Fallout New Vegas almost best game ever?

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Good game, but not the best. I honestly think that Fallout 2 was better than 3 and NV.
With that said... an advantage to the PC version: user created bug fixes. Gotta love them.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
Fallout New Vegas was good, great even, but it had the burden of being compared to its (infinitely better IMHO) predecessor. Fallout 3 was a lot better, it was more immersive, the story was easier to follow, the quests were more fun, the healing mechanics of food were a lot better, in that they healed instantly rather than taking a full minute to heal one bar, which really doesn't help in the heat of battle, and lastly, karma actually mattered, rather than taking a back seat to what is basically karma that only works for x group of people. I like the idea, but the execution was awful. All in all, FO3 was better. To me anyway. Fallout 3 and Saints Row 2 are tied as my favorite games of all time, and Fallout New Vegas is another favorite of mine, but its in the lower half of my top ten. They're both good, Fallout 3 is just a lot better.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I very much enjoy FNV.. As far as I'm concerned, it should be called Fallout 3... and Bethesda's game should be called "Fallout: DC"

FNV didn't feel like a reboot of the series like F3 did... it was essentially the intended sequel.

I also enjoyed the fact that while you could basically go anywhere you wanted... some areas were just downright TOO dangerous for you to explore without the necessary experience. Fallout 3 was just typical sandbox run around anywhere you like anytime.

Also... Fallout 3 had a tone of repetitive buildings and subways. You could find a landmark in FNV and it would be a neat little shack with some interesting things... not another massive grind building.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
Madman123456 said:
"All my Circuits" is a Show within the "Futurama" Universe. They used to Joke about Amnesia there; comically flat Characters who all have Amnesia at some Point.
The Joke about Amnesia being used far too often was old when New Vegas came along.

One may think New Vegas has a better Story and more fleshed out Characters. But they do throw Amnesia in your Face right at the Start.

Whatever Story i read/play/see/whatever starts with Amnesia is off to a bad Start. 1000 Points from Obsidian.

Also, while New Vegas is superior in Storytelling despite the Amnesia Beginning, Fallout 3 did have some good Moments. Good Characters, like Fawkes or Dr. Braun.
Nice Places, like the Oasis, Tenpenny Tower, Megaton and Vault 101. No tired old Amnesia here.
Your character doesn't have amnesia he just got shot in the head, several times through dialog he references his past, EX: At one point when you talk to a singer from New Reno your character remembers seeing him sing. And if you don't know what New Reno is you never played the first 2 Fallout games and don't get why New Vegas is more Fallout 3 than the real Fallout 3 is.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Madman123456 said:
"All my Circuits" is a Show within the "Futurama" Universe. They used to Joke about Amnesia there; comically flat Characters who all have Amnesia at some Point.
The Joke about Amnesia being used far too often was old when New Vegas came along.

One may think New Vegas has a better Story and more fleshed out Characters. But they do throw Amnesia in your Face right at the Start.

Whatever Story i read/play/see/whatever starts with Amnesia is off to a bad Start. 1000 Points from Obsidian.
If the Courier had amnesia he/she would be stating "How did I get here" and that kind of bull at the beginning of the game.

What he/she actually says is more along the lines of "Aw man, some guy in a shitty suit shot me in the head and took my shit. Do you know where he went?".

There isn't much other dialogue about the Courier's past, but not like it matters in the least. You got a guy to find, shit to do, and people to meet.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
My New Vegas playthrough was clear of bugs, actually!
And then I discovered mods.
I experience those CTD buggers in my bloody dreams now...

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Unborn023 said:
So I picked up the game pretty late (got it for like $15) and I've played through most the main story and just got my first piece of DLC last night.
I'm really tempted to say that this is one of the greatest games I've ever played..... too bad theres a bug around every goddamn corner. I see why the critics were so pissed off by it. The bugs not only forced me to replay things numerous times but they even F***ed up some of my missions (characters not being where they were supposed to/not letting me speak to them)
It really is a shame that this game came so close to being immortalized in my game collection (which it still might be) but just knowing how many bugs I'm going to run into on my next playthrough makes me just a bit annoyed. Anybody else got the New Vegas Blues?
That's kind of Obsidian's thing. Bugs. Bugs and other companies' sequels.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Unborn023 said:
GonzoGamer said:
mad825 said:
No, the plot is still somewhat poor and suffers from a few game design flaws like the use of the invisible walls, which has a big impact on it being a open world game.
Yea, and I miss the random encounters too.
It's too bad, I thought that big patch they released six months after the game launched was supposed to fix most of the problems. I guess not.

Glitches by the Number,
Bugs by the score,
every day I play it less,
'cause each day it crashes more,
Glitches by the number,
It's a game I can't win,
'Caus the quests I do stop counting,
and the game picks when to end.

Heartache number one was when they left me
I never knew companions go away
And then at vault twenty two
Was when I found them again
Got them back but couldn't make them stay

Yes, I've got
Glitches by the Number,
Bugs by the score,
every day I play it less,
'cause each day it crashes more,
Glitches by the number,
It's a game I can't win,
'Caus the quests I do stop counting,
and the game picks when to end.

Endless Loading Screen
was what would halt me
And one side of those Vegas gates I stay
With cowboy hat
I waited for what's beyond the door
I waited but could not go on my way
Lmao can't believe u just typed a poem about it
Pretty damn accurate and good for something on the fly though

He changed the words to Heartaches By The Number, a song that plays fairly often on the radio. It's not a poem.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
It just seemed to me like everything in New Vegas was done better in Fallout 3. Story, atmosphere, voice acting est. That's just me though.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
RagTagBand said:
I encountered no bugs in my play through whatsoever and yet it's still FAR from the best game ever made. I saw NV as more of a "This is what fallout 3 should have been" game.
I saw it as more of a: "hey! We hope you like Joey, cause here's a spin-off!"

reecenolan

Aug 17, 2011
It was a fine game and was fun to play and find all the guns but not one of the greatest but perhaps the next one

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Endless Loading Screen
was what would halt me
With cowboy hat
Here. Just...take my money.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Personally I didn't get on with it, after loving 3 then going back and playing the first 2 and loving them I was really looking forward to New Vegas. And I was sorely disappointed. Tried playing it a few times but I just can't bring myself to stick with it for more than 5 or so hours.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Calbeck said:
GonzoGamer said:
Endless Loading Screen
was what would halt me
With cowboy hat
Here. Just...take my money.
Yay. I'm cyber-busking.

Oct 30, 2010
I prefer FNV a lot. Rather than rehash the same points the debate always has (story, characters, bugs etc.), I'll point out one of the small things I liked about New Vegas.

They removed 1,001 perks that were +5 skill/+5 other skill. I actually felt excited upon getting to choose a new perk.

Kato777

Aug 17, 2011
I a bit hesitant to say I have put in 25 hours in the last day in to that game.... ⌐_⌐