Fallout New Vegas

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
I was just playing it a few minutes ago actually. Personally I find it to be improved in almost every aspect compared to fallout 3. The atmosphere is a bit lighter in general and it's seriously easy (or at least I find it to be quite easy even on very hard) but it's really fun and it has really good replay value. I don't have any DLC and I've racked up 90 hours and I'm still playing. As for the bugs, apart from some NPCs occasionally clipping into the terrain hilariously and the game spontaeneously crashing there isn't much to worry about. The old bug that would regress saves back a few hours is gone and while sometimes stuff will happen that really shouldn't, they're usually harmless and pretty funny. If you enjoyed Fallout 3 then you will enjoy new vegas.
Plus, nobody has plot armour. YAY!

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
Brentpool said:
Okay, so I was way late to the Fallout party, but in the long run, I'm glad I eventually got there because it turned out to be a great party with free booze and fast hotties, but I digress...

I love Fallout 3 and its DLC (even though Broken Steel kinda pissed all over the epic, conclusive "Good" ending) but I'm wondering about New Vegas. My roommate basically castrated that game because of some bugs that prevented her from continuing the game or something, and she hasn't touched it since. On top of that, the fact that New Vegas was bugged up the ass upon release isn't really a secret.

So my question is: Is New Vegas worth getting now? Has it been long enough that most of the bugs are fixed?

Fallout 3 wasent bugged up the ass on release?

New Vegas is very worth it, I bought the Collectors edition for $80 and the game is $25 now and I feel like I underpaid.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I'd get it. There are enough community mods to fix any bugs that developers missed, and I haven't found it to be to buggy lately. I personally like it better then Fallout 3 even.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
All games have bugs but it seems this games bugs subtracted 2 points from all reviews of the game.

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
I felt it was much better than Fallout 3. I loved Fallout 3 and sunk hour after hour into, finishing the game several times over with different characters. But New Vegas is better, in my opinion, in almost every way.

The gameplay mechanics, though still fundamentally the same as Fallout 3, have been tweaked enough that everything just seems to fit together better now. The story is my favourite of the two, with the bitter political in fighting serving a much better story than Fallout 3's daddy issues. And really, how can you go past an NCR ranger with an Anti-materiel rifle. That shit is awesome!

There were some major, game breaking bugs that I experienced and yes they were really annoying when you encountered one of them. But after the release of the patches I've not had one single bug that was bad enough for me to rage quit. Some clipping issues are really all I've experienced lately.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I have it on PC and I've never had any bugs. At one point Steam would grump at me when I tried to start the game up but I just ran it in a different compatability mode and it was fine.

Maybe I was just lucky I don't know.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, it's worth getting. It might have been bugged up the ass but it's also been patched up the ass, too. In my opinion, however, it's not as good as Fallout 3. But that's for a different time... for a different thread.
So, yeah, get it. :p

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Depends what you're playing on. For PC, I definitely recommend it, as well as a number of mods (Project Nevada, Fellout, Collectible Canteens, Lucky 38 cookstoves, Distant Gunfire sound fix, Bullet impact LOD increase, Bottlecaps have weight, weight rebalance, nocol... et cetera). It's a damn fine game, with all that and the latest patch.
If you're playing it on a console, I have no recommendation for you, as I've never experienced it on such a thing.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
It was superior to Fallout 3 in every single way.

I coud go into details but I won't..

..Ok I'll say one.

Political and social meaning, New Vegas has lots of this and is something that 3 really lacked. If you're looking for some good satire of human identity and explanation of how humanity is so good at screwing itself over, New Vegas is the game to play.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
I have just started playing it and i am enjoying it. People seem to be pissed off that it wasnt that different from 3 which is true but thats fine if you ask me.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
It's very different to Fallout 3 but still great. It focuses less on atmosphere and environmental storytelling, and more on characters and quests.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
It's very different to Fallout 3 but still great. It focuses less on atmosphere and environmental storytelling, and more on characters and quests.
What about H&H Tool factory? That place is full of computers with e-mails sent to co-workers and other details about what happened there.

Then theres the Sierra Madre in Dead Money that has heaps of computers, notes, diaries and wall scrawlings that show the history of the Sierra Madre, there's even a challenge to find all of the historical pieces.

Vault 11 is one big story about the experiment that was undertaken there and you can even accidently become a part of it.

The Survivalist in the Honest Hearts DLC is also shown through places and things you find located in Zion.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
ChupathingyX said:
MiracleOfSound said:
What about H&H Tool factory? That place is full of computers with e-mails sent to co-workers and other details about what happened there.

Then theres the Sierra Madre in Dead Money that has heaps of computers, notes, diaries and wall scrawlings that show the history of the Sierra Madre, there's even a challenge to find all of the historical pieces.

Vault 11 is one big story about the experiment that was undertaken there and you can even accidently become a part of it.

The Survivalist in the Honest Hearts DLC is also shown through places and things you find located in Zion.
I'm with MiracleOfSound in this.
Particular indovidual locations have very good atmosphere, the vaults are indeed great in that, but for the most part and overall its not as good. All those invisable walls make it feel smaller than it is for example.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Knight Templar said:
Particular indovidual locations have very good atmosphere, the vaults are indeed great in that, but for the most part and overall its not as good. All those invisable walls make it feel smaller than it is for example.
Invisible walls have nothing to do with storytelling.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
ChupathingyX said:
Knight Templar said:
Invisible walls have nothing to do with storytelling.
But they do have a lot to do with atmosphere.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
New Vegas was my game of the year last year, I thought it was a great improvement on 3, and I felt that the story and setting was more in line with Fallout. Lots of choice and roleplaying as well, to me it's much more replayable than 3. If you loved 3, I think it's safe to assume you'll at least like New Vegas.
That pretty much sums up my view.

I played through it three times back to back (as in, once finishing it, I immeadiately started a new game) something I didn't do with Fallout 3.

That all said; I loved 3 a lot but New Vegas sucked me in more and the world felt more alive.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, New Vegas is pretty good, even with all the bugs.
But most of them are amusing anyway.
Oh, one word of advice: Stay away from the cazadors, seriously, STAY AWAY!
:p