Far Cry 3 Gameplay Trailer Burns Down the House

kato128

Mar 23, 2009
Gotta say I'm unimpressed. The graphics look like they're lifted from 2003 (heck farcry 1 looks better). Guessing my long standing ban on buying/acquiring anything from ubisoft isn't going to be changing any time soon.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
You're choking on smoke and you're holding a pistol with two hands? Surely you could cover your mouth with one hand and hold the pistol with the other.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I did love playing with fire in Far Cry 2, but that FC3 trailer wasn't particularly exciting.

I found myself wondering if there should be enough pressure left in the water pipes to extinguish the fires as the protagonist progressed up the stairs.

Also, the constant two-handed hold on that pistol looked dumb.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Is it just me or did he try to push the car forward to start it?

What car needs you to PUSH THE CAR TO START?

That's what I want to know. When a car doesn't start, you look at the ENGINE, not push it.
Angry_squirrel said:
You can actually, if a car wont start cause the battery is dead it's an alternative to jumpstarting it if you don't have the equipment to do so.
Indeed. I remember a few cold winter mornings in my youth when I had to help push my father's car to get it going. Not sure if that was the battery being dead, though.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:

That's what I want to know. When a car doesn't start, you look at the ENGINE, not push it.
If the car has a flat battery, you can recharge it/push start the car by shoving it along and putting it into gear. Its certainly an improvement from the sequel, where any damage to the car can be repaired by tightening the radiator nut.

"The fire is hot."

"I see a door. I'll kick it down."

Nevermind about the car, I want to know who produced such brilliant in game dialogue.

Also, its a shame the interactive fire isn't back from the previous game. You know, the one where you can spread a fire, let it engulf a village, and then leave the enemy to burn inside? I'd have liked to have seen more of that here, instead of a heavily scripted sequence in which a forever burning structure spontaneously explodes every five seconds.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This trailer didn't want to make me play Far Cry 3, it made me want go and play Uncharted 3 again. This whole scene just looked like the burning mansion part of Uncharted 3 but in first person mode. Even the character reminded me of Nathan Drake.

Also, he has one badass swing with that machete.

"I see the door, I'll smash through it!" *SLICE* then the door is gone.

When a trailer for a game wants to make me play another game it isn't doing very well.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:

Captcha: learn the ropes.

Even the captcha agrees.
I present to you
YUGO 45
Push to start every time you want go anywhere.
Engine not starting is usually due to the battery.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
It had me until "I need to shoot the water pipes." Just "It's amazing there's running water" was pushing it - but would have been enough.

Cut out about 90% of the protagonist's barking lines, and then we'll talk. What made Far Cry and Far Cry 2 work was emphasizing exploration and discovery. Red colored pipes should be enough to indicate "I wonder if I could shoot the pipes?" Sadly, it apparently isn't.

Edit: That being said, I'm all for non-shooting sequences in shooters. Far Cry (and especially 2) is about thinking around things, not running and gunning.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
ZeZZZZevy said:
I'd definitely bet on this being an early game sequence, given how long the player has to figure out relatively simple things and the general lack of danger.
Yeah, that's probably the reason why he tells the girl to drive as well, so there can be a nice Half-Life-esque driving sequence like they had in Far Cry 2. But it doesn't make any sense, because why would he ask the person who's scared out of her mind to drive the vehicle when he himself is remaining so cool? Also, why is he coughing when there's no smoke? The fact that there isn't any smoke is strange enough, but why is the nonexisting smoke making him cough? Perhaps he has astma...

Ultratwinkie said:

Captcha: learn the ropes.

Even the captcha agrees.
It's called push-starting a car and it's what you do when the battery's dead. But it sounds like this car was just cranking, so there wasn't really any need for it anyway. It's true that there's a lot wrong with this video, but I wouldn't say that trying to push-start a car is the worst of it.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Does this even count as a gameplay video? It looked like one long cutscene to me, the only difference being that you had to hold forward/occasionally push a button to keep it going. That's no more interactive than pushing the pause/play buttons on a DVD remote.

What I have taken from this trailer:

- The writing seems awful.
- The characters seem uninteresting.
- The cool fire mechanics are gone.
- It seems far more linear than the previous games.
- There's going to be one of those really boring rail-shooter missions.
- The... graphics were OK, I guess?

Somehow I doubt that's what they were going for, but I really can't tell what it was this was supposed to be showing me. Do they want me to avoid their game?

MBergman

Oct 21, 2009
lancar said:
"Also, i shall walk through this burning building with my gun drawn, because obviously i need to shoot the fire"
My first thought as well! ^^

"I'm heading into this burning building, better draw my fucking gun!"

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
The weirdest thing for me was the fact that he is holding his gun casually as if this is a normal corridor.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Out of all the "This game is realistic!" stuff they threw out of the window for this bit, they got one thing right. If I was some mook working for the boss guy, I certainly wouldn't stand around waiting for the protagonist in a burning building. I'd set it aflame and then get out as fast as I could.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Farther than stars said:
But it doesn't make any sense, because why would he ask the person who's scared out of her mind to drive the vehicle when he himself is remaining so cool? Also, why is he coughing when there's no smoke? The fact that there isn't any smoke is strange enough, but why is the nonexisting smoke making him cough? Perhaps he has astma...
Well it seemed like he was turning around to shoot at people chasing them, in which case she kind of has to drive. The lack of smoke is weird, but possibly an effect that hasn't been fully implemented yet (although why they wouldn't for a trailer is beyond me).

It's very possible that this trailer was rushed out and that's why it doesn't look very good. Maybe because the dev team has been busy making something for E3? Not sure. Could be any number of things though.