Fallout: NV.... Something very wrong.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Wow this is massive trolling. Serioiusly dude.

Firstly, the size of the world is not smaller. It is skinnier than F3, but much more taller.
Secondly, linear? Punishing you for choices they don't want you to make? Please give an example.
Third, ahhh you can skip heaps of F3's storyline by going straight to Vault 112? And it makes sense to. Benny is at New Vegas STrip, why wouldn't it update?
Fourth, tehre are many quests in NV that are not "go to A, speak to B". The "Beyond the Beef" quest, dealing with the Kings for the NCR diplomatically, "You'll know it when it happens", the quest to either defend, or attack Goodsprings, and many others.
Fifth, Glowing Ones do have radiation, why do you think the are glowing? Did you think they ate a bunch of light bulbs?

You're obviously some kind of Bethesda fanboy who thinks that Oblivion is a deep RPG and you probably pay no attention to proper caracter development.

Fallout: New Vegas is not feeding on the life of Fallout 3, it is continuing the story of the West Coast of America and he effects of what humanity would do after a nuclear apocalypse because of it's own unsatiable greed for power.

Oh and personally I've gotten much more bugs playing F3 than I have NV.

Also if anyone is screwing up the lore of the Fallout universe, it's Bethesda. They killed Harold the bastards. They ruined the BoS. They resurrected a faction that was almost wiped out and now are somehow a massive force. They barely creatd anything new, for example why are there Super Mutants ont he East Coast, and even better ye, why are they so dumb and sound constipated all the time? why do we need to start a war over a purfier that was has a veryarbitrary purpose? How did a group of people strip apart a airport yet theycan't build a well?

And most of all, why does activating the GECK kill you?

Oh, did I mention they killed off Harold?

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
defiante1 said:
Jazoni89 said:
acidstrider said:
Trolls are out in force today.

So many fallout new vegas troll topics so little time.

If you hate the game so much why not go the Gamefaqs/4chan and rant on about it on there im sure you would be greeted with open arms.
So many fallout trolls... maybe because their not trolls. Just legitimate gammers with valid complaints. Even a fan of this game cant argue its rediculously buggy and poorly tested. For a AAA game its embarrassing.
And it's even more embarrassing how much topic we have about this. Why spend your time ranting on about a game on a forum its just stupid.

If you don't like the game just don't play it Just get my money back or whatever you want to do. Nothing lost nothing gained simple as.
Because its one of the best series of games their breaking just to make some money. Fallout franchise should be handled with respect, not crapped out by some company looking to make some easy money. Their abusing peoples love for the series to wrangle people into buying it. The game is FAMOUSLY buggy, the amount of threads complaining about this arnt trolls their pissed off gammers.

Angers people to see one of their favourte series abused by a company with the time and money to Beta test it and patch it but... could be bothered and shipped it before it was ready. Fallout has normally prided itself on its excellent story and brilliant Roleplay experiance, NV cant even come close to that since the game is too broken to manage it and the story so bland. Rediculous choices like... "Help Ghoul Space explorers, or blow them up!" Be hopelessly nice or evil for no real reason, cant even find enough interesting reasons to track down the killers.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
New Vegas really did something bad there, didn't it? Instead of the Bethesda player-curling that was so obvious in Oblivion and Fallout 3, with every encountered perfectly leveled to be somewhat worse then the player, New Vegas decided to go with the Fallout 2 style of difficulty: Follow the path or something will smack you down so hard you'll be picking macadame out of your teeth for years to come.

Fallout 1 (and in particular) 2 really punished the player for trying to go to high level areas a little too early. Remember those roaming mobsters around New Reno that could molest any character not packing Combat Armor and a high tier weapon and at least two allies? Or how about the Geckos that could tear most characters below level 5 so many new ones they'd look like swiss cheese? New Vegas just did the same thing. Why?

It is called Pacing. By encouraging the player to go a certain route, they can introduce story-elements as the player goes along. Yes, we should all hate Obsidian for actually believing that the players could handle such a thing as not being born into the world as an omnipotent slayer at level 1 but actually going through an old-school leveling up routine as found in traditional RPGs...

