Favorite Book and why

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
Sir_Montague said:
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
Sir_Montague said:
I just finished reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams... and immediately bought the second book in the series The Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul... I'm loving it!
It´s a real shame Adams couldn´t finish he´s third Dirk Gently -novel The Salmon of Doubt. You should check it out as well, if you haven´t already. Besides the unfinished novel, similarly titled posthumous collection has other previously unpublished works, like short-stories, essays and interviews. Interesting stuff, really.
You know, I haven't checked it out yet, but I definitely plan on it. I've been back to school so it's been hard for me to find time to read anything but textbooks... But this thread motivated me to take 5 mins and sit down to the long, dark tea time today... Is the hitchhiker's guide series as good as everyone proclaims it to be?
That, my friend, you have to find out for yourself. All I can say is that I enjoyed the series quite a lot. It made my sides (and occasionally head) ache from sheer mind-boggling hilarity.
I'd like to say I believe that that could easily happen with me as well... I love Adams' work, and will definitely make my way through all of his series' in due time.

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
Erana said:
The Alchemist.

No other book has conveyed such wisdom to me, and continues to influence my life.
Its very short, so if you have an hour or two to kill, read it.
I am very intrigued. This will be the next book I buy.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Anarchemitis said:
The Bible. -Obviously.
I like fiction too:)

My favorite book is Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with all the 5 books collected as one.
It's just the most brilliant and funny book's ever written, in my opinion.
Lord of the Rings was also very good.

The books by Vera Henriksen are also some of my favorites. she rewrites the old norse sagas in novel form. quite good.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Billy_Pilgrim said:
Debatra said:
Anything by H.P. Lovecraft if you're a Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror fan.

H.P. Lovecraft has yet to be surpassed as the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale

-- Stephen King
Here here. Though I would argue that while not a horror writer per se, Julio Cortázar does indeed surpass ol' Lovecraft in sheer mind-fuckery.

As my screen name suggest, my favourite book would have to be Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance With Death. Phenomenal in every respect.
Oh yes! Julio Cortazar... Did the aquarium story begin with him or did that originate from some older source, because its concept always sounded so... old to me. I read a few things by him but that one always stuck with me. Come on, you know which one I'm talking about. The man and the aquarium. Every day coming to the aquarium... Yes?

He also did Blow-Up, which was made into a very stylistic movie by Fellini, probably his most comprehensible film.

For some odd drama, try Nathanael West. I was always fond of his story Miss Lonelyhearts, which was written in something like the 20s or 30s and was a kind of dramatization based off the idea of self-help newspaper articles. It's one of my favorite lesser-known pieces of fiction because it still manages to feel a bit timeless to me, despite the setting.

Lebeau's Bounty

Dec 30, 2008
cannot_aim said:
The song of ice and fire series by George R.R. Martin. The world is awsome and the characters are written amazingly well
Dude! Here, here. I just picked up Game of Thrones and am about 250 pages in. It is SO GOOD. Violent, imaganitive, sincere, sweeping.

Also, the Dalai Lama's Art of Happiness is one of the most positive books I've ever read.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
Where to start...
"His Dark Materials" (?) Trilogy by Phillip Pullman
"One From The Other" and "A Quiet Flame" both by Phillip Kerr
Most of the books I've read by Paul Auster and Haruki Murakami
Seconded on the "Sharpe" series
The list could go on...

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Icewind Dale is by far my favorite out of the Drizzt series.
Also, A Song of Ice and Fire pwns all. I just wish Dance of Dragons would come out some time this millenia.

Lost Leader

Mar 30, 2008
George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire is excellent. It makes Jordan seem flighty, long-winded and lacking in direction (this and I am actually a fan of The Wheel of Time)

Brandon Sanderson - He is taking over to finish the Wheel of Time for the late Robert Jordan. I read his book Elantris and found it to be a great stand alone novel, and his trilogy Mistborne is quick, intense and brilliant. I actually like his writing more than Jordan's and am very curious to see how A Memory of Light will turn out.

Raymond Feist - His later books get a bit dark and less fun, but the original Magician is one of my favorite books of all time, and the Tsuranuanni trilogy with Mara of the Acoma was such a fun and unique perspective from a very original culture.

For more of a Sci-Fi feel, Ender's Game is top of the list but for some fun and quick reads I am really enjoying the Kris Longknife books by Mike Shepard.

