Fans "Fix" Ghostbusters Trailer With Recut

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Actually, ya, that's more the feel I was hoping for. If that was the only trailer I'd scene I'd probably be excited. Unfortunately, the memory of what it actually is keeps me from fully enjoying it.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
WinterWyvern said:
Happyninja42 said:
Define what you mean by "non-objectified comedian" please, because this term makes zero sense to me at all, particularly in the context of this trailer. It kind of sounds like you mean type-cast comedians? Which if so, doubly makes no sense, because these actresses are playing the roles they always play, from what I have seen in this trailer.

Non-objectified comedian means... non-objectified comedian.

As I said, the ONLY movies I can think of that feature female leads in non-sexualized roles are Alien, Aliens and the Whoopy Goldberg movies.
Off Topic: I don't think Juno was super sexualized in Juno. I mean she was pregnant so maybe you could argue she was sexualized because the plot revolved her having sex and there was a scene where a man came onto her, but it was written to make you feel uncomfortable, not turned on. Very predatory. If you haven't seen it I recommend it.

On Topic: Regarding Ghostbusters, are they not being objectified though? I mean we've already seen a clip of one of them talking about her vagina and Melissa McCarthy tends to have sort of crude humor and they often have some sex jokes in them. Sure I get that a lot of the time the joke is that she isn't that attractive, but isn't that still objectifying? I would wager that they spend at least 5 minutes of the film making sexual comments about Chris Hemsworth. Isn't that sexualizing them as well as him at least a bit?

For what its worth, I don't think the trailer was that bad. I liked the look of most of the gear. Also, I don't understand the women cannot be funny thing that seems to be central to this debate. I love Tina Fey and Sarah Silverman and when the movie was announced was hoping they would be involved. That said, I will always stand by the fact that Melissa McCarthy is not funny (although that may be just as much of Paul Feig's fault as hers). She is the female equivalent of Adam Sandler for me. No matter how exciting the premise is, the second I hear either of them are attached I lose all interest, and thats exactly what happened with this movie for me. That said, this movie looks just like her other work to me, so I expect this movie to do well and for it to please her fans.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Nimcha said:
Zenja said:
Nimcha said:
What annoys me the most is how few people are actually willing to admit they hate this just because they cast some women to play the leading roles.
That's awful presumptuous of you to call them presumptuous of the film.
It's what it boils down to. Of course some people are going to quote me saying they have different reasons but that's not the point. Every reboot gets criticism from 'fans' or whatever they want to call themselves. That's nothing new. But this has been blowing out of proportion for one simple reason. You and I both know what that is.
The overall low rent presentation of a much loved franchise?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
RJ 17 said:
WinterWyvern said:
Happyninja42 said:
Define what you mean by "non-objectified comedian" please, because this term makes zero sense to me at all, particularly in the context of this trailer. It kind of sounds like you mean type-cast comedians? Which if so, doubly makes no sense, because these actresses are playing the roles they always play, from what I have seen in this trailer.

As I said, the ONLY movies I can think of that feature female leads in non-sexualized roles are Alien, Aliens and the Whoopy Goldberg movies.
What about Rosie O'Donnell movies? :3

Mmmh I googled them and they look like chick flicks...
I'd imagine they are, however they still meet your criteria of "movies with a female lead that isn't objectified." :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
or they have movies revolving only about being female and about womanly things
You mean kinda like how this Ghostbusters movie went with an all female cast for no discernible reason other than to let them say "We took a franchise with an all male cast and made it all female"? :3

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
RJ 17 said:
WinterWyvern said:
Happyninja42 said:

What about Rosie O'Donnell movies? :3

Mmmh I googled them and they look like chick flicks...
There something wrong with chick flicks?

And seriously, your "non-objectified comedian" thing is about as vague a description as any of your threads about the portrayal of characters is. Why is Whoopie Goldberg NOT an objectified comedian in her movies? Why are all others you can think of objectified?

It's sorta hard to understand where you're coming from when you continually just say things like that with no backing of what you mean by it. Because actors by their nature are objectified, meaning that you're going beyond that definition.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
"Jokes fell flat"
The whole trailer fell flat. You can't even hate it because it's so "meh..."!

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
I've explained why I don't like chick flicks.

And, do you really want me to explain the definition of a non-objectified comedian? Isn't it obvious? It's like me having to explain the meaning of a glass of water.
So your problems with chick flicks is that they're over-exaggerated? That's the feel I'm getting here. It's sorta like hating action movies for the stupidity involved in them.

And yes, I do need the definition, I specifically asked for what you meant by that so that I can understand where you're coming from and we can, ya know, get this thing somewhat sorted out and get on with the real discussion.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
RJ 17 said:
WinterWyvern said:
or they have movies revolving only about being female and about womanly things
You mean kinda like how this Ghostbusters movie went with an all female cast for no discernible reason other than to let them say "We took a franchise with an all male cast and made it all female"? :3
But why is it that if they make a new Alien movie and give it a male protagonist, NOBODY would say it's sexist because the lead in the Alien movies is supposed to be a woman?
Nobody.
I'm guessing by "nobody" you actually meant to say "every feminist on the internet and/or everyone who is sympathetic to feminist causes."

Seriously, if they remade Alien and cast Ripley as a guy, Tumblr alone would literally shit a brick. An actual kiln-fired brick would be shat out of your computer screen the moment you access a Tumblr site.

