Fans "Fix" Ghostbusters Trailer With Recut

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I've seen a few of these. They look ok, but most of them amount towards either severely cutting back or completely removing the dialog, which isn't a good sign. The "aw hell naw" spewing sassy black lady character literally seems like she stepped out of "scary movie 4" or something.

I think the main thing you can take from this is that the special effects are good and it looks the source material, but that's really the easiest thing to get right for a big budget movie nowadays.

Still too early to judge. First impressions aren't good, but it doesn't look like the catastrophic "pixels" kind of bad.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, at least we all know from the trailer that we are looking at the Fan4stic incident going 2nd impact on us with the Ghostbusters franchise. The sad thing is they probably are planning a second movie in the sequence, too.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Nimcha said:
What annoys me the most is how few people are actually willing to admit they hate this just because they cast some women to play the leading roles.
I'm actually amazed it took 21 posts to hit the "If you don't like this film, it's misogyny!" defense.

To be fair, it's the same defense the filmmakers will use if it flops, regardless of how the film actually is.

I think Zenja and frizzlebyte summed up my concerns regarding the movie better than I could.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Im Lang said:
I have to ask, how many of the people who are talking about this movie now, generally enjoy big studio PG rated films? I know that there are exceptions like Wreck-It Ralph and really anything ever by Dreamworks, but I mean ON AVERAGE. How many PG, live action, movies? Comedies? Action comedies? Sci-Fi Comedy?

I just can't believe that it's a big number. PG is usually aimed at the absolutely lowest common denominator, especially for comedies and action.
Actually, I would say that R rated is aimed at lowest common denominator. Especially for comedy and action. Revenge is the lazy writer's action story and toilet humor is a cheap laugh. PG and PG-13 is where my interests usually rest because it takes effort to write conflict that isnt deadly yet is intriguing and write jokes that are funny and not inappropriate. Most of my movie library is PG-13. Then a handful of both R and PG.

Another good live action sci-fi comedy that is rated PG is Galaxy Quest. I love that movie. Star Trek Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis are all PG. Overboard is a great PG rated situation comedy. Its actually kind of impressive Ghostbusters pulled off a PG rating twice. Seriously, looking through my movies, even School of Rock is PG-13. The overwhelming majority of my movie collection is PG-13. The entire Rocky collection with the exception of part 5 is rated PG. It doesn't take sex and murder to make a good story, it just takes good characters and conflict. Napoleon Dynamite is another comedy on my shelf that is rated PG.

I may be in the minority, sure. But I am one of the people who actually is drawn more to PG and PG-13 titles over R ratings as I find them to be more creative with storytelling. Spiderwick Chronicles, Jumanji, The Sandlot, etc. The list can go on for a while. I find movies like this to have much more charm and personality than most R rated films. However, there is no rating that garauntees a good movie. There is crappy PG movies, G movies, PG-13 movies, and R movies. For whatever reason though I discovered today thanks to your inquiry that the majority of my movie collection is PG-13.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
WinterWyvern said:
As someone who is kinda looking forwards to this movie, it really disheartens me to see so many people already bashing it. It's as if people wanted this movie to fail BEFORE the trailer was even released.

And yes, I will not lie, one of the main reasons I'm intrigued by this movie is the all-female lead cast of non-objectified comedians. If you think I'm lame for liking a movie for this reason, then please point me out to other comedy movies with non-objectified female protagonists. Whoopy Goldberg is the only example I can think of.
However, they aren't exactly bypassing objectification due to Hemsworth. It is fine if the shoe goes on the other foot, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking this movie is 'above something' that it isn't. It objectifies one sex at the expense of another just the same. It also depends on what you mean by objectified. Being in front of the camera often will make you want to look your best anyways. Additionally, audiences tend to react more favorably to physically attractive characters. Drew Barrymore seems right up your alley.

To be honest, I think female comedians don't tend to get lead roles often because for some reason most female comedians feel a need to make their jokes about being a woman or woman related. Many blue collar male comedians do this too though. But very few female comedians can get through an act without having to reference their gender for the punchline. This tactic unfortunately somewhat alienates half of your audience.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
It's as if people wanted this movie to fail BEFORE the trailer was even released.
Because they did. There were mantrums all over the interwebs before anything other than a "female cast" was announced.

