Fallout: New Vegas

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
This goes back some time. I've mentioned before how I used to like playing Frontier: Elite 2 while rocking back and forth on my chair to simulate banking and making wooshing sounds with my mouth. Many years ago when playing the first 2D Grand Theft Auto I'd spend time role-playing as a law-abiding citizen attempting to have a relaxing Sunday drive following the rules of the road and not harming a soul. Which got a little disheartening when pedestrians would scream and flee for their lives because I'd pulled up at the lights three feet away. The point is, everyone wants to roleplay a little bit. Make an open-ended game immersive enough and players will make their own fun.
Personally I liked to jump in a pickup truck, crank the country music that was playing on the radio, and more or less obey the rules of the road but drive like a complete redneck asshole. Yeehaaw!

pfcubed313

Oct 27, 2009
I can understand Yahtzee's point about not wanting to fast-travel. The journey is half the advent, Bilbo Baggins, etc.

My recommendation then is NOT FAST-TRAVELING. It's an option, not a requirement, and you just decide not to do it. I don't know, I sped-read the thread above me and I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, but the best D&D games I've played were the ones in which the DM picked and chose which rules/systems to focus on. Free will makes everything more challenging.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I've been really enjoying playing minecraft that way. I act like I'm the last man on earth and I need to protect myself from the mutant horde trying to attack me every night. With the new biomes I like to go out in search of new lands and adventure through any natural caves I might find along the way. You can explore caves for hours in that game. I also built a giant floating deathstar.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I find minecraft to be immerse and engaging, and allows for great role playing. Of course, the lack of a story or other players means the role-playing aspect is a bit limited. Still, that might be fixed by the time the full game drops.

Edit: Well, I see I've been beaten to the punch.

I like to role-play that I've washed up on a desert Island, and have to build shelter to stay alive.

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
Well said. I've always wondered if I was strange of me to read out all the lines of dialogue from Chrono trigger loud to myself as I played it. With different voices for each char. Even the girls.

I feel wierd now...

Also:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
...when playing Arkham Horror with my friends...
+1 awesome point, although I wonder how you get time to ever do that. Takes an hour just to set up the board. (Exaggeration for humour value)

I'm of the feeling that World of Warcraft is, on balance, a force for evil in the world today, but I can admire its design just as one could admire the efficiency of Nazi Germany.
+2 awesome points.

The question would be then, Yahtzee, what were you roleplaying in Dizzy? And if you say "an egg" then the yolk's on you.
THIS

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
yes props on the playing arkham horror

Would be interesting if there were just highways all about the fallout 3 world to be the only areas you can motorcycle on to alleviate strain of working one over the majority of the f'd up terrain. Or maybe hijack one of those chinese tanks....

I consider the game to have good roleplaying and characters when I can give a crap about not letting someone die when i could easily and hilariously kill them. Not like fallout3 where if a person possibly has caps on them and they don't repair stuff, then they're getting fed to the only character worth keeping alive, Dogmeat.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
Red Dead Redemption sort of pulls off the big immersive world dealie while allowing the option of fast travel, but the problem it runs into is you can't interact in any real significant way with people beyond violence or hog-tying them, and the random encounters really, REALLY start to repeat themselves and get boring.

Greeds2

Dec 23, 2008
I think that Fallout 3 needs a fast-travel, because honestly who can be bothered to walk through the same "low-on-detail" areas a hundred times.

What they really should have implemented (come on, the lead designers were from Black Isle!!) is the Fallout/Fallout 2 system where your fast travel was represented as a trail on the map, and you had random encounters along the way (they were frustrating, but less frustrating than either the current system or walking around everywhere). Your journeyman skill affected how often these random encounters occurred and there was a perk to make them more interesting.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
When it comes to immersion (for me) it depends on how real the place feels.

I was less inclined to fast travel in Fallout 3 because it felt more like a real world: the destinations had broad spaces in between where you could sometimes take a nice stroll, but at other times in the same space you might run into a band of raiders, or you might run into that guy you saved from the mutant infested building, or brotherhood on patrol, or a ufo might explode overhead. There were a bunch of different things that could happen.

