Fatal Frame V Coming Exclusively to Wii U

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Timeline of events:

New Fatal Frame game is released, Japan only
A new way to override the WiiU region lockout is revealed, fans rejoice
Game sells better than expected due to import sales
Nintendo patches WiiU, makes peoples legally purchased game unplayable
Nintendo acts oblivious to internet rage, releases press statement comparing importing with piracy

I'm calling all this now

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
novem said:
Also, the WiiU has the potential to offer unique gameplay experiences that are not possible with the other consoles and won?t be possible if all the system gets is ports. So far, very few games on the system have fully embraced this uniqueness but the ones that have are incredibly compelling.
Doesn't Microsoft have the Xbox glass thing and Sony has both tablet/phone and vita connectivity? Don't even try to say "that requires a smart phone". Everyone has one these days. I'm typing this post on one. Snarky people want to call the ps4 xb1 "locked down pc's" but Nintendo forces you to buy a tablet that can only be used to remote their console. It's barely a feature, if anything its stopped me from buying a Wii U cause I'd sure as hell pick one up for $200

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
It's almost like as if they designed this console specifically for this game and not the other way around. Sadly, it probably will be a Japan only game and the wii U will be a pointless purchase for everyone except Zelda/Mario/Metroid fans.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Jumwa said:
Dragonbums said:
Exclusives are the only reason the consumer has to buy any console.
If that were true they wouldn't be rushing to buy new consoles with nary an exclusive worth mentioning by the millions.
Those exclusives aren't worth it to you, but to them it justified the price.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Once again, if that were true the sales of those exclusives would be higher, closer to the sales of the consoles themselves. Much like how the New Super Mario Bros sold so extraordinarily high on the WiiU. But they haven't been that high.

BloodFlower

May 17, 2011
I'm sorry escapist, but since when is USA=West? Zero 2 Wii edition was released in EU and AU... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Zero_2:_Wii_Edition

Also is nice that they continue with the series. I hope there won't be any mayor bug issues/whatever the problem were(with Zero 4) with this game so it'll be localized.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Just goes to show the odd double standards when it comes to Nintendo; they get an exclusive and people throw a hissy fit because they know it tempts them to actually BUY a Nintendo system instead of just bashing it 24/7 for arbitrary reasons.

RealRT said:
Yeah, my own quote works well here, not in Nintendo's defense, no way. Necessity is a mother of all inventions. When developers struggle to find uses for the new feature, it's not an invention, it's a gimmick. And one that can be replicated on its rivals as well.
Or today's designers just aren't up to snuff. Fact of the matter is that the Gamepad isn't anything new or difficult. Why? It's just a consolized DS. That's it. We have been living in a dual screen gaming world for TEN YEARS. If a designer can't figure out what to do with the Gamepad, that's not a fault of the hardware, that's a fault with THEM. But then again, since most of the designers whining about the Gamepad seem to have never touched handheld gaming, I think I can ignorance along with lack of talent.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
novem said:
Also, the WiiU has the potential to offer unique gameplay experiences that are not possible with the other consoles and won?t be possible if all the system gets is ports. So far, very few games on the system have fully embraced this uniqueness but the ones that have are incredibly compelling.
Doesn't Microsoft have the Xbox glass thing and Sony has both tablet/phone and vita connectivity? Don't even try to say "that requires a smart phone". Everyone has one these days. I'm typing this post on one. Snarky people want to call the ps4 xb1 "locked down pc's" but Nintendo forces you to buy a tablet that can only be used to remote their console. It's barely a feature, if anything its stopped me from buying a Wii U cause I'd sure as hell pick one up for $200
It?s a different experience when you need a device in addition to your standard controller. I think Dead Rising 3 offered what you mention, but in order to use it, you had to put down your primary controller and switch to your mobile device. That takes you out of the game instead of immersing you further. That?s not to say that companies COULDN?T use those devices effectively, but it?s harder.

Also, I don?t own a smart phone or a tablet. The cellphone I do have was given to me by my employer and I?ve never had the desire to upgrade it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
novem said:
It?s a different experience when you need a device in addition to your standard controller. I think Dead Rising 3 offered what you mention, but in order to use it, you had to put down your primary controller and switch to your mobile device. That takes you out of the game instead of immersing you further. That?s not to say that companies COULDN?T use those devices effectively, but it?s harder.

Also, I don?t own a smart phone or a tablet. The cellphone I do have was given to me by my employer and I?ve never had the desire to upgrade it.
That is the thing; a lot of those second screen features done with stuff on MS or Sony's side is clearly not integral and seems to have been done in a hasty attempt to emulate what the Wii U does (because, let's face it, Nintendo scares the CRAP out of Sony and MS), missing the fact that the POINT of the Gamepad is that it's integrated 100%. And as we've seen, mostly of the second screen stuff from Sony and MS is completely superfluous, being stuff like maps at best while the Gamepad has allowed inventory management and puzzles at the least as well as asymmetrical gameplay.