Favorite hero who doesn't have superpowers

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I'm going to have to go with

Xena
Lara Croft
Commander Shepard (I typically play FemShep)

I'm not sure how well Xena counts, but she doesn't really have any superpowers (even when going up against the gods), but she's Xena.

Lara Croft (it's not Laura Croft OP, it's Lara, drop the u), well she's badass, she's strong, she's resourceful and she knows how to use her brain.

Commander Shepard goes on the list because of his/her achievements, taking down Saren and Sovereign, the Collectors and the Reapers, all with just a ragtag group of soldiers and scientists of varying abilities.

Weeeell, I suppose the Bat Family (all of them) could go on here as well.

Captcha: good morning! - Bah humbug captcha! besides, it's 2 in the afternoon...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
RJ 17 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Captain America, Yeah I know he has the super-solder serum but he doesn't have actual superpowers. Just the best man he can be, in every way. But that's not why he's my favorite<spoiler=It's what he stands for>
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/102025/2740749-captain_america_steve_rogers.jpg
I'd say "super soldier serum" by definition makes him "super". :p
But he still can't do anything a normal human couldn't do.

Besides not aging that is.
Dude's got super-human strength, speed, and endurance. Granted, he's not shooting lazers out of his eyes or throwing fireballs at people, but he's hardly just "a guy in perfect condition." I'd say that applies to Bruce Wayne, not Cap'n. The Cap can easily lift more than a normal human, run faster than a normal human, and hold is own in fist-fights with people who are (or are essentially) gods...don't think normal humans can claim the same, even ones in peak condition (except Batman due to his very well funded R&D department). As Stark said in The Avengers: everything that's special about Rodgers came from a bottle.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
lunavixen said:
Commander Shepard goes on the list because of his/her achievements, taking down Saren and Sovereign, the Collectors and the Reapers, all with just a ragtag group of soldiers and scientists of varying abilities.
Let's see...

Garrus: Former Spectre candidate and unrivaled marksmen.
Tali: Daughter to a Quarian admiral and a peerless genius in matters of tech.
Ash: Very talented soldier and eventual Spectre, held back in rank only due to her family's history.
Kaiden: Human biotic prodigy and eventual Spectre.
Liara: Daughter to a well respected Matriarch, incredibly powerful biotic, and eventually becomes the Shadow Broker.
Wrex: Fearless Krogan mercenary and eventual uniter of all Krogan.
Joker: Literally the best pilot in the Alliance fleet.
Normandy: The most advanced ship in the Alliance fleet, quite possibly in all of Citadel Space.

Mordin: Former STG and unbelievably brilliant scientist.
Jack: Obscenely powerful human biotic.
Thane: Peerless Drell assassin.
EDI: Fully-functional AI with massive computing power.
Samara: Asari Justicar and therefor ridiculously powerful even by Asari standards.
Legion: The collective conciousness of the Geth Consensus.
Jacob: Generic soldier #1, though he has been part of some pretty major events in his career.
Miranda: Genetically engineered human designed to be perfect.
Kasumi: Best thief in the galaxy.
Zaaed: Former leader of the Blue Suns.
Grunt: The perfect Krogan.
Morinth: Space-succubus that's just as powerful as her mother.

Vega: Generic soldier #2, though he is an N7 qualifier.
EDI: Now combat ready.
Javik: A frickin' Prothean.

......All I'm saying is that I'd hardly call Shepard's roster "just a ragtag group". :p

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Samus Aran.
Planets and entire dimensional plains are missing when she's done with them.

Other than her, Nathan Drake.
Seriously, the Chateaux, the Cruise-liner, and the Cargo plane.
Freaking unbelievable.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
I'd have to say Iron Man just for sheer entertainment...

I don't understand all the Nathan Drake posts... The guy's an asshole who kills indiscriminately as long as it helps him acheive his goals, which are basically just riches (his own personal gain). He's a game protagonist, but he sure as hell isn't a hero.

When the final villain asks him "How many men have you killed, just today?" basically saying that Nathan is a bad guy too (though maybe not quite as bad), Drake just hand waves it away with some stupid wise-crack.

So yea, no matter if you like him or hate him, he still isn't a hero

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!

One of the all time most badass Commissars the Imperium had to offer. And he hated it all while doing it. He just wanted a simple career behind the lines, but his unintended prestige kept kept the higher ups sending him on more and more dangerous missions.

He's the luckiest man in the Imperium. And its often speculated he was one of the Emperor's cosmic play things.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Black Widow, love me some spy chicks that can kick some ass. Plus she is Russian, which is bonus points.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of Kara Thrace in this thread. She's kind of amazing. That whole show is amazing, though.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
The Tick is just a muscular mental ward escapee in blue tights with antennae. Plus he was played by Patrick Warburton which earns him beaucoup bonus points. There's just something about a guy who leaps into battle yelling "SPOOOOOOOON!". He is a man who is glad he doesn't possess Earth destroying super powers, because that's where he keeps all his stuff.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Blue Beetle, Ted Kord. Similar to Batman, but not overpowered like Bats is.
Good choice!

But, I'll have to go with Ant-Man.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
All my favourite heroes are without super powers. It's not that hard to be a hero when you have the power of the gods, but ordinary people doing their thing, that's what I love.

Number Six, from the Prisoner TV series. All he can do to fight back the people who run the Village (A kind of brain wash camp) is using his mind against his captors. It works with varying degrees of success, but it's just so cool to see him messing with his enemy's mind until a breakdown occurs.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hafrael said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Blue Beetle, Ted Kord. Similar to Batman, but not overpowered like Bats is.
Good choice!

But, I'll have to go with Ant-Man.

You know, I've always thought they would get along somehow. Funny when you think about it.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
The Punisher, bar none. He seems like some sort of archetype for a philosophy no major philosopher ever thought of. If Neitzsche was utterly nihilis; tic and regarded humanity with antipathy, Frank Castle is like some embodiment of a dynamic view of the sancitity of life: no one who avoids committing crimes against humanity deserves to die; everyone who commmits those crimes deserves to die. No revenge, no torture, simply remaking the world in the way he believes it deserves. And is that crazy or genius? And how do we determine he's wrong or right? All that interspersed between hails of bullets.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
Saitama, from One Punch Man

He worked out to the point that his body went through self-induced evolution just to survive his daily regimen, at the cost of losing all his hair.