In Fallout NV there's no real incentive to hoof it: there are a few random events at the beginning but they stop, you usually only get attacked by mutant beasts, and all the locations are right on top of each other so it's hard to get lost in the world.

They did make a few improvements to the game but they need a little help making their open worlds more realistic.

Running into this many invisible walls also dampens the immersion as well.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Roleplaying is for hopeless losers? I'll have you know... *looks at self* it's pretty accurate.

New rule, everytime I feel like roleplaying on the internet I do fifty manly pushups.

I disagree about the Fallout hiking thing. I don't expect a fast travel system in my apocalypse.

randomID

Dec 29, 2008
There will always be role-playing as long as someone, somewhere in the world is dissatisfied with their position and status in life. Even if you did manage to make a universally happy utopia there'll still be someone who secretly longs to be a six-breasted double-cocked anthropomorphic dolphin wizard.
I'm of the feeling that World of Warcraft is, on balance, a force for evil in the world today, but I can admire its design just as one could admire the efficiency of Nazi Germany.
These two made my day.
Also I remember how, when I got oblivion, I didn't know about the fast travel system. When I discovered it, I kind of disliked it. So I installed a mod to disable it. Then I missed it, because it takes ages to get everywhere.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
If you really want to get into a game that has EVOLVED from it's previous installments by learning from the older games, Civ V is a glory to behold. Moving on squares has been replaced with hexigons, it is quite possible to beat the game with never making more then one city, their are city states to contend with, and you can't put more then one military unit on one tile at a time so you don't have 29 units stacked onto one square and every war becomes a war of attrition. Be warned, once you get into it, it will suck away hours in a way that would make peggle blush.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Well..., yeah..., then..., if you don't like fast travel...

--- WARNING! MAJOR REVELATION AHEAD! ---

...why just not use it?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
...when playing Arkham Horror with my friends...
+1 awesome point, although I wonder how you get time to ever do that. Takes an hour just to set up the board.
That's provided you don't own any of the expansions. I do loves me some Arkham Horror...

tadaaaaa

Nov 20, 2009
I really like the idea of a large RPG being more like an episodic TV series. Imagine if in Pokemon, you'd had to handle the weird and wonderful problems each gym leader has, before finally fighting and getting the badge? Instead of just grinding your way to the door and using the same move for every opponent 'mon.

Andy of Comix Inc said:
Someone should send him a copy of Super Meat Boy already.
Yes. Yes yes.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I completely agree with the state of gaming now, especially with the FPS genre. Seems like ever since Halo game out, the genre shifted that way for the most part. Then developers just played it safe with that and never tried other stuff...

No more games where you didn't have to choose which guns to carry and you could keep them all (like Goldeneye and Duke Nukem), no more extremely absurd weapon combinations (Goldeneye again with the P90/grenade launcher combo in the Jungle), no more complex level design that would leave you lost for a while (Doom and Quake)...

Painkiller and NecroVision have been close to keeping this alive, and hopefully Bulletstorm and Rage do the same, but I sadly think that the future of the FPS genre is going to be a ton of the same rehashing, and the same for other genres too...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
In conclusion:

New Vegas could have used something along the lines of Fallout 2's "Highwayman".

I mean, beyond simply finding it wrecked and worthless out in the wasteland.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I've not played Fallout 3 or New Vegas at all, but I can imagine how fast travel would take alot away from the game. Would have been better ot include a bike or buggy of some sort. Fallout 2 all those years ago had a cadalac you could eventually get (though fuel was sparce and to get it was expencive in the first place!). It even came with a spacious boot that you could use as a travelling ammo/armour/crap supply!

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
"...sometimes while trying to sleep in bed at night I pretend I'm in a cryo-pod on a spaceship in the far future..."
I can now sleep satisfied, knowing that I'm not the only weirdo on the planet who does this.