Favorite hero who doesn't have superpowers

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
-Mod edit: Please say WHY your choice of hero is your favorite, to avoid a warning for low content.

With so many superheroes being talked about I figure it'd be nice to have a nice talk about our favorite heroes who are just ordinary human beings like Max Payne or Big Boss or Laura Croft. The biggest appeal of heroes like this is they're just ordinary people thrown into extraordinary situations, usually against their will, and they still come out on top. You can see more of yourself in a character who is mortal, can't take an asteroid to the face like superman or climb on ceilings like spiderman.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Big Boss, his ideals, his actions, he's basically as badass as any human can get without having superpowers. This is a guy who goes through absolute hell without mentally breaking and all of it is plausible. He's not like Raiden with the cyborg body or Fortune with the device to alter the course of bullets.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
inb4 Batman? And subsequent argument that Batman really does have superpowers because it's the only explanation.

Depending on how loosely you stretch the definition and qualifying factors of 'hero' (such as "protagonist of story" or "main character in ensemble cast"), I'd probably go with... Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Such a lovable bastard, but he doesn't take shit from no one. (I know that's a double negative.)

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Shepard, duh. He went up against the Reapers and broke the cycle. He saved the galaxy from certain doom. He did this all with no more superpowers than any of the rest of the people in the ME universe did(that means I don't count biotics as a super power). He also had a kickass team of badasses who eat the justice league for breakfast.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
The Hero of Brightwall. Technically, s/he doesn't have any powers, even though s/he is a descendants of the Archon's bloodline, s/he can't access any Will powers without the use of magical gauntlets. Also, s/he's a literal Hero.

Well, that's my favorite for that hasn't been mentioned, anyway.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Punisher, if he counts. I just love vigilante image, and Punisher is the vigilante to the extreme! No rules, no limitations, no bullshit, he comes in, he kills all bad guys, he leaves. Done and done.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
MacGyveeeeer! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0t29VMq9gk]

He's my great hero! ... And then there is Jack O'Niell... Ok I admit it, I have a thing for RDA. Even now, when he's no longer TV-fit and getting old... MacGyver was my favorite TV show growing up, I watched it on TV every day after school. Then came Stargate SG-1 to entertain me as a teenager! I guess those shows had been around for ages before I got to see them, Norway is kinda slow like that X3. Then Norwegian TV has been showing episodes of That 70's Show every day for 10 years or so, and once it reached the final episode it would start over on episode 1 the next day X3. Still does as far as I know, but I don't watch much TV these days =p.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
Shepard, duh. He went up against the Reapers and broke the cycle. He saved the galaxy from certain doom. He did this all with no more superpowers than any of the rest of the people in the ME universe did(that means I don't count biotics as a super power). He also had a kickass team of badasses who eat the justice league for breakfast.
Mine was a soldier so he didn't even have the biotics.

Aatolviina said:
Why no Nathan Drake?
Don't have a PS3 and I've never played the uncharted games so I completely forgot about him.

krazykidd said:
Jesus

Does The punisher count? I don't think he has any powers does he?
Yeah he counts and I've heard absolutely brutal he can be.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Superman, Duh!

He has no superpowers. All powers are perfectly natural according to Kryptonian biology, and thus normal for his race.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
The_Lost_King said:
Mine was a soldier so he didn't even have the biotics.
I was saying that to cover all the bases not to try and say all Shepards are biotic and you are doing it wrong if he isn't.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
ChineseGuy212 said:
The Punisher, he kills villains with guns, not pansy superpowers. He is 100% badass.
His capacity to absorb punishment of all sorts and his skill with every weapon under the sun goes far beyond what is expected from a normal person. By the mere fact that his abilities in these areas are so very extraordinary, he would qualify as a super hero.

That said, when compared to, say, the flash, the Punisher's abilities are simply implausible. Sure, you can imagine someone making those shots from time to time or shrugging off a half dozen rifle rounds and living to tell the tell once because such things have happened. It becomes unbelievable when it becomes an incredibly regular occurrence.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The Goddamn Batman.

There isn't really anyone more crazy-prepared without super powers than him.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Blue Beetle, Ted Kord. Similar to Batman, but not overpowered like Bats is.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
If I had to list any hero that doesn't have Superpowers that is my favorite, I might have to go with...

John McClane​

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Pandalisk said:
The Question

Need I say anymore?
Holy shit, ninja'd. Guess I'll have to go for the next best thing.

OT:

"Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper

"no."

Also, his mask is fucking cool!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah beyond the obvious Batman, Imma have to go with The Question, dude was awesome in Justice League, and it's a damn shame he hasn't shown up properly in the new 52 yet, I mean he has, but he's all supernatural and stuff now, and I don't like it.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Gandhi the man freed a country with out liking a soul. ( yes there were a lot of other factor other then Gandhi he still awesome though.)