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
ChupathingyX said:

Firstly, the size of the world is not smaller. It is skinnier than F3, but much more taller.
Secondly, linear? Punishing you for choices they don't want you to make? Please give an example.
Third, ahhh you can skip heaps of F3's storyline by going straight to Vault 112? And it makes sense to. Benny is at New Vegas STrip, why wouldn't it update?
Fourth, tehre are many quests in NV that are not "go to A, speak to B". The "Beyond the Beef" quest, dealing with the Kings for the NCR diplomatically, "You'll know it when it happens", the quest to either defend, or attack Goodsprings, and many others.
Fifth, Glowing Ones do have radiation, why do you think the are glowing? Did you think they ate a bunch of light bulbs?

You're obviously some kind of Bethesda fanboy who thinks that Oblivion is a deep RPG and you probably pay no attention to proper caracter development.

Fallout: New Vegas is not feeding on the life of Fallout 3, it is continuing the story of the West Coast of America and he effects of what humanity would do after a nuclear apocalypse because of it's own unsatiable greed for power.

Your kidding me right ? You havent even read my posts, ive been insulting Bethesda for their bad handling of the series, hardly a fanboy of theirs. They brought out the half finished Fallout 3 from the creators, finished it and then claimed credit. Their first stand alone Fallout game isnt up to scratch and nor have the DLC's they released for Fallout 3. Either being too game breaking or too dull.

And I said they included a non radioactive Glowing one. Its in the game. Go play it. The Ghoul space explorers are lead by a Glowing one that you can stand next too and talk too WITHOUT radition damage. Thats not my opinion thats a fact in the game.

As for content, if its so similar then why is the playtime so differant. Fallout 3 has heaps of content and NV can completed in full without even trying.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas and they are the only Fallout games I have played so I have no nostalgia. Although I agree with you about how there are enemies that are way to powerful and force you in a certain direction, it sort of ruins the "do whatever you please" mentality of the game.

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
Gethsemani said:
New Vegas really did something bad there, didn't it? Instead of the Bethesda player-curling that was so obvious in Oblivion and Fallout 3, with every encountered perfectly leveled to be somewhat worse then the player, New Vegas decided to go with the Fallout 2 style of difficulty: Follow the path or something will smack you down so hard you'll be picking macadame out of your teeth for years to come.

Fallout 1 (and in particular) 2 really punished the player for trying to go to high level areas a little too early. Remember those roaming mobsters around New Reno that could molest any character not packing Combat Armor and a high tier weapon and at least two allies? Or how about the Geckos that could tear most characters below level 5 so many new ones they'd look like swiss cheese? New Vegas just did the same thing. Why?

It is called Pacing. By encouraging the player to go a certain route, they can introduce story-elements as the player goes along. Yes, we should all hate Obsidian for actually believing that the players could handle such a thing as not being born into the world as an omnipotent slayer at level 1 but actually going through an old-school leveling up routine as found in traditional RPGs...
A tottally valid point and one I agree with, its a good system to use. However my point was that in this case, they seem to be using it to hide the lack of content or freedom. Generic quests that have to be done in a relative order, town to town and YOU DIE if you go try to break this order.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Fallout 3 had just as many bugs as New Vegas, and New Vegas had better writing and dialogue.

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
The bugs that occured in Fallout 3 were relatively excusable because it was a major leap forward compaired to the previous fallout games. In terms of design, size, scope and playability. Yet they didnt make any effort to improve, beta test or fix these same problems which is not excusable for a company of that size.

Hell they even brought up that point in the escapist written review of fallout 3 NV.

Would appreciate people stop trolling this thread without reading my thread properly. Glowing ones should be radio active, but in New Vegas one is not. No explination save he is building a space rocket. That is stupid, it breaks context and immersion. I am not a fan of Bethesda either. Game content aside... argue as much as you like on that but New Vegas does not have as much playtime or quests in it. Count them.

Necromancist

Jul 3, 2008
acidstrider said:
So what you're saying is that horrible bugs made the starting area go hostile to you. Then you go on listing several illogical things about the story. Though if you hadn't ran into these bugs (I have never ever heard of Goodsprings going hostile, by the way), you'd have noticed the following in your romp through the sleepy little town:

1. You can ask around town for your attackers, and eventually find out who they were, what they did and where they went.

2. At least two people will mention that the road north is unsafe, and that if you want to find the people who killed you you're going to have to go the same way they did: southeast. The deathclaws at Quarry Junction are there for the explicit purpose of deterring low-level players from taking the short route to Vegas and missing out on the story and pacing the developers had intended; thus the bugs and nonsensical conversation when you got there. You're not supposed to go through Quarry Junction to get to New Vegas, the developers took precautions to MAKE SURE you wouldn't, and thus they didn't take it into much consideration.

