Favorite JRPGs?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
smearyllama said:
What about you fellas?
Any series that stand out to you?
This not a fella has one:

Xenogears (PSX)

Great story, great combat, and while disk two had some issues (mostly a lack of budget) the whole package is still the best video game I've ever played.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Wild ARMs 2
has bad translation
but a good yet a little bit corny story
and AWESOME music

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Akihiko said:
I'm probably going to be the first one to say I don't find ToS to be that good, huh? I used to love it, but now I just find Lloyd and Colette too annoying and plain(Mainly colette actually, I loath colette).
Well, I think the plot's pretty silly (albeit with the occasional massive tone shift), but it doesn't seem to take itself any more seriously than I do. I'm also pretty sure Lloyd and Colette are totally supposed to come off as well-meaning but kind of slow. Plus the gameplay is amazing :)

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
smearyllama said:
Kahunaburger said:
Tales of Symphonia rocks. Get a friend, sibling, or significant other to help you play it - the co-op is crazy fun.

Other than that, I liked Skies of Arcadia for a lot of the same reasons I liked Tales of Symphonia (although I think that ToS is probably a lot better) and recently really liked Devil Survivor.
...Co-op? There is such a thing? Or is that in the sequel?
I'm playing the original...
Yeah - you can basically plug in a second controller and set one of the characters to player-controlled. It's awesome.

EDIT: Ninja'd haha
Do they actually play outside of combat, or just while you fight?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I've played six games in the Shin Megami Tensei series (okay, just spinoffs except Nocturne), and they've all been awesome. Persona 4 is still my favorite out of those, with P3P, Nocturne and DDS2 following closely.

It's been hard to get pure, oldschool JRPGs on the current generation of consoles. Either they're action RPGs (Demon's Souls, Tales of Vesperia) or SRPGs (Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate). Fortunately, all those games are great.

[sub]Off-topic: Wish they would re-release Symphonia on one of the HD consoles. Vesperia was too damn good.[/sub]

Kleatus

Nov 30, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
smearyllama said:
What about you fellas?
Any series that stand out to you?
This not a fella has one:

Xenogears (PSX)

Great story, great combat, and while disk two had some issues (mostly a lack of budget) the whole package is still the best video game I've ever played.
This. Minus the not a fella part. I cried manly tears of joy when it finally hit the PSN store in NA. So many good memories with this game from the PS1 era. Looking at it now it's still aged pretty good, though the sprite graphics can get a little katamari when there's lots of bright colors on the screen it's still a classic.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Its a call between Recettear' FFIX and Disgaea 2.
All having different game play it's a hard call but I'm giving this one to Recettear.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Akihiko said:
I'm probably going to be the first one to say I don't find ToS to be that good, huh? I used to love it, but now I just find Lloyd and Colette too annoying and plain(Mainly colette actually, I loath colette).
Well, I think the plot's pretty silly (albeit with the occasional massive tone shift), but it doesn't seem to take itself any more seriously than I do. I'm also pretty sure Lloyd and Colette are totally supposed to come off as well-meaning but kind of slow. Plus the gameplay is amazing :)
I think that's their problem though for me. They're just uninteresting characters.

As for the gameplay, since I played Abyss and Vesperia, I find it hard to go back to Symphonia's 'line' system. I managed to get through Tales of Legendia last month, which also had a similar battle system, but I just find it to be dated I guess.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Wild Arms 1
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Final Fantasy 9, 10, 10-2
Legend of Dragoon
Okage
Kingdom Hearts
Valkyria Chronicles

These are the games I enjoyed the most. They might not all be the best objectively, but I loved them all. The opening them for Wild Arms is probably my favorite piece of video game music. It's been in the back of my head since I first heard it so long ago. Although most every game on my list has a solid soundtrack. Square had some amazing music.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
mireko said:
I've played six games in the Shin Megami Tensei series (okay, just spinoffs except Nocturne), and they've all been awesome. Persona 4 is still my favorite out of those, with P3P, Nocturne and DDS2 following closely.

It's been hard to get pure, oldschool JRPGs on the current generation of consoles. Either they're action RPGs (Demon's Souls, Tales of Vesperia) or SRPGs (Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate). Fortunately, all those games are great.

[sub]Off-topic: Wish they would re-release Symphonia on one of the HD consoles. Vesperia was too damn good.[/sub]
I heard good things about Vesperia. I'd pick it up, but this Summer my Xbox is having heat problems, and I don't want to lose half an hour's worth of progress from the red rings I get if it runs for that long.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Persona 3/4. Have no real preference over the other. Prefer the music in 3, battle system in 4, though that is reconciled a bit in P3P.

Anyone calling themselves a JRPG fan owes it to themselves to try these game :D

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
smearyllama said:
Kahunaburger said:
smearyllama said:
Kahunaburger said:
Tales of Symphonia rocks. Get a friend, sibling, or significant other to help you play it - the co-op is crazy fun.

Other than that, I liked Skies of Arcadia for a lot of the same reasons I liked Tales of Symphonia (although I think that ToS is probably a lot better) and recently really liked Devil Survivor.
...Co-op? There is such a thing? Or is that in the sequel?
I'm playing the original...
Yeah - you can basically plug in a second controller and set one of the characters to player-controlled. It's awesome.

EDIT: Ninja'd haha
Do they actually play outside of combat, or just while you fight?
Just during fights. Out of combat is basically just exploration + dialogue anyway haha.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Akihiko said:
Kahunaburger said:
Akihiko said:
I think that's their problem though for me. They're just uninteresting characters.

As for the gameplay, since I played Abyss and Vesperia, I find it hard to go back to Symphonia's 'line' system. I managed to get through Tales of Legendia last month, which also had a similar battle system, but I just find it to be dated I guess.
Haha those battle systems sound awesome, then. I've only played ToS because all I have that plays a Tales game is a gamecube.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Golden Sun 1 & 2 and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. I highly reccomend both series'.

Maylo

Jan 5, 2010
Persona 3 and 4! Actually, pretty much anything Atlus puts out :D

Chrono Trigger is pretty great, too.