Fans "Fix" Ghostbusters Trailer With Recut

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
All this talk, and you've yet to try and make anyone understand without accusing them of something. You've yet to answer anything without repeating yourself and still ignore the "WHY" part of people's questions. Is there any way you can explain your feelings without doing those and talking down to anyone that doesn't immediately agree with you?

Also, yeah, I can watch a chick flick, don't particularly care either way about any movie that isn't some kind of comedy or mindfuckery these days though honestly. And I know plenty of women who like them, plenty of guys too whether they will fully admit it or not. And they can be a stereotype or not, doesn't seem to matter on whether or not they'll watch one. Mom's old guard gearhead into anything that involves tools and creating things with 'em, she loves 'em. Live with two lezzies, one'll watch the hell out of them and is nearly a valley girl and likes them, the other grew up on a ranch/farm/thing and can't stand them. My girlfriend's been into competitive sparring since she was a kid, and she'll watch 'em. Doesn't matter if you're "normal" or not.

And my point was that all actors are objectified by nature of the job. They are stuck in front of a camera for the viewing enjoyment of everyone watching. If that's not being objectified, then I don't know where you're getting yours.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
WinterWyvern said:
Casual Shinji said:
You miss the the end of Alien, where Ripley strips down to a pair of undies that seem composed of nothing but tissue paper? Not that I have anything against that scene in particular, but if that doesn't fit your definition of sexualization I don't know what does.
It didn't feel any more sexualized than when a badass man shows off his abs in an action movie: yes, some will find it sexy, but it wasn't designed to be about sexualization and it wasn't about making the hero a sex object.
And that just goes to show how subjective that line in the sand is, and how there aren't any ironclad rules on this subject. You ever wonder why those action movies featuring bare chested men often get jokingly accused of having gay subtext?

Also, rather than a sexualized scene, it felt a nudity scene: it was sexualized the way a hospital visit can be.
Oh totally. That scene was about literally showing how naked Ripley was against the alien threat.

Also, you didn't see Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Three main female characters, four if you count Phasma, none of whom are sexualized in any way. And that was the biggest movie of the year.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
WinterWyvern said:
Winthrop said:
Off Topic: I don't think Juno was super sexualized in Juno. I mean she was pregnant so maybe you could argue she was sexualized because the plot revolved her having sex and there was a scene where a man came onto her, but it was written to make you feel uncomfortable, not turned on. Very predatory. If you haven't seen it I recommend it.
The entire movie is about her being pregnant? And of course there's a predatory rapey scene, because it's pretty much a mandatory scene when a woman is involved (yet somehow it never happens to male protagonists).

I might be entirely wrong, but judging only on the premise, that's a click flick if I ever saw one! Maybe disguised as a movie that men can watch because the protagonist is cute and pregnant fetish, I dunno.
Either way, it doesn't sit well with me. One thing is to put womenly things in a movie that has women protagonists: that's logical. And a very different thing is to center the entire movie about those womenly things.
Well shes a teenager in highschool and its sort of about her trying to deal with her teenage pregnancy and what she should do with the child. The movie is focused on her as she is the star but you do see the father's reactions and struggles as well. You can call it a chick flick I suppose, but it wouldn't do the film justice and I think most people would disagree with that. My point is that it is a good (won the oscar for best original screenplay), funny movie and she is a strong lead who isn't sexualized. I wasn't using it to prove a point, but I thought I would recommend it as it seems like the kind of movie you are looking for. Its not exactly rapey either, at least not in the way you are picturing. Without trying to give to much of the plot away there is an adult man who expresses interest in her. Not in a violent way, but in a sort of grooming her sort of way. Always being just a little TOO friendly, trying to get her alone to talk about her personal issues things like that. I'm not trying to argue a point with the movie, but its just a great film and it seemed like it was what you were looking for. A funny comedy staring a woman who isn't sexualized. I'm not trying to say that the fact that one exists invalidates your opinions, just letting you know its a good movie.

As for why statutory rape isn't seen with male protagonists, I think this is because the reaction from society seems to be "oh I would have loved that when I was a teenager!" A middle school teacher in my home town was arrested about 6 years ago for having sex with a lot of the guys on the football team and that was the reaction. People treated it like a joke. Also, as far as movies addressing rape of the nonstatutory variety for men, it is seen in a lot of prison movies. Horrible Bosses I hear has male rape as a major plot point but I have not actually seen it. I do agree that rape is seen much more often with a female protagonist than a male however.