3. You meet that robot two or three times on your way to New Vegas, if you go along the supposed route.

4. There are alternate ways to get into New Vegas other than paying 2000 caps. Look around Freeside, find out who's in charge.

In short, you suffered a few bad bugs in the beginning that crippled your game and based your opinion on that. From the controller comment at the end, I have to assume you're playing the 360 or PS3 version; these are MUCH buggier than the PC version. That's not fanboyism, that's a fact. You can look at New Vegas' bug page on http://fallout.wikia.com and I guarantee you'll find more PS3 and 360 bugs than PC ones.

As for the setting, quests, etc... I liked it. Which ones did you actually do? Try doing Veronica's companion quest (companions are MUCH more likeable this time around; they actually have personalities instead of just being armed and armored loot wagons with bad pathfinding), Restoring Hope, I Put A Spell On You, Beyond The Beef... I admit that some side quests aren't very original and a bit repetitive (did I spell that right?), but come on. There are more than a hundred of quests of varying kinds in New Vegas. Not all of them are marked in your quest log. There's just a whole frickin' lot more to do than Fallout 3 by any measure, and I can't seem to remember even Fallout 1 and 2 having that much to do. I'm not saying that quantity > quality, but quantity > scarcity.

So yeah. Get the PC version, wait for a patch, or just take the Wild Wasteland to give some perspective to all the crazy shit that happens. And please go south. No offense, but when you got killed by Deathclaws several times over, didn't it occur to you that finding another way might be a better idea?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Bethesda didn't make this game though? Obsidian did, and Obsidian is made up of people who originally worked on F1/2.

Yes I know who you're talking about. He's involved in the quest "Come Fly With Me". A quest given to you by Manny in Novac. You don't get radiation standing near him, but to me that's pretty minor. Oh and they're not space explorers, they just want to go to a new land, never say anything about space.

So can Fallout 3, in fact it's easier to do F3 because of Bethesda's weird levelling system. What does the world revolve around you? Where are all the Super Mutant Masters when you're at level 1? Do they see you and think, "Oh, he's weak lets not fight him."

Dusquad

Sep 3, 2009
I will admit that I am a raving Fallout fan. I will admit I would rather play New Vegas over Fallout 3 but there is a reason that isn't just me being a fanboy. It has so much more of what the old Fallout's represented (to Fallout fans) and has some newer mechanics that make the game more newbie friendly (for the Call of Duty addicts who simply can't play anything that doesn't classify as a shooter), and it also returned a lot of the RPG elements to the game whereas in Fallout 3, one would be able to throw skill points around with shear abandon and still come out pretty well rounded. I will say that a lot of the game is copy and paste but there is a reason for that as well. Since it is developed by Obsidian, the game probably did not have a lot of money to work with. Even with Bethesda publishing the game, there was some bad blood between the two which could have led to Bethesda shelling out less resources for the game.

Not to mention this person is absolutely correct.

WrongSprite said:
Because. It's. FUCKING. FUN.

For fucks sake, why can't people just realise that people can enjoy games, and ignore, or not mind any 'faults'. I don't fucking analyse every game I play, I just try to enjoy them.

GIKBSHEOGOWEJ *breathe*

/rant
as is this person

ChupathingyX said:

Also if anyone is screwing up the lore of the Fallout universe, it's Bethesda. They killed Harold the bastards. They ruined the BoS. They resurrected a faction that was almost wiped out and now are somehow a massive force. They barely creatd anything new, for example why are there Super Mutants ont he East Coast, and even better ye, why are they so dumb and sound constipated all the time? why do we need to start a war over a purfier that was has a veryarbitrary purpose? How did a group of people strip apart a airport yet theycan't build a well?

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
ChupathingyX said:

i agree with this

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
defiante1 said:
Dont get me wrong, im a big fan of the fallout series which is why im so annoyed at this game. It was so buggy on release it was like the company didnt care, which might not be far from the truth since Bethesda are not the origional creators of the fallout series.
You should know that Fallout fans hate the series more than anyone else.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
defiante1 said:
Jazoni89 said:
defiante1 said:
Jazoni89 said:
acidstrider said:
Trolls are out in force today.

