Fallout: NV.... Something very wrong.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
The OP is not a troll. He is a "Stop Having Fun Guy".

He makes a detailed rant on how he doesn't like a game. He goes to great lengths to point out each and every one of its very obvious and not so obvious flaws.

Then, as reactions start pouring in, he does his best to defend each point as they are rebutted (is this a word?). The most common and valid argument for the game is that it is fun. OP claims that it is not because of the flaws.

Finally, he sighs with exasperation, claiming that he is tired of everyone arguing like the game has no flaws. They are doing nothing of the sort. They are saying that they like it and why, just as OP has done, only with the opposite.

OP says they are not wrong, states that they are entitled to enjoy it, but has implied the exact opposite by creating this entire thread. Because OP found the game to be less than enjoyable, he saw it necessary to inform everyone on how wrong they were for enjoying the game.

QED. A "Stop Having Fun Guy". Textbook scenario.

By the by, the apparent glitch-fest this game seems to be is what prevents me from going out and buying it. I liked Fallout 3, but I found it to be fairly glitch-light. Is it worth it Escapists?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
whats with trolls and hating NV, can't you just skip this and start hating black Ops of AC or something?

i liked new vegas
because it is fun
and i once got stuck in a rock and sometimes can't shoot after reloading a lever-action rifle. Thats it. Ok the game crashes sometimes but thats because my hardware is not composed of team player parts and happens in every game

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Andantil said:
Fallout 2 was essentially fallout with new guns, new places, a new story, and a few new textures, yet it is said by many to be one of the best RPGs ever made.

So if New Vegas does to Fallout 3 what Fallout 2 did to Fallout it isn't acceptable?

Edit:Oh, and I haven't experienced any major bugs at all save for crashing twice out of about 150 hours of gameplay. Good to be a member of the PC gamer master race.
There were new textures in Fallout 2? :p

IIRC: there might have been a few new set piece items, but the bulk of the game reused assets from the first.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Exactly what in your rant is something we haven't heard before? I hate to sound argumentative, but everything you've spoken of, I've heard Yahtzee talk about, Russ Pitts talk about, Andy Chalk, Tom Goldman... So forth. And that's just on this site.

Frankly, if you don't like the game, then you don't. You knew it was obsidian who made it, so maybe that could have been a clue from day one.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
seekeroftruth86 said:
Then, as reactions start pouring in, he does his best to defend each point as they are rebutted (is this a word?). The most common and valid argument for the game is that it is fun. OP claims that it is not because of the flaws.
Yes, "rebutted" is a legitimate word. I'm not 100% certain it's a proper form of rebuttal, but anyway.

seekeroftruth86 said:
By the by, the apparent glitch-fest this game seems to be is what prevents me from going out and buying it. I liked Fallout 3, but I found it to be fairly glitch-light. Is it worth it Escapists?
I've found it very enjoyable and worth the money, but I also haven't been particularly hard hit by the reported bugginess.

defiante1

Nov 9, 2010
Ok I think people are missing the point of this thread. Point is... the game is broken, it is poorly programmed using a system it copied from other games. It is riddled with bad quests, generic and bland writting with humour thrown in without content, rhyme or reason.

Its railroading approach to gameplay using high level mobs, to force you around a linear sequence of towns in a set order every time. While still offering lots of ways to break the quests to cheat and get ahead in ways the game developers didnt bother to try and think out.

Yet... its given a Fallout name tag and people turn a blind eye to it all because it has "That fallout feel to it." My question is why ? How far can a game go before its just shamelessly pissing on a franchise before the fans finially go this is silly. Why are people willing to ignore that they are still copy and pasting the broken Oblivion system into current games. A system that is now... around five years old. It wasnt good then and it isnt any better now.

If you think the game is good thats fine, but why ? When it has so many bugs, and stop with the mad denials that it doesnt. Its famous for its buggy nature and crashes, you may not have experianced many but nearly everyone else has. Which is terrible considering the system is half a decade old and they still havent worked the kinks out of it. Thats lazy.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
Starke said:
seekeroftruth86 said:
Yes, "rebutted" is a legitimate word. I'm not 100% certain it's a proper form of rebuttal, but anyway.
You know, to be honest, I think the word I was looking for was "refuted". Ah, well. Live and learn.

seekeroftruth86 said:
I've found it very enjoyable and worth the money, but I also haven't been particularly hard hit by the reported bugginess.[/quote]

That's two for NV. A friend of mine recommended it as well. Guess I'll have to think about putting it on my Christmas list.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
defiante1 said:
If you think the game is good thats fine, but why ? When it has so many bugs, and stop with the mad denials that it doesnt. Its famous for its buggy nature and crashes, you may not have experianced many but nearly everyone else has. Which is terrible considering the system is half a decade old and they still havent worked the kinks out of it. Thats lazy.
Here! Here, right here. No one has said anything about the game not having bugs. They have merely stated that the bugs do not bother them (or have not happened to them. That's a little different, but still valid in regards to their enjoyment of the game).