As for the other point about whether the original ghostbusters were objectified, I'd say no but I would also argue that the vast majority of comedies staring women wouldn't be considered objectifying with men in the place of the women either. And some gags staring men, like a lot of the things in Seth Rogan movies (him being forced to shove things up his ass in the interview comes to mind), would be considered objectifying if done to women but are not seen as such when done to men. Heck even the stuff with Trump and Rubio arguing about penis length at the presidential debate is regarded as hysterical, but I think if Rubio had instead said that Hillary's breasts were too small it would be WAY over the line. Actually jokes about penis length are pretty common come to think of it, but I've never seen it as objectifying. That all is probably an issue right there, but I think most people would agree with me on that. Maybe its because of the larger number of comedies staring men it feels like less of an issue when they have sexual humor applied to them.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Zenja said:
No, but it does lend credit to the notion that this fan outlash detected something amiss.
Did someone call my na...oh, no. My bad.

If they "called it" back then and back then people were like "You don't know that yet" - and now this disaster shows up, why not just concede that they were right back then?
Because when you make a claim without evidence, being "right" after the fact doesn't validate your prior stance. That's a borderline sharpshooter fallacy right there. It's like those articles that claim the Simpsons predicted 9-11, or that Back to the Future predicted the Cubs would win the World Series in 2015. I threw in that one because it's about as valid a "prediction," and it didn't pan out.

Claiming that they must have somehow intuited something wrong, rather than this validating their prejudices, is faulty reasoning.
Well, my point was the guy who calls head on a coin toss is right if it lands on heads even though we all know it was based on luck. Those who said that it may end up being good initially surely wouldn't take that opportunity to rub it in the face of the (sexist) doubters if this trailer looked fantastic would they? Sure they would. If the trailer was good this whole thread would be about how people's reaction was sexist and this looks fantastic. It isn't like whoever is right this time is owed being right next time. It is a guessing game. Right now though, gender politics is running strong throughout all media. Not all of it is particularly well crafted and when it fails, it tends to be facepalm worthy as it usually ends up being sexist itself. Failures tend to be the poster children of why this is a bad thing to do for the sake of it.

This movie clearly is a matter of gender politics. It isn't like they billed this primarily as a ghostbusters reboot or sequel. From the day of its an announcement "all female cast" was the primary focal point of all media around it, clearly stating this is an issue of gender politics. This movie is gender bending for the sake of gender bending. 50/50 chance that this could end in disaster. But it seems where 1 side wants to say this is 100% fail, the other side likes to say that any criticism is 100% misogyny. Even if this is a prime example of why gender politics can end badly, it doesn't mean gender politics hold no merit. It's always run from end of the spectrum to the other and not stopping in that neutral territory in between.

I do think that there is some credit to be lended in that announcing "all female cast" in the name of 'gender equality' to be an intuitive problem. I don't understand why this wasn't just bring in a female or two onto a new team of ghostbusters. 2 guys, 2 girls ideally since we are trying to be PC. I don't see anything wrong with making them all women if you decide to but I dont think that should be the primary thing you need to focus your press on. Its not like the first ghostbusters advertised being all male as if that was something important to the plot. We never got any plot info, we got "look at these women being ghostbusters! women can do it too!" and that was about it. Everything else as far as the premise goes was wait and see. Most movies when tackling nostalgic material will give you a premise of the plot. Like Egon's daughter and her friends are trying to save him from being committed into a psychiatric ward because he has been monitoring ghost stuff in his basement and has been scaring his neighbors. That is all we get but it is an actual focus of the plot. Not simply "women/men ghostbusters, 'nuff said, get excited!". So I will lend credit to those who raised an eyebrow to that very weak premise. That is a bad premise to release to the public, as it sends a poor message about the movie's focus. Now that said, it is still 50/50 chance.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Meanwhile, people act like the idea of a blatant cash grab based entirely around nostalgia is a new concept, as if the transformers movies, ninja turtles movies, smurf movies, "more movies I'm happy to forget" never existed. Get over it, just like the nostalgia-burdened 30 year olds got over those.
Well, people bitched about all of those movies too (plus Total Recall and Robocop). Hell, people are STILL complaining about Transformers, and the last movie came out 2 years ago.

