Farmville Loses 4 Million Players in April

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Maybe people are just getting fed up with crappy Facebok games? Sure, the casuals and non-gamers are a huge market that can be sold shiny things, but they aren't exactly loyal customers and the Facebook gaming was nothing but another fad.

Say what you will about hardcore gamers and the core gaming population, but at least they stick with it...

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
So... I cannot be inundated with Farmville stuff anymore, and 4.4 million people leave? Maybe they were in it just to piss off the 1000-odd people whom they dignified with the name "friend", rather than from any intrinsic interest in the, ahem, "game"? Wow, 4.4 million bullies ejected from the most boring game on earth. Where will they go? I assume when they grow up, they will see gaming light... and play MW2! I mean, they were already expert at trolling.... :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. This is a ship that needed to sink along time ago

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Can't say I'm exactly surprised by this... I mean, how long does it take before you get tired of the "wash, rinse, repeat" routine or move on to greener pastures? Of course, that's just my opinion, but FarmVille always seemed to be the worse way to waste time to me.

richtaur

Aug 11, 2009
Hey The Escapist, please stop reporting on Zynga. When they are successful you guys post articles about it, and when they are unsuccessful they get the same treatment. Somebody in the industry needs to step up and say "fuck these guys" because they are game design thieves and have shady business practices. Everyday consumers aren't informed enough to avoid them, but industry insiders should know better.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
I was gonna say something along the lines of "Good, Farmville is stupid". Then I realised I don't care

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
I think most people like myself have realized that there are better time wasters out there than the shit they decide to put on facebook.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
KiruCookie said:
Notice how shit hit the fan for Zynga when they pissed of the gamers here in what shall be Knows as... "The Zynga war of 2010"?
Heh, I've got something of a fitting qoute for that war.

"You have fought and displayed bravery and loyalty far and above your calling as Escapist's. You have faced the full brunt of an Zynga spam attack as well as stared down the horrors of the Internet in 4Chan and it's posters, and in that I am honoured to have led you."

(To mods, this isn't me trying to be a troll, just a simple joke about how crazy MM was with Zynga.)

OT: Well glad to see people are actually tired of this bloody "game".

Dzil

May 20, 2009
Bretty said:
I am not bothered by this 8)

Except to say that now I don't have to be spammed by this crap on Facebook.
It was pretty easy to hide. I get more spam invites to events in other states, or causes I have no interest in joining.

But I think the real issue is some of these applications go from spreading like a virus, to working as a true virus: spamming people without the user's consent, and possibly spreading other malicious code exploiting most people's trust in facebook (a necessary evil to run most of the page). It may be for this reason facebook is cutting back on the freedom allowed by an application.