Favorite Dos games?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Sam n' Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Quest for Glory 1-5 (5 isn't the best but the humor is still well done IMO... however IV is absolutely the best of the group), Police Quest I-III, Space Quest I-VI, Adventures of Willy Beamish, Heart of China, Rise of the Dragon, Thexder, The Incredible Machine 1-3, Spirit of Excalibur (kind of confusing as fuck but I loved that game), Descent, Quake I and II (detested III...), Kings Quest I-VI (can you tell I was a Sierra fan?), Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen (pretty much the whole series), Captain Comic 1 & 2, California Games II (strangely fun game...), Jetfighter II (had this in Middle School on the school computers), Wing Commander I-III and Privateer (but not a fan of Privateer 2 really), Strike Commander, Test Drive (the first game was fun when I attempted to launch my car off the upside of the loop-ramp... long hours of watching replays), Crusader: No Remorse/Regret, Diablo, the SSI Gold Box D&D series (especially Dragonlance), War in Middle Earth (not the greatest game but an interesting take on the LOTR mythos) XCOM UFO Defense, Terror From the Deep (fucking hardest game EVAR), Jagged Alliance, DOOM/DOOM 2 (I was responsible for that game somehow making it on the entire middle school network somehow in 7th and 8th grade)... Are you not entertained? Shall I go on? I could go for days I think... I have been a PC gamer for a long LONG time.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Monster Bash, Death Rally, Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit, there's so many to choose from!

Apogee and Epic Megagames were really prolific back in the early 1990s. Too bad they ran out of steam in the latter half of the decade.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Command and Conquer &/or Doom, I still play them both to this day.

Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad, X-Wing/Tie Fighter/X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Wing Commander and Dune get honourable mentions.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I really didn't grow up with DoS, mostly because we didn't have a computer in my house until the very late 90's, so most of the DoS games I played were on the computers at my elementary school. I remember the games I liked the most were Lemmings and Gizmos & Gadgets.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Scorched Earth
Quest for Glory (or almost any Sierra adventure game)
Any Lucas Arts game
Doom

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Mostly the old Duke Nukem games. But honourable mention goes to Moraff's Revenge, first dungeon crawler I even played...

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I don't know what it is about winter but I always go back to playing dos games during this time of year so like you keniakittykat I too have been going back to the past.

Top games I've played
Duke 3d, Daggerfall, Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Fallout, Beneath a Steel Sky, Dark Forces, & Dungen Keeper.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Daggerfall, X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, Dark Forces, Might and Magic... All pretty good choices. But I'd have to add...

Outlaws: A Lucasarts game that is still (yes even better than Red Dead) the best western shooter hands down. Plus, the soundtrack, in CD audio, ON the CD... fantastic.

Syndicate: great top down action/strategy. Plus using flame throwers and watching people running around on fire before burning to death... priceless.

Noctropolis: OK, a very crappy point and click adventure. But the comics styling was pretty cool, and I was 14 so the frontal nudity WAS a factor. But the best thing was it had a great payoff for playing thru, the FMV blooper reel featuring: the security guard impersonating Barney Fife, the Power of Ultimate Lure, and the scientist who said "ruf ruf ruf."

But the best that I don't think has been ninja'd yet...

Ultima VII: A groundbreaking RPG that was the origin of RPG elements that are still with us in the best of modern RPG's to date.

Oh some honorable mentions.

Blood Bowl: A Games Workshop version of the tabletop game. And the dos version is in a lot of ways somehow better than the current versions available on Steam.

And several games from D&D including Stronghold (difficult but fun when you figured it out,) the Strahd's adventure games (Ravenloft rules,) and Unlimited Adventures (featuring loads and loads of user created content.)

small

Aug 5, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Tie Fighter hands-down. The amount of time I spent on that game during my childhood is insane. Even when my parents got a new Pentium III computer with (at the time) cutting edge performance I found myself returning to the trusty old 486 to fly for the Empire.

