Famitsu Asks American Otaku What They Like

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
?Naruto changed my life! I never used to stand out, or really have any friends, but now I?m different!? ~ Jennifer, 16
This pretty much sums up everyone that was interviewed. Also, it's nice to know that only Japan and America have Otaku. If I believe it long enough, maybe it'll become true!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Of course we are not surprised by this, even if you have the tiniest bit of geekdom you will at least know OF what is liked in general even if you don't actually like it yourself.

one thing I'd like to know is what do Japanese Otaku think of our "decadent western preferences" compared to their own. I mean was Metal Gear Solid as popular over there as over here (yes, I lump USA and UK together... might as well, same language and all).

I imagine MGS would have some unique perspective in the West with the distinct English voice cast and especially David Hayter.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Maddox [http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=anime_nerd] did the greatest and single most accurate write-up of this particular brand of pathetic lifeless dork way back in the yeeaaaar two thousaaaaand... and two.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
This only goes to show that Otaku need to stop watching anime and start reading actual books. And I'm not talking ones with pictures. I'm talking ones written by Neal Stephenson, Larry Niven, Tad Williams, William Gibson, Alfred Bester and so on. REAL books.

Then again, it's not like popular American entertainment reveals much better....oh who am I kidding, District 9 was better than any Sci-Fi anime I've ever seen.

Baltist

Apr 15, 2009
the list of anime is good, tho where's some of the better anime? surprised Ghost In The Shell isn't in that list.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Aardvark said:
Maddox [http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=anime_nerd] did the greatest and single most accurate write-up of this particular brand of pathetic lifeless dork way back in the yeeaaaar two thousaaaaand... and two.
Lulz, I remember that one. Great stuff.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
AboveUp said:
Wow... That anime list really shows that the biggest anime fans usually don't bother watching the ones that are actually good.
I agree most of my favorites aren't even on the list.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Favorite Anime
1st Cowboy Bebop
2nd Gurren Lagann
3rd Code Geass
4th FLCL
4th Evangelion
6th Full Metal Alchemist
7th BLEACH
7th NARUTO
9th Rurouni Kenshin
10th ONE PIECE
Bleach? Naruto? Really?

Gotta keep this list away for Suiseiseki, she might blow her top.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
EDIT: balls yeah, I managed to stay on the first page!
Irridium said:
That FLCL show gave me a headache. Granted it was probably my fault for not watching the episodes in order, but that show is fucking confusing. All I remember is a kid with something coming out his head. A girl who looked like she was on crack half the time. A hospital that looked like a clothes iron. And a jiant hand coming from the sky to grab said hospital.

Total mindfuck.

Skizle said:
no Gundam? this is blasphemy!
This is mandness!
THIS...IS..A THREE HUNDRED REFERENCE!!!!

Trust me when I say that watching the episodes in order does little to nothing in terms of letting you understand anything. The show was created after the Evangelion staff was super depressed after finishing everything and they wanted to make something that was incredibly unserious. So they did a bunch of peyote and had the animators create something from the legible parts of their writing. There is a story when you pull away all the craziness, but it takes a backseat in the show and is mostly there to help tie the episodes together. The show is not meant to make sense and trying to derive anything from it other than "haha, that's cool," or "holy crap, that's awesome" is missing the point.

Eric the Orange said:
well I like anime and Japanese games in general, but I'm confused by some of the choices here. For example yeah Cowboy Bebop is great and deserves the #1 spot (it's the only anime that EVERYONE whose seen at least like 5 episodes likes), I wasn't aware that Code Geass was so popular. Didn't seem all that great to me. And I was under the impression that the FF fanboys and girls loved 7 and 8 but treated 9 as a black sheep so to speak. Also I'd think that a true obsessed Japanophile like Otaku would like less syndicated anime so they could be like "you just like the stuff that's on American TV. I watch (insert obscure anime that's not on TV outside Japan)" and be all smug and superior about it.
You can be an anime connoisseur without being a Japanophile, it's just that you're not likely to find one. Jump manga/anime are like Harry Potter: it's entertaining and has an awesome premise, but you won't get much out of it and it tends to drag on after Story Arc Number #4. While I wouldn't fault anyone for liking Naruto, or Bleach, or DBZ, or any other popular Jump series, giving your time to more than one tends to be a bit of a waste since the stories tend to be cookie-cutter.

As for Code Geass, they created it with the intention of having something for everyone, but they had the brains to get good animators, good writers and not drag it on for a jillion episodes. When you analyze it, it's got a hefty dose of giant robot battles, but the robots aren't that over-the-top. It's got a lot emotional drama and political intrigue, but there are few, if any, episodes where some kind of action doesn't occur. Most people can find a reason to watch the show and the show usually has what you're looking for in every episode. It's like making a buffet, but hiring good cooks.

Well, nowthat I've gone on for a billion words, I would just like to say that I really hoped that the anime list wouldn't have more than two Jump titles in there so that I could have some faith in our anime culture. I continue to be disappointed.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Amnestic said:
Bleach? Naruto? Really?

YEAH RLY!

What, you mean we need LESS desu? That is unacceptable.

But really, would you expect what are probably the two most popular anime in the US to not be on the list? I was surprised by Kenshin, however, seeing as it's relatively old and doesn't get that much attention.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Gebi10000 said:
what no death note? and code geass is only 3rd? THIS IS MADNE.. not acceptable
They both strike me as thing that would divde western audiences. I personally couldn't even stand to watch three episodes of Code Geass and I know some people who couldn't stand Death Note (which I liked, but I also managed to avoid a lot of the hype).

Good to see Full metal Alchemist quite high on the manga scale, though. Naruto overrated on it, dragon ball(not counting its numerous spin-offs) is better at that sort of thing.

I'm just annoyed that Monster is never mentioned *sigh*.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
randommaster said:
Amnestic said:
Bleach? Naruto? Really?

YEAH RLY!

What, you mean we need LESS desu? That is unacceptable.

But really, would you expect what are probably the two most popular anime in the US to not be on the list? I was surprised by Kenshin, however, seeing as it's relatively old and doesn't get that much attention.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Doesn't mean I can't be annoyed that those shit stains are still popular despite having outstayed their welcome by 480 episodes or whatever.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Kollega said:
It'd be... peculiar if Japanese nerds liked all things Western. There's really not too much else to say about it.

And by the way,BEST-GIANT-ROBOT-SHOW-EVARR is Megas XLR,because it's not just about giant robot - it's about hot-rod giant robot with car for head.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I was hoping FFIX would be over FFVII to be honest, lol.

And I'm surprised that FFX isn't on the list.

Also, well written article, lol at the imported Batman.