And yes it is lazy that the bugs were not tested out. That is part of the reason I don't have it yet.

No one is being unreasonable in their defense of the game! I think they're being unreasonable assuming you're a troll personally.

As a curiosity, which system are you referring to by the way? I apologize if you mentioned it earlier, I'd rather not trawl the thread, you understand.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Fallout 3 sucked me in the instant I started playing it.

Didn't have the same effect when I started FO:NV, which I think sucks, because it seems like a brilliant game overall(even though it is very copy pasta, no denying that).

I will try to finish it at some point.. but to me, immersion can make a game. Fable 2 sucked me in, and even though it might have some really bad points(like working for money, and demanding wives, pff) I still love playing it. So I might not be able to enjoy FO:NV. :/

Still adore FO3 though.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Because. It's. FUCKING. FUN.

For fucks sake, why can't people just realise that people can enjoy games, and ignore, or not mind any 'faults'. I don't fucking analyse every game I play, I just try to enjoy them.

GIKBSHEOGOWEJ *breathe*

/rant
Best argument I've heard. Despite the flaws and the copy pasta nature, it's really fun!
And I lack the Fallout nostalgia goggles that the OP seems to drive the game, I never played 1, 2 or any of the original Fallout games, and I thought 3 was mediocre at best.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
defiante1 said:
RobCoxxy said:
Glowing ones Do do radiation damage.
In the space Ghoul quest, their lead by a Glowing one which doesnt do raditation, retconning their own lore just to put in a cheap gymmic of a quest. And reason why I feel that this game needs to be held to proper standards is because its from one of our most loved series. Fallout represents one of the best RP trilogies made but New Vegas just seems like a cheap cash in compaired to the rest.

Game time alone it isnt even close to Fallout 3, you can complete the whole thing side quests included in a few days. Probably only one if you know what your doing.

Dont get me wrong, im a big fan of the fallout series which is why im so annoyed at this game. It was so buggy on release it was like the company didnt care, which might not be far from the truth since Bethesda are not the origional creators of the fallout series.
The Glowing ones which are FERAL I remind you... do radiation damage because they are hostile to everyone and everything that isn't a ghoul. Jason Bright yes he's a Glowing One but since he is non hostile and there is another human in the room besides the Courier he has the ability not to release his radiation plus if you look he has more skin covering up his radiation than other Feral Ghouls

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
While I appreciate your effort to put down everyone's enjoyment of New Vegas as some kind of drunken nostalgic daze, I assure you it isn't true as one of many who like the game. If you thought that this wasn't an expansion pack of Fallout 3 then where did you leave your brain when you bought the game? I have to agree that the cut and paste of a vault from Fallout 3 was a dick move by Bethesda. The only complaint I have about the missions in NV are that the main one is totally linear (at the start) and the game does push you away from Vegas instead of towards it, but the way that you complete or do not complete missions I feel works very well in the game. Other than the landscape (not being able to climb on rocks) and the main quest I feel the game has a good flow and the story kind of wraps itself around your actions.

*SPOILER*

Take for example the Powder Gangers that take over the prison. In my first playthrough I just walked up and asked if I could go in, and the guard told me to give him 100 caps. Instead I just blew his head off with a shotgun and proceeded inside to murder every single one of the bastards (except the Sheriff) gaining karma for my genocidal actions. At the end of the game it actually acknowledged that I had done this, which I thought was impressive. The second time I worked with them and helped them fight off the NCR troops that attacked the place. I imagine if you leave them alone there is a third possibility for the their ending in the game.

The three option system is limited, but the game allows independent action. If the developers had constructed the third game like the first two then there probably would be a lot more depth to the quests, but they sacrificed flash for content, much like Fallout 3 when compared to Fallout 2.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
I love New Vegas, I loved Fallout 3, I admit there are things I miss, things I don't, but I don't see why everyone is complaining so much. Complaining about bugs, yes I completely understand that, they have frustrated me to no end but, every complaint I've seen is that they went directly north to New Vegas of course you're going to miss out on everything. Take a moment to think about Fallout 3 freshly exited from Vault 101 where did you go first? The Jefferson Memorial? Fuck no, you went to Megaton! Don't complain on missing everything and the game crashing on your asses people, I think Fallout New Vegas follows the path of a linear video game... at first... after you travel to Novac and complete Manny's quest you're free to do whatever the hell you want until you feel you want to go to Boulder City that's what I did I went through the motion and then fucked around for a few days before going to Boulder City. The next time you feel about complaining and making points try to have a legitimate argument and counter measures in place for all "Yeah but what about...?" questions then come back so we can have a legitimate discussion, until then have a nice day.

