Favorite 'Hey, it's that guy!' actor?

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Anyone have any favorite actors that appear in a number of movies/shows but aren't as famous as bigger stars?

Mine would be Mark Strong; he seems to be appearing in everything nowadays.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Mark Sheppard from Firefly, Battlestar, Leverage, etc. I really think given the right character, he could really be a great lead of a TV show.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
The top trio from voice acting, Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, and Tara Strong, along with a few others who are so common and unavoidable if you consume any amount of Video Games, Cartoons, and Anime Dubs, those three are just the ones that really stick in my head.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
It's definitely Sam Elliot.

He was the narrator in The Big Lebowski, the airplane pilot in Up in the Air, and the caretaker in Ghost Rider.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
James Rebhorn (Independence Day, Meet the Fockers, The Game). I only just found out he died some years ago. And yet I still find out he was in this or that, even though I've seen the movies dozens of times.

small

Aug 5, 2014
my latest was watching the movie cube from 98.. and noticing it has david hewlett and nicole de boer who played rodney mckay in stargate and ezri dax in deep space 9

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
The top trio from voice acting, Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, and Tara Strong, along with a few others who are so common and unavoidable if you consume any amount of Video Games, Cartoons, and Anime Dubs, those three are just the ones that really stick in my head.
You're missing Nolan North and Troy Baker who are the go to for male protagonists, not just grizzled space marine types, although they can do that too :)

Dec 10, 2012
So many. Some mentioned already, Sam Elliot, Mark Sheppard. I really love Dwight Schultz. He's had a few notable roles, but I don't think he's had a spotlight part since The A-Team. But he still gets a lot of work, and whatever part he plays he really brings life to his characters, and he's always memorable.

I also have a creepy mancrush on Brad Dourif. He's the ultimate character actor for the slimy, creepy, despicable bad guy. It's his voice; even when he's not a villain he sounds like he wants to rip your face off and wear it. Leland Orser is another guy I quite like, for the same reasons. They were both in Alien: Resurrection.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I like D.C. Douglas. He's largely a voice actor but has done some TV acting. Probably the most well-known as the voice of Wesker in Resident Evil 5 (and a few other later RE games). He hasn't had a role in voice acting that I didn't like to some extent.

EDIT: editing in one my favorite D.C. roles.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Al Leong. One of the most recognizable faces from action movies in the 80s/90s. Always a spear carrier type role, but always fun to watch.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
lee pace
hes incredible in pushing daisies and I feel like some studio guy must have seen how great he Is, since he was then suddenly thanduil and ronan in the space of a few years

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I love it when I'm watching a cartoon (anime or otherwise) or a video game and I hear a familiar voice actor. The more familiar ones include Jennifer Hale, Mark Hamill, Keith David, Johnny Young Bosch, Steve Blum, Tara Strong and many, many, many more! (Seriously, I have a LOT of favorite voice actors...)

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I've found that Bruce Campbell generally falls into two categories when people talk about him: "I love that guy", and "who's Bruce Campbell". When you get into the nerdier groupings of people you start finding people who are aware but disinterested, but that's a fringe bit of the community.
Also, I just had to hit up wikipedia to remember who Michael Gross was. Because he's basically Bruce Campbell but with prehistoric worms instead of Deadites. Most important thing learned? There will be a Tremors 5 next year. So stoked.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Robert Picardo a.k.a. the Doctor-Hologram from Star Trek. Everytime he is in something, it usually makes the ting he is in better.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
It might be an answer that always pops up often in these threads, but Steve Blum just has one of those voices that you can always pick out from a crowd. Even if I wasn't aware of his involvement with a project before being exposed to it, the moment his role is given some time in the limelight I can notice immediately when it is him.

Some notable examples of this happening are Machete Man from the original Dead Rising, Grunt in Mass Effect 2 and 3, and probably most surprising, Guilmon from Digimon Tamers.

That man has an enormous amount of talent, and it shows no matter what role he takes on. Praise be to Blum.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Another for Steve Blum. He probably has the most distinctive voice in the voice acting industry, and it is always obvious and a nice surprise whenever you hear one of his characters when you least expect it. I can remember watching Korra and then hearing Amon for the fist time and thinking "Hey, is that Spike from Cowboy Bebop? That is definitely Spike from Cowboy Bebop.". Same goes for when he voice Rytlock Brimstone in Guild Wars 2.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Ian McShane, Willam Dafoe, Vinnie Jones, Sharlto Copley and Ron Pearlman are the "not AAA stars but love to see them show up" actors in my list.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I don't have one favorite but here's a few that I like:

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
Neal McDonough. I liked is role on Justified, and then Suits. Then I noticed him in The Avengers, Minority Report and Angels in the Outfield. Apparently he has been in a lot: X-Files, Darkman, Quantum Leap, Band of Brothers, Street Fighter the Legend of Chun-Li, Desperate Housewives. Most recently Agent Carter.

Even Duckman, I am going to look that up right now.
If interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAktlOeqg6s

Edit: He has one line, not really worth it.

I made my Dragon Age Inquisition character based off of him. The American accent voice kind of sounds like him.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I have a suspicion that Glenn Morshower is actually a high-ranking FBI, CIA, or secret service agent infiltrating hollywood on some secret mission. He's always playing those roles. Or sometimes he branches out a bit and plays a sheriff or military general :)

They even scanned his likeness for his role as an agent in Battlefield 3.