Fan base insanity

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
After listening to this video I was wondering how people can get so caught up in a fan base that they get so worked up and rage at someone who feels differently. I've been a fan of quite a few things but I never been rabid about it. What about you guys have you ever been so wrapped up in a game or show that you attack or judge someone for not liking it? Or even based your entire personality and life around a show or band? https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=h7Mu223uU-A

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I love Fallout, but I hate the people who go ape-shit anal over this stuff. I want to go find the servers responsible for No Mutants Allowed and blow them all up. I have never been there, but I have heard that they're a rather nasty community of people who screech and yell at people for having a different opinion than them about the Fallout series. So, for the record, they must be shitting their pants over Fallout 4.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nope. I love certain things to death, but I never cared about what anybody else had to say about them.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'd say never, but I'd be lying. I've gotten myself angry a couple times over one single thing, something I don't even really like all that much anymore. Looking back on them, it was pretty stupid. Usually in situations like that my "don't be an idiot" alarm goes off, but I ignored it and let it get to me.

Why people probably do it is you get something of a "fuck-off high". You feel really good telling someone who disagrees with you off with a giant "fuck you" and what have you for a short time. Hopefully that should leave eventually and then you just feel like an asshole for being an asshole. People can also just get caught up in the moment and lose themselves. No excuse, but it happens.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
I mean take one my favortist things for example which is The Clash I love that band I know all the songs nearly word by word. I will probably get a Clash tattoo I love them that much but the most worked up I would get if someone said they didn't like them it would be maybe an impassioned defense or judgmental stare. And that would have to be someone I actually liked or cared about. If some stranger someone I have never really interacted with said that the didn't like the band I wouldn't care I wouldn't give a shit

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
FalloutJack said:
I love Fallout, but I hate the people who go ape-shit anal over this stuff. I want to go find the servers responsible for No Mutants Allowed and blow them all up. I have never been there[/I], but I have heard that they're a rather nasty community of people who screech and yell at people for having a different opinion than them about the Fallout series. So, for the record, they must be shitting their pants over Fallout 4.

Don't you think it's kind of wrong to judge a community based upon rumor alone? I'm sure there are bad rumors about this very forum.
Eh, not that your contempt for them really bothers me. While I personally haven't engaged in the community, with the release of Fallout 4 and the increase in name dropping of NMA, I decided to lurk their forums. From the few threads I saw they did seem to live up to the almost religious devotion to being upset over Fallout and the direction it's taken, but I wouldn't be ready to completely write off the entire community based upon what little I've seen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only thing I got revved from the fanbase was the whole Derpy talked controversy but even then I didn't attacked the people who were against it in any way of form (no angry comment to that person).

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I don't think I've ever judged someone simply for liking or disliking something. I have judged people who will refuse to listen to opinions/arguments that are contrary to theirs or outright dismissing evidence as to why something is good/bad/an upgrade/etc.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FirstNameLastName said:
FalloutJack said:
I love Fallout, but I hate the people who go ape-shit anal over this stuff. I want to go find the servers responsible for No Mutants Allowed and blow them all up. I have never been there[/I], but I have heard that they're a rather nasty community of people who screech and yell at people for having a different opinion than them about the Fallout series. So, for the record, they must be shitting their pants over Fallout 4.

Don't you think it's kind of wrong to judge a community based upon rumor alone? I'm sure there are bad rumors about this very forum.
Eh, not that your contempt for them really bothers me. While I personally haven't engaged in the community, with the release of Fallout 4 and the increase in name dropping of NMA, I decided to lurk their forums. From the few threads I saw they did seem to live up to the almost religious devotion to being upset over Fallout and the direction it's taken, but I wouldn't be ready to completely write off the entire community based upon what little I've seen.

Hmmm...just checking. Uh-huh. I never said rumor. It was, in fact, TV Tropes that initially alerted me to the thing. Funnily enough, I was just looking over the Ruined FOREVER tropes and there they were. Now, TV Tropes may be a black hole of interesting little nibblets of information, but I have no reason to believe this to be an invocation of the Blatent Lies trope, so we can consider the assertion to be accurate enough.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever actually shit on someone for not liking something outside of a bit of fun ribbing, unless they are doing such to me. I'm usually just the guy to shove things I like down the throats of people and hope they enjoy them.

FalloutJack said:
Hmmm...just checking. Uh-huh. I never said rumor. It was, in fact, TV Tropes that initially alerted me to the thing. Funnily enough, I was just looking over the Ruined FOREVER tropes and there they were. Now, TV Tropes may be a black hole of interesting little nibblets of information, but I have no reason to believe this to be an invocation of the Blatent Lies trope, so we can consider the assertion to be accurate enough.
Eh, they can be strong about their opinions but from what I know of, they aren't dicks about it. Though I do have to say that I am surprised you of all people have never been to NMA. Feel free to change that if you so desire.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I'm generally not confident enough to really give people shit unless they start first. That said, I will get rather... tetchy if people start being dicks about something I like without any actual reason to do so other than, "I heard from a friend that it was shit."