So many fallout new vegas troll topics so little time.

If you hate the game so much why not go the Gamefaqs/4chan and rant on about it on there im sure you would be greeted with open arms.
So many fallout trolls... maybe because their not trolls. Just legitimate gammers with valid complaints. Even a fan of this game cant argue its rediculously buggy and poorly tested. For a AAA game its embarrassing.
And it's even more embarrassing how much topic we have about this. Why spend your time ranting on about a game on a forum its just stupid.

If you don't like the game just don't play it Just get my money back or whatever you want to do. Nothing lost nothing gained simple as.
Because its one of the best series of games their breaking just to make some money. Fallout franchise should be handled with respect, not crapped out by some company looking to make some easy money. Their abusing peoples love for the series to wrangle people into buying it. The game is FAMOUSLY buggy, the amount of threads complaining about this arnt trolls their pissed off gammers.

Angers people to see one of their favourte series abused by a company with the time and money to Beta test it and patch it but... could be bothered and shipped it before it was ready. Fallout has normally prided itself on its excellent story and brilliant Roleplay experiance, NV cant even come close to that since the game is too broken to manage it and the story so bland. Rediculous choices like... "Help Ghoul Space explorers, or blow them up!" Be hopelessly nice or evil for no real reason, cant even find enough interesting reasons to track down the killers.

No fallout 3's choices where much more black and white. Haven't you played beyond the beef yet by the looks of things i guess not and this is just one example of a huge amount of choices you can make in fallout new vegas.

(Spoilers)

Okay so in this quest you got to find this man's son and their's a huge problem involving rich people eating humans as a delicacy. When you are in the kitchen (where the sons is kept prisoner you can).

Cook the meal using the ingredients - making a delicious meal of human flesh for your rich guests. You have to persuade The chef to give you the recipe with a barter skill of 55.

Improvise the Cooking of the meal - With a survival skill of 75 you can cook the meal without the use of the handbook.

Distract the cook - Using a speech skill of 55 you can tell the cook that their's a rad roach outside the kitchen. This gives you time to rescue the son.

You can also try to kill the cook if you want to.

their's also a option to drug the wine using a med-x with a medicine skill of 25 and by doing that it makes your escape with the son much more easier.

No quest in fallout 3 comes anywhere close to that much choices and that's just one quest.

Necromancist

Jul 3, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
the glowing ones doing radiation was bethesda's idea. including the zombie ghouls. the ghouls and glowing ones are merely humans with a skin condition. they dont eat human flesh, and they dont do shit. granted, they do become insane over time and become cannibals but even then they still retain their intelligence. Jason bright followed the CORRECT fallout lore. fallout 3 did not.
No.

Ghouls are basically rotting corpses. It's not just a skin condition; their bodies are actively decaying and their brains are deteriorating to the point of inevitable insanity. The reason that Glowing Ones are actually glowing is because their bodies don't filter out radioactive materials anymore.

Speaking of Glowing Ones, they did give you radiation in Fallout 1 and 2. Maybe not the Glowing One in the Gecko Power plant, I dunno. And feral Glowing Ones in both FO3 and New Vegas give you radiation. Jason Bright not doing so is either (a) a developer oversight which shouldn't be such a big deal, or (b) that they didn't do it because it would be annoying for the player.

In either case, they didn't do it "just so they could put in a cheap gimmick of a quest". Think about it. It's a group of ghouls who want to use pre-war rockets to travel to a religiously prophesized "holy land" aided by a human who thinks he's a ghoul. It's interesting, bizarre and fun. I loved the quest.

And the reason that your "game time" is so limited... the whole world is bigger. There are a lot more people to talk to. Did you try talking to people about things? You can find out a LOT just from hearing what people have to say, but I get the sense that you just skip some conversations to get to the interesting parts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
defiante1 said:
Ok, Fallout New Vegas has been out for a while and everyone seems to love it. My question is why ? People seem to be running around blinded by nostalgia about Fallout games, ignoring its many and obvious faults.
Nobody is ignoring the faults, but the pros far outweigh the cons. It's not being blinded with nostalgia, it's just people enjoying a good game.

