Fan Reaction Surprises Fallout Voice Actor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fan Reaction Surprises Fallout Voice Actor

Three Dog voice actor Erik Dellums says the reaction to hints about a new Fallout game caught him, and Bethesda, completely by surprise.

Erik "Three Dog" Dellums caused a stir [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121418-Three-Dog-Teases-Fallout-4] earlier this month with a couple of casual comments on his Twitter account. "There may be more of the Dog coming!" he wrote, a statement not nearly as remarkable as the immediate followup: "I was given permission to release that tease, so fingers crossed."

The tweets got a lot of coverage, as fans and news sites began to speculate on the likelihood of Fallout 4 and how the Capital Wasteland's favorite DJ might fit into it - hardly a surprising development, except, apparently, for Dellums and Bethesda.

Dellums, who also provided voice work for Skyrim, said he was just saying "hello" to some of the people at Bethesda when he mentioned that fans were curious about whether Three Dog might make a reappearance in a future game. "They let it slip that it looks like Three Dog will, and they said that, 'Well, maybe you could tell your fans'," he explained.

"I don't think they anticipated that it would explode like this," he continued. "Unfortunately, my lips have been sealed, because they're very private people. They probably, on some level, love the fact that the fans are clamoring, but now, fans... I think they're digging too deeply now, and Bethesda tries to keep things as secret as possible."

Not that I want to suggest that Dellums isn't being entirely forthcoming, but I don't buy that for a second. Bethesda sanctions a teaser tweet about a new Fallout from one of the central characters in Fallout 3 without any expectation that the fan base will latch onto it like a dog with a bone? Not a chance. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Dellums' surprise is just more well-managed grassroots PR for the studio's next post-nuclear RPG.

Preemptively, then: well played, Bethesda. Well played indeed.

Source: Fallout Wiki [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Agent_c/Agent_c_talks_to_Erik_Dellums]

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
YES.
I loved Three-Dog and Fallout 3 (I know right, how can such scum as myself exist?).
Also awesome since I found F:NV's DJ to be incredibly lacking in most everything.
Fallout 4 will be bleaker if it doesn't feature Three-DAWWWWWG!

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Why is there an echo on the audio?
Anyways, yeah I really hope for a more lively radio for the next Fallout game, because in New Vegas it feels kinda bland and not very many things attractive about it. Though I do have a hard time trying to figure out how Three Dog will exist if the game isn't in D.C.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
SadisticFire said:
Though I do have a hard time trying to figure out how Three Dog will exist if the game isn't in D.C.
And the fact that he always gets killed in my game.

How would he come back from the dead? Unless this is a prequel to 3 where he's an immortal can not be killed character.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Easton Dark said:
SadisticFire said:
Though I do have a hard time trying to figure out how Three Dog will exist if the game isn't in D.C.

How would he come back from the dead? Unless this is a prequel to 3 where he's an immortal can not be killed character.
It's the Fallout-verse. I wouldn't put it past them to say that you just shot a robot version...

Anyway, I thought this had already been explained as Three Dog showing up in a TV series? Or was that just a rumour?

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Easton Dark said:
SadisticFire said:

Wasn't Three Dog set to quest essential so you couldn't kill him? And I think it's again possible that it's just him returning in the nuka break thing, as Darkness might've pointed out above me.
I still like the "you shot a robot one" idea

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
I WANT IT! I want Fallout 4 NOW! ><

This must be how an addict feels. Collectively I've poured over 2000 hours into Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim.. and I need more!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
It'll be pretty fun to see where this leads. Another stroll into the world of Fallout shouldn't be a bad thing, right?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
As soon as I read the title of this article I thought "There's no way Bethesda was surprised by fan reaction." If you have such low opinions of the marketability of your game that actually having eager fans surprises you, you probably shouldn't be making games!

Nice play Bethesda, nice play.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Damn, they bribed him first. To Kickstarter everyone! We must unlock his secrets, with money if necessary!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
SadisticFire said:
Easton Dark said:
SadisticFire said:

Wasn't Three Dog set to quest essential so you couldn't kill him? And I think it's again possible that it's just him returning in the nuka break thing, as Darkness might've pointed out above me.
I still like the "you shot a robot one" idea
You can kill him after you dont need him anymore.

I'm thinking its more likely that there's a "robot"/automated version of him broadcasting... or some recordings of him or something like that. If it's in the Commonwealth (as rumors are suggesting) then there might be a library where they've archived some of his broadcasts.

Or maybe he comes back in a dream....
Or maybe, just maybe, he was never really there. Maybe, he was just in your head. Ever thought of that Bob?

Nuttydwarf

May 15, 2012
lol at fans digging too deep. When, We, the fans get a whiff of something we want, We WILL MOVE MOUNTAINS to find what we're looking for xD.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
YES.
I loved Three-Dog and Fallout 3 (I know right, how can such scum as myself exist?).
Also awesome since I found F:NV's DJ to be incredibly lacking in most everything.
I am disgusted to be on the same forum as someone like you!

In all seriousness, Fallout:NV really could have used some more of Three Dog.
But, like some have mentioned, I thought that it's just him appearing on a Fallout show or did I confuse the news?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I think fans may be reaching a bit but I have no problem with that. Fallout is my favorite game series and whether Fallout 4 is confirmed or not, you'd have to be a bit dull to think it isn't gonna happen eventually. Sooner the better, of course. Who knows what they are up to though, since they recently got the name "Fallout" reserved for a tv series, could be nothing but I would love a Fallout series.

tehwalrus

Sep 3, 2008
Skyrim was great and all, but I much preferred Fallout 3's quests so here's hoping it's not just a tv show.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Now I want to see Three Dog have an interview with Mr New Vegas. As part of his cross country radio station, Three Dog does interviews with other networks.