Problem is, this trailer is still kinda poor.
irishda said:
I can't wait for this movie to make a ton of money and receive fan and critical acclaim, if only to watch everyone on the internet freak the fuck out because "it wasn't true to the source material!"
Even worse, that claim will probably be made even if it was true to the source material.

Though I suspect it'll more stick to the "women aren't funny" motif for...some reason.

Zenja said:
No, but it does lend credit to the notion that this fan outlash detected something amiss.
Did someone call my na...oh, no. My bad.

If they "called it" back then and back then people were like "You don't know that yet" - and now this disaster shows up, why not just concede that they were right back then?
Because when you make a claim without evidence, being "right" after the fact doesn't validate your prior stance. That's a borderline sharpshooter fallacy right there. It's like those articles that claim the Simpsons predicted 9-11, or that Back to the Future predicted the Cubs would win the World Series in 2015. I threw in that one because it's about as valid a "prediction," and it didn't pan out.

Claiming that they must have somehow intuited something wrong, rather than this validating their prejudices, is faulty reasoning.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Sure, I like this trailer more because there's less of it.

008Zulu said:
This trailer is better, but, it the final movie will have all that terrible crap in it still. Will wait for the fan cut of the movie.
We don't know how much of that is specifically in the movie. It's not like a trailer is a binding contract.
I didn't like the "fixed" trailer much. It felt like they were just trying to turn it into the original one as much as they could. The original song (which honestly didn't do much for me. frankly I like the dubstep version of the theme song), cutting out pretty much every bit of dialogue, and removing the black actress entirely from the thing.

And in the end, it didn't make a trailer that caught my interest any more than the official one did. *shrugs* I dunno, I guess I just don't get this whole "fixing" mentality among fans. Sculpting a shit trailer doesn't suddenly turn it into diamonds. It's just a differently shaped shit trailer for the same dubious movie.

WinterWyvern said:
As someone who is kinda looking forwards to this movie, it really disheartens me to see so many people already bashing it. It's as if people wanted this movie to fail BEFORE the trailer was even released.

And yes, I will not lie, one of the main reasons I'm intrigued by this movie is the all-female lead cast of non-objectified comedians. If you think I'm lame for liking a movie for this reason, then please point me out to other comedy movies with non-objectified female protagonists. Whoopy Goldberg is the only example I can think of.
Define what you mean by "non-objectified comedian" please, because this term makes zero sense to me at all, particularly in the context of this trailer. It kind of sounds like you mean type-cast comedians? Which if so, doubly makes no sense, because these actresses are playing the roles they always play, from what I have seen in this trailer.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This trailer is a lot more appealing. I would have actually been excited about the movie with this version but at least the other version let me know that they went overboard with silliness.

Zenja said:
Nimcha said:
What annoys me the most is how few people are actually willing to admit they hate this just because they cast some women to play the leading roles.
That's awful presumptuous of you to call them presumptuous of the film.

I don't like it because even though they cast all women to try something new, they essentially made female Egon, Ray, Venkman, and Winston. The spin is they made them all buffoon characters. Ray and Egon were pretty smart in their field and weren't really bumbling idiots. Not to say that these women are, but this trailer is a lot more about what these funny ladies are doing. It looks like this movie is going to be filled with 1 liners and cheap dialogue aimed for a barrage quick chuckles. We might get a brief moment of serious exposition of someone's past just for the sake of a serious moment where someone cries or mopes as that is part of the formula but it looks pretty hollow so far.

Just to give you a feel for the original tone:

Notice how Winston wasn't a black stereotype, he was just a average guy. Notice the not-over-the-top whacky zany atmosphere. Have a look at the original two trailers and you can see an effort to put an actual touch of horror into the ghost scenes. The light hearted tone of the movie is only there to serve as a counter balance to the horror aspect.

Finally, lets again note that they casted all women (instead of multi-sex) because this movie totally isn't about sexism. Just stating that to show how ridiculous that sounds. This movie is totally about sexism. It only exists for the sake of gender bending, otherwise why is the team not multi-sex if we are attempting political correctness?