The game itself is only 6GB's which is half the size of Fallout 3. The game is essentially one big copy and paste, many of the textures and and environments reused. The vault you find in New Vegas is such a clear copy and paste its laughable and the world is tiny, and not even a sandbox.
So, any sequel that uses resources from the previous game is just a copy/paste? I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. Yeah, some of the resources from FO3 are used, but there are tons of new models. The world isn't tiny, unless FO3 is tiny as well...

I know its all open free... technically but the game controls where you go by having immensely overpowered mobs herding your movements. So you can really only take one path throughout the wastelands. Its really linear gameplay, any attempt to break out and go on your own usually bugs the main quest which is also, very easy to do. The game punishes you for taking choices it doesn't approve off or heading in directions it doesn't like. A friend of mine managed to sneak past the Deathclaws and make it to New Vegas early on. Only to have the main quest instantly update to catch up, skipping 50% of the content and then crashing.
Too bad for your friend. You could skip chunks of the main quest in FO3 as well. You could skip the whole main quest in both FO1 and FO2. It's something inherent in the series. And I preffer there being parts of the game world with brutally tough creatures instead of everything being autoleveled to your level all the time like it was in FO3.

Speaking of broken quests, the game is laughably buggy, to the point where its almost unplayable if you don't heavily mod and patch it. Huge amounts of crashes and bugs that break any real immersion. The quest themselves ant much better, one you remove all the "Go to A and talk to B" quests there are less than probably 10 proper side quests with any real detail. About the same total quests as Fallout 3 had in Megaton.
Bullshit. The game hardly has any bugged quests. At least I ran into zero bugged quests in two full playthroughs. As for the complexity of the quests, you are just trolling. There are plenty of great, fun quests that take you to interesting locations. Maybe you just failed?

The game reeks of expansion pack material padded out to be resold as a full price game, this wouldn't be too bad if people weren't eating up with their "I <3 Fallout" glasses on. The series was great yes but this is a sad and shallow addition too it which uses humor to hide its failings. Even the humor itself is weak with often no attempt to fit them in with context. "A supermutant with a wig... yeah sounds awesome, throw it in. Or I know! Ghoul space explorers!" Being thrown in because of the lols, even breaking some established ideas to do so. Like Glowing One ghouls no longer doing radiation damage.
So, you have no sense of humor and are dead inside? Too bad for you...

People should try and judge these games that piggyback off previous success's without the rose tinted view or the love for the series blinding their judgement. Take off the fallout 3 label and call it "Wasteland Tales" and then this game wouldn't of even made it past launch.
People are judging it without it "piggybacking" on the previous game(s). And people are loving it. I feel sorry for you, but maybe it just isn't your kind of game.

You may go and sulk in the corner now.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I find that I like New Vegas just as much, maybe even a bit more than Fallout 3...

I encountered no bugs with the exception of a radscorpion stuck in the ground, and so far I am loving the story.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
No fallout 3's choices where much more black and white. Haven't you played beyond the beef yet by the looks of things i guess not and this is just one example of a huge amount of choices you can make in fallout new vegas.

(Spoilers)

Okay so in this quest you got to find this man's son and their's a huge problem involving rich people eating humans as a delicacy. When you are in the kitchen (where the sons is kept prisoner you can).

Cook the meal using the ingredients - making a delicious meal of human flesh for your rich guests. You have to persuade The chef to give you the recipe with a barter skill of 55

Improvise the Cooking of the meal - With a survival skill of 75 you can cook the meal without the use of the handbook.

Distract the cook - Using a speech skill of 55 you can tell the cook that their's a rad roach outside the kitchen. This gives you time to rescue the son.

You can also try to kill the cook if you want to.

their's also a option drug the wine using a med-x with a medicine skill of 25 and by doing that it makes your escape with the son much more easier.

No quest in fallout 3 comes anywhere close to that much choices and that's just one quest.
Ahhhhh, Beyond the Beef, what a great quest that was. I agree completely, it had so many choices, consequences, paths to follow and it had a nice backstory.

Look at F3.
Blow up Megaton/Save Megaton
Turn in Harkness/Don't turn in Harkness
Blow up Citadal/Blow up Mobile Base Crawler
Turn in Slaves/Capture slaves
Save purifier/contaminate purfier

Black and white.