I do also have a significant problem with people who legitimately think Draco in leather pants [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants] and Ron the Death Eater [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RonTheDeathEater] are good things. It's disturbing the amount of vitriol they can spew to fictional characters and makes me honestly nervous about their actual character. Well, it would if I didn't have to hold my reaction to effectively shout them down.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
FalloutJack said:

Don't you think it's kind of wrong to judge a community based upon rumor alone?

Speaking as someone who has lurked at No Mutants Allowed (I was playing the original Fallout games and a Google search for tips led me there) I can assure you they are actually a lot worse than FalloutJack's description would lead one to believe.

If you wish to confirm this, go there, sign up and make a thread suggesting in the most mild and polite way possible that Fallout 3 is the best of the series.

Granted, I haven't been there since Fallout 4 landed, but I'd bet money that they are bitterly and furiously shitting themselves inside out over it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
It annoys me when people say that the TV series of Game of Thrones is better than the books, and by extension George RR Martin is a bad writer.

On the other hand, I've never really understood the fuss over the Mass Effect 3 ending. It's obviously terrible, but plenty of great games have bad endings. It doesn't spoil the rest of the game, or the series.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
There is the recent example around Steven Universe. The Characters are mostly genderless which managed to attract the most bloodthirsty and intollerant parts of the PC crowd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVVU2K0Eo0

I even really like the show for "PC" reasons. I think its great they give a male character powers that are motherly in nature.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
GiantRedButton said:
There is the recent example around Steven Universe. The Characters are mostly genderless which managed to attract the most bloodthirsty and intollerant parts of the PC crowd.

I even really like the show for "PC" reasons. I think its great they give a male character powers that are motherly in nature.
I've watched a few episodes and this is a good point.

The bit that stood out for me was the children characters seem to act and respond like children rather than aliens that had been told what a child was.
Two of the main cast had fallen out over something in the episodes I'd seen and it had persisted between episodes.

I forget what it was exactly, but what stood out was that the show still told the story from the perspective of the child.
Parent figures arguing but trying to keep the child out of the way while the situation is resolved.
Adult situations (not that kind) but from a child's perspective.

I know I'm articulating this poorly, but suffice to say it left me impressed.

On topic for the thread...

I'd like to think I'm immune from the impulse to put the fan back into fanatic, but I too have felt the call.

It's like the voice of Sauron whispering from the ring as it sits heavily in your hand.
"Just give in" it murmurs gently.
"It's easy" it promises sincerely.
"they're just latex" it reasons confidently.
"they'll think your spock ears are cool." it lies heartlessly.

Being a fan is a burden too heavy for some to carry...

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
GiantRedButton said:

Is that the Zamii thing?
*checks link*
Yes, yes it is. That was incredibly disgraceful behaviour and I am amazed at the sheer gall these people had. The fact that they kicked up such a fuss that the creators went and told them off only to then rail against the creators themselves and continue to justify their actions was sickening.

I really do not understand how they thought this was acceptable.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I tease people about it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so when I hear that someone hasn't seen them, or doesn't like them, I'll say, "Burn the heathen!" or something like that, but I make it very clear that I'm joking. Usually a get an eye roll and a smile. Sometimes I get a laugh and an excuse, and a few times I get the "Ugh, just go away" look, which I do.

However, there was one time where I was ready to scream at someone about it. In my Lord of the Rings college class (yes, there was such a class), there was this guy that everyone kind of disliked. He was that guy. The one that liked to show how much more he knew about the books than the rest of us, including the teacher. He always talked over everyone, adding his two cents even when he wasn't called on, and he always had this air of superiority about him. I thought I was just imagining it, so one time when he asked one of his questions ("Does anyone know who Shelob really is? What she is?"), I answered him completely, and the look on his face and the way he just brushed over me showed that he wasn't used to having someone else be as well read on the lore as he was. I had stolen his glory, and it bugged him. That's the type of guy he was.
Anyway, one time toward the end of class, he brought up Star Wars and called it trash. He said there was no redeeming qualities about it and that it was just a kid's story. And he looked at he class and asked, "I mean, come on. Who in here actually likes that stuff?" Pretty sure if I had been holding a pencil, it would have snapped. My friends were looking at me and said that I frightened them because of how I looked. The only thing that stopped me from just tearing him to shreds--verbally--was the fact that class ended literally a minute later, so I left and vented to my friends.
I think the teacher talked to him after that, because he seemed to tone it down a bit. Just a bit though.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I admit, every time I see someone hate on Madoka Magica, I tend to get really, really tensed up.

On a serious note, I try not to judge people for not liking things I like, but I admit I usually just get disappointed rather than mad. My response is never really "WHAT?! HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS?!" and is mostly "You didn't like it? Well, that's too bad. I'm sad now."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a slightly biased view of people who hate the things I like. It's a natural human response. The more you have incommon with someone, the easier it is to interact with them. I'm not going to attack people who hate my stuff though, unless they're being pricks about it.

I don't wear my fandom on my sleave though. I got zero posters or merchandise, and I don't even have any fandom related clothing.