As far as things I miss from Fallout 3, I miss the maze like structures to buildings, exploring every nook and cranny was one of the funnest experiences I've had in a long time but unfortunately they removed that in New Vegas.

The things I dislike about New Vegas, the bugs and the invisible walls.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
defiante1 said:
Ok I think people are missing the point of this thread. Point is... the game is broken, it is poorly programmed using a system it copied from other games. It is riddled with bad quests, generic and bland writting with humour thrown in without content, rhyme or reason.

Its railroading approach to gameplay using high level mobs, to force you around a linear sequence of towns in a set order every time. While still offering lots of ways to break the quests to cheat and get ahead in ways the game developers didnt bother to try and think out.

Yet... its given a Fallout name tag and people turn a blind eye to it all because it has "That fallout feel to it." My question is why ? How far can a game go before its just shamelessly pissing on a franchise before the fans finially go this is silly. Why are people willing to ignore that they are still copy and pasting the broken Oblivion system into current games. A system that is now... around five years old. It wasnt good then and it isnt any better now.

It's lazy on Bethesda's behalf because of the shitty Gamebyro engine they use. Despite enjoying the hell out of new vegas that engine has seriously got to go. Obsidian is not at fault because they had to make the game with that tools they were given by Bethesda. The scenario is kinda like If a professional archaeologist was given a bucket and spade instead of a shovel and a pick.

Mar 9, 2010
acidstrider said:
What are you on?! There are four choice endings that you can work towards, multiple ways to finish quests and plenty of interesting places and characters. Did you even bother going to the Brotherhood bunker? The Boomer's air base? If you did then you would have found some rather interesting parts of the New Vegas world.

OT: I had no bugs, I followed the story out of choice, the other groups weren't overpowered at all, there were deathclaws that made the game challenging if you did decide to skip through some of the quests.

I don't like the game because it was a Fallout game, I liked it because it was fun.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
Glowing ones Do do radiation damage.
It's true you know. All the time at that! Sure they have the spirit-bomb O' radiation but standing too close to a Glowing One (alive or freshly dead) gives a +1 rad penalty/sec. Unless of course you have an uber-high Endurance.

And how dare you rant about New Vegas without mentioning the invisible walls. Oblivion, Morrowind and, Fallout 3 allowed you to climb any/all mountain with the strict restriction of 90+degree cliff-faces. New Vegas has invisible walls all over the place and in some strange places.

I can kinda see where you wanted to go with the nightkin argument. The thing is, Tabitha isn't the only one who is insane. Almost every nightkin you find is insane which gives some LOLs sure but also maintains consistency. If Tabitha was the only one who was insane it wouldn't be as much of a joke. Lily is more ridiculous but I don't see you ragging on her.

On a final note what forum have you been trolling? Ever since release there has been post-after-post-after-post about how horrible New Vegas is. I'm not saying your wrong and after extended play on the console I can agree that the game is almost criminally short if you know how to do it. The game is buggy but it wasn't as bad on the 360 (unless of course you downloaded the DLC: Then you're screwed).

My biggest problem was Hardcore. It didn't offer additional challenge, it just pointed out which players had OCD. Ironically, the Hardcore run was my speed run. Kinda sad eh? I enjoyed the game but mainly for the little laughs.

Final Note: Vault-tech Vaults were mass-produced. It would be weird if they weren't similar. Which reminds me: check out Vaults 21, 19, 34, 3 and, 22 before claiming they're all the same. They're different enough to get annoying. I miss 101...

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
You know, I was all about to hop on the band wagon with you, calling Fallout: NV an expansion pack and call people who bought it mindless drones... but I would be a hypocrite. Why? Because I love Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. And it is the same mechanic (essentially) as AC2. So I agree with you that FO:NV is more of he same, but if the consumers want more of the same, more power to ya.

I will say that a game like FO:NV and Fable 3 should not have as many bugs as they do. I understand that with tight production schedules in a very competitive market, it is sometimes not feasable to fully beta test. But when you have MANY bugs flooding the internet in the first week of release, it is obvious you did little to no beta testing.