myself replaying it 8 years down the road as I did with the originals, still savoring and loving every minute of the game.

So there's no reason to kick dirt in it's face, it's a pretty good game. I think the biggest conflict here about people prattling off about its greatness runs the same course as over-hearing kids sing the praises of the newest Star Wars movies. Those of us who grew up waving our Nerd banners of loyalty to the original trilogy saw that movie with the disgust of watching an obese geriatric receiving an enema. You know, the kind of horror that burns your eyes, but you still can't look away. Apparently the new trilogy was good, many people loved them, but I can't look at them objectively enough to see it. The same goes for Fallout 3.