Fallout: New Vegas, Is It Worth It?

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
A few questions about this.
I keep hearing different stories about the bugs. Some say that the bugs completely ruin the game but others say that they are only a minor hindrance. I've heard some people say that they never got any, and some saying that most of the major bugs are patched by now.
If I were to buy the game now, what would be its status and would it be worth it?
I have 140 hours play time.

I've had game crippling bugs only a hand full of times.

There are a lot of bugs I wouldn't considered game crippling. It certainly isn't a "bug free" experience.

And I only got them after I installed the DLC.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I recommend that you purchase it. I recently started playing the game again on the 360, and it's a blast. I started a very hard/hardcore playthrough, which has made the game much more interesting. Fallout 3 is only better with the environment, the Mojave is more empty when compared to the DC Wasteland. It's still a great buy though.

I don't encounter many bugs, except for the occasional freeze.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Yes!! I don't think I can EVER endorse this game enough. It is an AMAZING game. The setting is fantastic, the story is quite cool and the game itself gives you some amazing choices that will, I promise you, make you stop and think "Hmmm, did I really just intuitively make that choice? I didn't think I would've; but, now that I have.... I see myself in a WHOLE new light."

That happened to me. I was surprised at myself for siding with House, even though I CLEARLY thought it was the right thing to do now.
Well done Obsidian. You have literally told me more about myself than my parents ever have (not Hyperbole).

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
It's an awesome game, and I didn't really experience many bugs, and I bought it at release. In fact, I didn't get a single game breaking bug, which means I had more when I played F3, and even that was only one bug, which I managed to work around.

So yeah, game is totally worth it.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
The latest update fixed the major bugs as long as you have it downloaded to your hard-drive, it's a good game, but, as ever with fallout, the story is shockingly poor but the side-quests seem to make up for it and the characters are so good, again, as always.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Captain Epic said:
Spookimitsu said:
$9 bucks at best buy for the PS3. Yup definitely worth it.
Is it buggy on Ps3? It seems like most people are playing on PC here.
Not that bad, I've never had it freeze on me. I have seen a few weird graphical clipping twitches, but those are few and far between.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
True, the bugs were really annoying when the game came out, but the patches have fixed about 90% of them. And it's a good addition to the series. Sure, it's nowhere near as good as
Fallout 3, but it's still good, definitely worth playing.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Jesus it's the buggiest game I've ever seen. All the freezes, crashes, and inventory-destroying issues will have you ripping your hair out and tossing your console (or PC, if you're "doin' it right"). And besides the bugs, the quest structure is so ass-backwards, you'll write to Obsidian telling them your mind is full of fuck.

Now, all that said, when the game does work, it works brilliantly! It's as fun as any other Fallout game and twice as expansive. The way they squeezed so many missions into one area while also keeping it fun and new is pretty cool. I think you should just buy it, but be ready to return it if you have a short-fuse.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Considering I loved Fallout 3. I really appreciate Bethesda's approach to RPGs, with less focus on the main storyline, and more focus on the world itself.

Their approach is like making a 6 season TV show, rather than a 3 hour movie.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
Is it as dark as Fallout 3?
Nope. Much less grimdark than Fallout 3 was, more humor like the old games. That being said, there are parts where it gets way darker than 3, but it juxtaposes them well with less dark parts.