Look, I honestly don't care that it's a female cast. That's not why this movie is going to be terrible. This movie is going to be terrible because of a shitty half-assed script written by people who just want to cash in on some nostalgia.

If Harold Ramis - writer of the original Ghostbusters, in case you're unfamiliar - wrote the script for this movie and had 4 women as the lead, you couldn't keep me out of the movie theater. I'd fight someone in front of their own mother to get in and watch the show because I'd know it would be hilarious.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
Redryhno said:
So your problems with chick flicks is that they're over-exaggerated? That's the feel I'm getting here. It's sorta like hating action movies for the stupidity involved in them.

No, I hate chick flicks because instead of treating women as human beings, they treat them as women. As if that made them so different they need movies juuuust for them. It's like a movie telling me "women am I right? Babiez! Boyfriendz! Clothez! Pinkz!". It makes me roll my eyes.

And yes, I do need the definition, I specifically asked for what you meant by that so that I can understand where you're coming from and we can, ya know, get this thing somewhat sorted out and get on with the real discussion.

A comedian that is not objectified.

ob?jec?ti?fy (əb-jĕk′tə-fī′)
tr.v. ob?jec?ti?fied, ob?jec?ti?fy?ing, ob?jec?ti?fies
1. To present or regard as an object: "Because we have objectified animals, we are able to treat them impersonally" (Barry Lopez).

See also:

Objectification is a term to describe seeing human beings as objects. Representations show people, not as individuals, but as things to be owned, sold, used, etc.

Sexual objectification is the objectification of persons generally based on their sexual attributes. Women are far more likely than men to be objectified and judged by a perceived sexual attractiveness rather than values such as intellectual ability. Sexual objectification of women is found in media, in advertising, and not surprisingly, even in news.
So no more than normal for actors everywhere? What exactly is the problem then? And again, all I'm getting from you not liking chick flicks is the over-exaggeration, nothing wrong with it, but if that's your sole reason for not liking them I have trouble seeing what you DO like.

So now that we've gotten that out of the way, why is Whoopie not objectified? Because at the moment this is really starting to feel like your "BLIZZARD IS SECRETLY SIMULTANEOUSLY SCARED AND IN AWE OF VAGES BECAUSE ALL THE BAD GUYS HAVE VAGES IN THEIR DESIGN" thread again.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
WinterWyvern said:
As someone who is kinda looking forwards to this movie, it really disheartens me to see so many people already bashing it. It's as if people wanted this movie to fail BEFORE the trailer was even released.

And yes, I will not lie, one of the main reasons I'm intrigued by this movie is the all-female lead cast of non-objectified comedians. If you think I'm lame for liking a movie for this reason, then please point me out to other comedy movies with non-objectified female protagonists. Whoopy Goldberg is the only example I can think of.
However, they aren't exactly bypassing objectification due to Hemsworth. It is fine if the shoe goes on the other foot, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking this movie is 'above something' that it isn't. It objectifies one sex at the expense of another just the same. It also depends on what you mean by objectified. Being in front of the camera often will make you want to look your best anyways. Additionally, audiences tend to react more favorably to physically attractive characters. Drew Barrymore seems right up your alley.

To be honest, I think female comedians don't tend to get lead roles often because for some reason most female comedians feel a need to make their jokes about being a woman or woman related. Many blue collar male comedians do this too though. But very few female comedians can get through an act without having to reference their gender for the punchline. This tactic unfortunately somewhat alienates half of your audience.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
RJ 17 said:
I'm guessing by "nobody" you actually meant to say "every feminist on the internet and/or everyone who is sympathetic to feminist causes."

Seriously, if they remade Alien and cast Ripley as a guy, Tumblr alone would literally shit a brick. An actual kiln-fired brick would be shat out of your computer screen the moment you access a Tumblr site.

Look, I honestly don't care that it's a female cast. That's not why this movie is going to be terrible. This movie is going to be terrible because of a shitty half-assed script written by people who just want to cash in on some nostalgia.

If Harold Ramis - writer of the original Ghostbusters, in case you're unfamiliar - wrote the script for this movie and had 4 women as the lead, you couldn't keep me out of the movie theater. I'd fight someone in front of their own mother to get in and watch the show because I'd know it would be hilarious.
Eh, I'd still be slightly against it if the marketing and attitude towards anyone saying it looks off were the same as it is now, but it would certainly take away alot of my reservations about it. But McCarthy and Wiig in it as leading roles would still be there for me.

I think the only way this would've been an easy sell for me would be Akroyd, Ramis, and Moranis somehow involved in it. Murray was great as Venkman, but everything I've heard about it since has largely been that he did it as a favor more than anything else and that they were the ones behind the great parts.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
WinterWyvern said:
You miss the the end of Alien, where Ripley strips down to a pair of undies that seem composed of nothing but tissue paper? Not that I have anything against that scene in particular, but if that doesn't fit your definition of sexualization I don't know what does.
RJ 17 said:
Ironically, in the original draft of Alien both Ripley and Lambert where men, but they swapped their gender due to the rise of feminism (before it was such a plague ridden word).

Edit. Damn, someone beat me to the punch.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
RJ 17 said:
Ironically, in the original draft of Alien both Ripley and Lambert where men, but they swapped their gender due to the rise of feminism (before it was such a plague ridden word).

Edit. Damn, someone beat me to the punch.
Further emphasizing the bricks which would be shat should they remake the movie and cast a dude as Ripley. :p