But anyway, it's sort of bad that in order to "improve" your trailer, you have to cut it from 2:30 to 0:52, and basically all the jokes that are supposed to sell the movie in the first place.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Honestly, that trailer isn't that much better. Granted, the joke cuts were more entertaining, and they got rid of the awkward exposition, but the rapid cuts are downright nauseating.

Meanwhile, people act like the idea of a blatant cash grab based entirely around nostalgia is a new concept, as if the transformers movies, ninja turtles movies, smurf movies, "more movies I'm happy to forget" never existed. Get over it, just like the nostalgia-burdened 30 year olds got over those.

You see a blatant attack on your childhood (as if Melissa McCarthy would personally come to your house and smash all your ghostbusters dvds), I see a harmless movie that will give little girls a handful of cool female heroes to idolize for a couple years. I can't wait to see all the little ghostbusters running around this halloween.
Except people DID complain about those, and were right for pretty much all of them.

It's filled to the brim with stereotypes that would be getting torn to shreds were it any other movie that marketed itself in any other way. Like seriously, look at it as anything other than female Ghostbusters and you can bet your ass it'd be getting ripped apart for so many of the things in it.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Redryhno said:
Except people DID complain about those, and were right for pretty much all of them.
That's the thing though. Hollywood is gonna profit off of geek's shitty obsession with the nostalgia over their misspent youth regardless of how much the denizens of the internet ***** about it. Did bitching about Transformers stop TMNT? Nope. Did bitching about TMNT stop ghostbusters? Nope. Did bitching about every single late-arrival comedy movie sequel stop Zoolander 2 from sucking? nope.

you're yelling against the wind here. salt's bad for your diet
So what you're saying is that don't bother trying to voice your displeasure with anything, just let it sit? Right.

Because I haven't seen so many people in this thread claiming it'll be a good movie run through any boxart that has the slightest bit of something they deem unfit in it and run around screaming at the top of their lungs about how it needs to be removed from it.

Also I think the only one getting salt in their diet at the moment is you.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Redryhno said:
undeadsuitor said:
Redryhno said:
That's the thing though. Hollywood is gonna profit off of geek's shitty obsession with the nostalgia over their misspent youth regardless of how much the denizens of the internet ***** about it. Did bitching about Transformers stop TMNT? Nope. Did bitching about TMNT stop ghostbusters? Nope. Did bitching about every single late-arrival comedy movie sequel stop Zoolander 2 from sucking? nope.

you're yelling against the wind here. salt's bad for your diet
So what you're saying is that don't bother trying to voice your displeasure with anything, just let it sit? Right.

Because I haven't seen so many people in this thread claiming it'll be a good movie run through any boxart that has the slightest bit of something they deem unfit in it and run around screaming at the top of their lungs about how it needs to be removed from it.

Also I think the only one getting salt in their diet at the moment is you.
"I'm not upset! Your upset for pointing out how upset I am!"

joke aside, I had figured someone would probably try to equate "SJWs" trying to alter games with this. The thing is, trying to work to create a more equal videogame culture isn't the same as complaining about how some disconnected 75 year old hollywood executive decided to use your childhood-filtered nostalgia to get asses into movie seats.
I said people, I didn't say a damn thing about SJW's buddy. I said voicing displeasure, not about forcing change.

But whatever, you've made up your mind on why people are upset about this. Some are just sick of seeing shitty reboots being hailed as worthy because it hits checkboxes or they consider the original unfit.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
frizzlebyte said:
The Enquirer said:
EDIT: The delivery of "It's a Cadillac!" was kind of funny, though, I guess.
That only makes it worse. Imagine a silent reaction shot of the main cast, followed by "It's a Cadillac!" Way funnier then what we got. The comedic timing would be better, and the payoff would have been greater, since we'd get a contrast between their silence and her random, excited, unexpected outburst. Dissecting a joke ruins it. Also, where's the horror? I think people forget that the original Ghost busters was creepy. That's part of why it worked so well. It had a weird balance of different elements that made it work. It's the perfect Halloween movie.

I don't care to see this movie. We're getting fat jokes from one actress, and stereotypical black lady jokes from another. Neither are funny.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
It is better but only because they cut out most parts where the characters actually say anything except for the two appropriate enough quirky bits.

edit:

Let me point out that you could have cast Charlize Theron, Scarlett Johansson,Kate Winslet and Jada Pinkett Smith who are all at least mildly good looking and passable actors...

And it still would have sucked with the same lines and exposition.

Never mind the fact that Jada Pinkett Smith would have punched you for the entire black womans dialogue.