This new trailer shows no real regard for the source material. It highly suggests that the movie uses Ghostbusters as a simple prop package to an otherwise standard whacky comedy. You can hold off judgement until the movie comes out but I have seen all I need to to know that this new movie is just trying to be loud, obnoxious, whacky, and make fun of the idea of the ghostbusters. Plus, it is a little racist and a little sexist to be honest.
Wow, excellent comparison and explanation of why the full trailer feels like a drastic change in tone.

Something Amyss said:
WinterWyvern said:
It's as if people wanted this movie to fail BEFORE the trailer was even released.
Because they did. There were mantrums all over the interwebs before anything other than a "female cast" was announced.
Right, because femtrums when all-male movies are cast are legitimate and mantrums when all-female movies are cast are not (even in instances when sexism was specifically the reason). Funny how "femtrums" sounds bigoted when it roles off the tongue yet somehow I gave you a free pass for "mantrums" in my mind. Really shows social conditioning when we overlook sexism when it favors a particular group...

Sounds convenient.

I would have rather there just been a diverse cast with the best person being cast for each role. But hey, guess that's just mantrumming all over the place.

Regardless, I would have been happy if this was good. The trailer makes it seem over-the-board silly. Don't get me wrong, the original had its silly components but Zenja's post does a really good job of explaining why the trailer shows a movie that's going to have a completely different soul to it despite having original elements in place.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
My favorite thing about this movie is how all the youtubers that ripped the trailer to shreds had to spout a disclaimer of "I really don't care that they're all women, this has nothing to do with that. I don't care what kind of genitals they have, I'm judging this the way I'd judge any other movie."

I love the society we live in today where such a disclaimer is necessary lest the internet drops trow and shits all over your face. :3

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nimcha said:
Zenja said:
Nimcha said:
It's what it boils down to. Of course some people are going to quote me saying they have different reasons but that's not the point. Every reboot gets criticism from 'fans' or whatever they want to call themselves. That's nothing new. But this has been blowing out of proportion for one simple reason. You and I both know what that is.
Just don't let that distract you from the actual merits and faults in the movie. And frankly, the trailer is underwhelming, the tone cliche, and, except from one actress, the acting lacks the proper energy.

Apr 24, 2008
LostGryphon said:
Nimcha said:
Zenja said:
Nimcha said:
It's what it boils down to. Of course some people are going to quote me saying they have different reasons but that's not the point. Every reboot gets criticism from 'fans' or whatever they want to call themselves. That's nothing new. But this has been blowing out of proportion for one simple reason. You and I both know what that is.
Wait, what?

People, and by extension the online community, blow silly crap way out of proportion all the time. Remember the TMNT debacle? Or almost any arbitrary "controversy" regarding entertainment over the last decade? Do you seriously think that if it were an all male cast or half male/female that people wouldn't still be raking it over the coals for effectively dropping trow on their nostalgia?

Have you been on the internet long?

The trailer looks bad. It looks like something Sandler would shit out, save for the lack of Schneider, James, et al. It looks like an even worse Bridesmaids with some neon ghosts and a shell of Ghostbusters plastered over the top of it.

Obviously, you know something the rest of us don't.
*claps*

That's exactly the level of humour I'm seeing in the trailer. If that's what people want, have at it, but it's not for me... Regardless of genitalia of leads.

irishda said:
I can't wait for this movie to make a ton of money and receive fan and critical acclaim, if only to watch everyone on the internet freak the fuck out because "it wasn't true to the source material!"
Does this work on the assumption that they purposely front-loaded the worst of the film into the first trailer to troll? That would be unusual...

I think critical acclaim would be a stretch, I mean... Look at it. It could make money though. If Grown Ups 2 can, I don't see why this can't.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
Happyninja42 said:
Define what you mean by "non-objectified comedian" please, because this term makes zero sense to me at all, particularly in the context of this trailer. It kind of sounds like you mean type-cast comedians? Which if so, doubly makes no sense, because these actresses are playing the roles they always play, from what I have seen in this trailer.

Non-objectified comedian means... non-objectified comedian.

As I said, the ONLY movies I can think of that feature female leads in non-sexualized roles are Alien, Aliens and the Whoopy Goldberg movies.
What about Rosie O'Donnell movies? :3

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
irishda said:
Start collecting Dragonballs; you're going to have to wish for eternal life, what with the wait that's in front of you.

Or you could wish for a good Ghostbusters remake.