And if you are in the mood for a fast pace fiction anything by Dean Koontz is great. Odd Thomas will keep you reading through a single sitting cover to cover.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Nightside series by Simon R. Green
Dresden Files and Codex Alera serieses by Jim Butcher
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
If no one has suggested it yet, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is honestly the best series I have ever read. Hands down. And I've done my share of reading. Amazing plot, the most familiar and intricately developed characters I've ever read, desolate and intriguing setting, and the most bad-ass protagonist EVAR. I'm not a huge horror junkie, and I don't think King is really trying anymore, but the Dark Tower isn't horror and was his pet project for 30 some years. If you want a read that will take more than a few weeks (being seven books long, most 3 inches+ in hardback), and want to hear an epic tale that will blow your mind, read the Dark Tower.
/fanboy rant off

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Lost Leader said:
George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire is excellent. It makes Jordan seem flighty, long-winded and lacking in direction (this and I am actually a fan of The Wheel of Time)

Brian Sanderson - He is taking over to finish the Wheel of Time for the late Robert Jordan. I read his book Elantris and found it to be a great stand alone novel, and his trilogy Mistborne is quick, intense and brilliant. I actually like his writing more than Jordan's and am very curious to see how A Memory of Light will turn out.

Raymond Feist - His later books get a bit dark and less fun, but the original Magician is one of my favorite books of all time, and the Tsuranuanni trilogy with Mara of the Acoma was such a fun and unique perspective from a very original culture.

For more of a Sci-Fi feel, Ender's Game is top of the list but for some fun and quick reads I am really enjoying the Kris Longknife books by Mike Shepard.

And if you are in the mood for a fast pace fiction anything by Dean Koontz is great. Odd Thomas will keep you reading through a single sitting cover to cover.
Gawd I read all the WoT books and some of those chapters are the most dry and dull I've ever read from ANY book. Jordan could write all day about nothing but you'd still need to read it in case you miss the tiny plot twist >.< However, Dumai's Wells is one of the most awesome battles I've ever read. I'm looking forward to Sanderson's AMoL as I rather enjoyed Mistborne.

Lost Leader

Mar 30, 2008
Artemis923 said:
Gawd I read all the WoT books and some of those chapters are the most dry and dull I've ever read from ANY book. Jordan could write all day about nothing but you'd still need to read it in case you miss the tiny plot twist >.< However, Dumai's Wells is one of the most awesome battles I've ever read. I'm looking forward to Sanderson's AMoL as I rather enjoyed Mistborne.
I definitely agree.

The Dumai's Wells chapter is probably my favorite moment of all the books. I still get chills when I read it, and I've read that chapter at least 15 times. I don't think there is another single moment from any book I have read (and I read way too much) that stands out in my mind as much as that one. Perhaps the scene with Pug as Milamber at the Warlord's Birthday celebration in Magician: Master.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Anyone have read Plato and a platypus walk into a bar ?

A Ninety year old man went to the doctor and told him " Doctor Doctor!!, My 19 year old wife is Pregnant!", then the doctor brought him in his office and told him a little story, " Ok there was this youung man and he went hunting, couple hours went by with nothing in sight, while going home he seen this beauty of a deer and instead of picking up his gun he picked up his umbrella and shot him, one shot killed him", Old man was astonished with the story and in disbeleif he said, " Thats Impossible, Someone else must of shot em." Doctor replys, " My point exact"

Understanding Philosophy through jokes.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Lost Leader said:
Artemis923 said:
I definitely agree.

The Dumai's Wells chapter is probably my favorite moment of all the books. I still get chills when I read it, and I've read that chapter at least 15 times. I don't think there is another single moment from any book I have read (and I read way too much) that stands out in my mind as much as that one. Perhaps the scene with Pug as Milamber at the Warlord's Birthday celebration in Magician: Master.
ASHA'MAN....KILL!!!! XD

NattyMichael

Apr 1, 2009
Darren Shan's The Demonata series or sergei lukyanenko's the night watch books they're fantasy horror type books and freakin awsome xD

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Necronomicon: commemorative issue
The best weird tales by HP Lovecraft for it's many great stories
also
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King for it's sheer awesomeness

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Isaac Asimov Foundation series. I've read it at least 20 times

one of my life's goal is to read everything he have published...

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Lost Leader" post="18.86250.1696461 said:

Brian Sanderson - He is taking over to finish the Wheel of Time for the late Robert Jordan. I read his book Elantris and found it to be a great stand alone novel, and his trilogy Mistborne is quick, intense and brilliant. I actually like his writing more than Jordan's and am very curious to see how A Memory of Light will turn out.

I think it is actually Brandon Sanderson, not Brian. Either way, he will have to be an improvement on Robert Jordan. The man knows how to write a great plot, but if you cut out the descriptions of the dresses with lacy trim and velvet sleeves...etc The series would have been 3 books shorter.

Give me the gunslinger any day.