I loved flight and space combat games, and I was lucky enough to experience some of the best growing up. X-Wing, Red Baron, Aces Over Europe, A-10 Tank Killer, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, etc. I highly recommend any of these to folks with even a passing interest in the genre (you can get the Star Wars titles and Red Baron from GOG nowadays). Even wonkier titles like Knights of the Sky and Heroes of the 357th had a certain charm, though I wouldn't blame modern gamers if they scoffed at them.

I also recall a submarine game called Wolfpack. In hindsight it was rather lackluster compared to contemporaries like Aces of the Deep and Silent Hunter II, but it was the only sub game I had at the time. It also had a scenario builder, which I toyed around with every now and then. Usually it would boil down to placing as many warships and subs that the game would allow on a collision course and jumping into the fray for some epic sea battles.

And then there was King's Quest V. That was...yeah...

Well, at least it was amusing, in a twisted and campy sort of way ("A POOOIIISONOUS Snake!")

to this day f-15 strike eagle and janes longbow are two of my favourite flight sims
the dos flight simulators were excellent, they had that good in between of hardcore and sim people could pick up and play. these days they tend to of jumped wholeheartedly into needing a real pilots license to play them.

that said i still loved "shuttle" a space suttle sim from the early 90's, the box came with a 6ft tall poster that detailed every button in the cockpit because they all did something. insane the level of detail that went into it

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
My favorite DOS game? That's easy, "Transport Tycoon: Deluxe Edition". Spent so many hours in that game, with the majority of it involving trying to make my business profitable and pay back the initial 100k loan.

Good times.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Mmm... Tie fighter.

ALL the sierra adventure games (space quest in particular)

Starflight (everyone talks about Master of Orion, yet nobody seems to remember starflight 1 & 2?)

Transport Tycoon... Because that was basically half my childhood. XD
(other 'sim' games were good too, like theme park and such, but nothing quite beat Transport Tycoon)

Um... Shadow Warrior was... special XD

And descent... Or better yet, Terminal Velocity...

Wing Commander 3 was crazy (for the time)

I dunno. I guess I've forgotten the names of a lot of other stuff I used to play...

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I've played a few good DOS games; Doom, Quake, Hexen... but the grand daddy of 'em all has got to be:

I mean really, have you ever heard a soundtrack so goddamn chilling? For those of you who think XCOM: Enemy Within is scary (and it is, at times), you are not prepared for Terror from the Deep. It's mechanically and thematically chilling, and forget about any kind of happy ending for anyone affiliated with you.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oh, dear. Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Star Control 2, Masters of Orion 2, Dune II, X-Com, ... so many to choose from.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
Civilization. Everything else is just fighting for second place.
I still remember the DOS commands for loading Civilization:
cd\mps\civ
civ

The original SimCity hasn't been mentioned. It was very good, and much better than the most recent iteration.
Railroad Tycoon was another gem.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Starflight and Starflight 2. Damn I loved those games. I especially loved how when we'd make stellar jumps, and didn't yet know how it actually worked, and would end up off course. Me and my brother made our first jump, and ended up in the middle of a nebula, surrounded by hostile ships. The alarms were going off and we were freaking out. "Omg where are we?! What's going on?! Who are they?? OMG we're gonna die! RUN RUUUUN" We then made a run for it as quick as we could. So much fun.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Pretty much anything published developed by Apogee/ 3D Realms. Games under their name usually consisted of good level design as well as having at least one or more secret level per episode. Then of course there's share ware. I don't know why it disappeared but for it's time it was the most consumer friendly way of trying games before you bought them and I wish they'd bring it back.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Contraption Zack.

You navigated a series of isometric style levels solving maze-like puzzles. I remember it was super easy to trap yourself beyond repair, so that you had to restart all over. But it was a lot of fun, and solving the puzzles made you feel like a god. I remember liking how colorful the game was as well.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Honestly I'm not sure what qualifies as DOS game, but I ran Transport Tycoon via DOS (or by doing some shit before Win 3.1 loaded). It was the only game ever that I used that way, but it was (and still is to this day) totally awesome.