Favorite DLC of all time

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Now I know that DLC is a topic that has a lot of feelings (both positive and negative) attached to it, but sometimes it can take an already good game and dial it to 11. What's your favorite DLC ever? What's your top 3?

Bonus question: What's the worst?

I'll start (no particular order):

1. Citadel (Mass Effect 3)- Sometimes blatant fan service just works. The party was a hoot, the storyline was ok, but the return of old squadmates and the banter during the fights was superb. In my personal headcanon the credits roll after the party. Everybody got together for one last good time before going to Earth and dying.

2. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (Borderlands 2)- The concept was fun, and I didn't expect the emotional gut-punch at the end.

3. Old World Blues (Fallout: New Vegas)- Unashamedly zany, yet well written for all that.

Worst: That gosh-darn Oblivion horse armor

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Is is a copout if I just say Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC?

Also Capcom gets my vote for worst DLC's. Characters i have to buy that are already on my disc that I already bought. Eat a bag of shit Capcom.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'll agree Citadel was fantastic. What a way to go out!

Also Burial at Sea 1-2 where great. Love me Bioshock, love me Noir, and love me some sexy Elizabeth femme fatale.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
- Citadel
- Lair of the Shadow Broker
- Minerva's Den
- Tiny Tina?s Assault on Dragon Keep
- Undead Nightmare
- Blood and Wine
- Festival of Blood

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
The Armory of General Knoxx for Borderland's. A ton of content for only fifteen dollars, and added a bunch of new enemy types that would end up refined in Borderlands 2.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
All of mine have already been mentioned.

The Citadel, which I too believe is where the game ended, except it takes places AFTER the Reapers are defeated.

Lair of the Shadow Broker, because Liara is my favorite character.

Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep because I love laughing.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If this was expansion packs rather than DLC this would be fairly easy, but with DLC, I guess I can nominate:

-The Darkening of Tristram (Diablo)

-Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (Half-Life)

-Nova Covert Ops (StarCraft)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. OK, technically is a full game, not a DLC; but it was marketed as a DLC, so it counts, right? Right!? *sigh* Fine.

Mass Effect 3 Citadel. Full of tongue-in-cheek fan service (specially with Wrex alive). The boss' attacks depend on your class. And it has a funny scene if you romanced Samantha Traynor (she's lesbian by the way; sorry male Shepard).

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
- Another vote for Blood and Wine, but also Heart of Stone was really enjoyable as well.
- Skyrim's Dawnguard and Dragonborn, and Oblivion's Shivering Isles were all massive chunks of new content.
- The Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises had some hits and some misses.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
All the halo 2 map packs. They cost money at first, but if you waited a few months, you could download them for free. I've always felt that this was the best way to do dlc, but it never really caught on.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
CritialGaming said:
Is is a copout if I just say Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC?
It probably is this but to be honest my nostalgia is forcing me to say something else.

The best dlc/expansion there is:

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
RAAM's Shadow in Gears Of War 3.

It's a nice little bonus and a serious power trip when you're playing as the General or any member of his squad.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
thetoddo said:
1. Citadel (Mass Effect 3)- Sometimes blatant fan service just works. The party was a hoot, the storyline was ok, but the return of old squadmates and the banter during the fights was superb. In my personal headcanon the credits roll after the party. Everybody got together for one last good time before going to Earth and dying.

2. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (Borderlands 2)- The concept was fun, and I didn't expect the emotional gut-punch at the end.

3. Old World Blues (Fallout: New Vegas)- Unashamedly zany, yet well written for all that.
You got every good one except Shivering Isle on the first post. That makes this unfair.

If I had to pick something else it would be Zubmarinner in Sunless Sea, FTL advanced addition and any additional maps Renowned Explorers. Maybe the Morrowind Dlc for ESO would get me back into that game

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Top 3, I probably couldn't say. I'm gonna have to run with Dead Money for Fallout New Vegas as my #1 though. I think Obsidian made a better game than the already stellar Fallout New Vegas inside that one DLC, with a new horror genre to boot. And for what its worth, I found the story pretty impactful. There's certainly more than a few misses along the way, but its still my favorite.

Worst DLC? I got some multiplayer DLC for Resident Evil 6, a game I did actually enjoy, but even at launch the multiplayer was pretty dead, so - a total bust.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Artorias of the Abyss and the Old Hunters. Some of the best boss fights of the SoulsBorne series, and bundled with some of the best characters and moments. From really freaking knows how to do DLC (granted apparently they royally dropped the ball with the first DS3 DLC. Hopefully the Ringed City will be better)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
The Citadel, which I too believe is where the game ended, except it takes places AFTER the Reapers are defeated.
Head canon achieved!
Fuck head canon, this is proper canon, and anyone who says otherwise probably wrote that garbage original ending.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Artorias of the Abyss and the Old Hunters. Some of the best boss fights of the SoulsBorne series, and bundled with some of the best characters and moments. From really freaking knows how to do DLC (granted apparently they royally dropped the ball with the first DS3 DLC. Hopefully the Ringed City will be better)
Both good examples of From at their top form, and I think the reason DS3 DLC was kind of...not as good is two fold:

One, it's an incomplete story. Both Abyss and Old Hunters tell a full story--better still, they fill in the backstory for their main games. Ashes for 3...hasn't really done that. Yeah, we get a small bit of world building, but since this is all taking place inside a painting and not the world of Dark Souls III, it feels very unconnected at the moment. It's very clearly a part one of something, and that kind of leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. The Old Hunters was apparently supposed to do this as well, ending with the Clock Tower, but From (or maybe Sony) realized that it was too short, and so they combined it into one. I feel that, maybe, this is what should have happened here as well--or at least made it longer, because there are only two boss fights, and one is optional.
Two, DS3 as a whole kind of felt a bit less inspired. Kind of just a rehash of the old ideas. Not saying it was a bad game by any means, but it didn't seem to capture the same spirit, and I think that bled over into the DLC for the first part. But if From has shown anything, it's that they can listen, and I wouldn't be surprised if they dialed it up for the final piece of DLC after seeing all the complaints.

Silentpony said:
Head canon achieved!
erttheking said:
Fuck head canon, this is proper canon, and anyone who says otherwise probably wrote that garbage original ending.
Glad to know I'm not the only one living in my happy Mass Effect world. :)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Extra-Ordinary said:
RAAM's Shadow in Gears Of War 3.

It's a nice little bonus and a serious power trip when you're playing as the General or any member of his squad.
Yeah I'm gonna go with this as well. Both for the reasons you've said (playing co-op as RAAM's team is a delight as well), and also because "RAAM's Shadow" feels like a really well paced act of the first "Gears of War" with more polished gameplay. I love the original game so very much, so getting a glimpse of it again just fills me with joy.

However, the interesting but slightly confusing change to the way the Kryll work is just odd and I'm not fond of it.