Favorite "Minor" Villains

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Being awfully specific, aren't I?

I've seen a good number of topics about everyone's favorite big bads and all. You have your Lights, Saurons, Friezas, Ganons, and so on but sometimes you gotta give a shout out to the little guy.

I'm talking about the minor villains; the advisors, lieutenants, accomplices and even Rank'n'File foot soldiers serving the main antagonist. Lots of villains need someone to do
their grunt work and these work nicely. They can be sympathetic, comedic, fanatical, ambitious, anything really.

For an example, I'll put up this pretty critter.

I've always liked Tolkien's Orcs. They're a "neat" symbol for corruption and depravity, and they seem more interesting to me than the goody-goody Elves. They squabble amongst each other and are divided all throughout Middle-Earth, unable to be an effective fighting force against the major powers of the free peoples. Without someone strong enough to lead their rabbles, that is.

Here's Gothmog from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. He led Minas Morgul's armies to take Osgiliath and lay siege to the White City. Ruthless, cunning and vicious, he represented the coming tide of evil with a good set of actions and a single quote. "The age of Men is over. The time of the Orc has come!".

Sure, he was subservient to the Witch-King but someone needed to lead the boots on the ground.

Share some of yours.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013

These two in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. In the context of this game, Bowser and Kammy Koopa are just comic relief pranksters compared to the main villains. You do fight them near the end, but for this game they are a small time threat. For the most part you follow Bowser in short playable sequences as he gets annoyed by how he was not the one to kidnap Princess Peach, and just having a lousy time in general trailing behind Mario. It's funny how Bowser is a really good character when he is not the main villain of a Mario game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Well, I gotta say:
Todd. Damn is he scary, he's just so cold even compared to his Uncle. That scene with Skyler last episode was one of the most tense scenes in TV ever

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Maximilian - The Black Hole

//www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/8073/maxi.jpg

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Silvanus said:

Considering your avatar, I'm surprised you didn't go with this rather obvious choice:

Or my favorite baddies from the Venture Brothers:

"We could cut out his tongue..."
"With a knife."
"Or dig out his heart..."
"With a knife!"
"Or a bigger knife!"
"A FUCKING KNIFE!!!"

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Orin Scrivello from Little Shop of Horrors. This guy is the sadistic dentist and boyfriend of Audrey. He is also the draw for Seymour to feed the plant. Also, this:

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
J.McMillen said:
Maximilian - The Black Hole

//www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/8073/maxi.jpg
Holy shit I forgot all about that movie! With the trash cans and weird space jumping god tunnel thingy...

I must watch that movie again.

I can't think of a minor villain right now, I'll edit one in later (or someone can just quote me and edit in someone amazing then give me credit for it, thats cool to)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Malone from Highlander: The Animated Series. I really, really like that masked, mischiveous man.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Zetsu from the Manga/Anime Naruto:
A fairly weak character compared to his teammates-Zetsu is a strange plant-like being that serves as Akatsuki's [A group of rogue ninja terrorist's] spy, lookout, and corpse disposal [he eats Humans].

He possesses Literal Split Personalities [White half is carefree and playful-dark half is serious and menacing] that talk to each other, and was the only Akatsuki member who is never shown with a partner, because he can be his own partner.

He can perfectly blend into the background (sometimes by use of a Venus flytrap thing). He is capable of recording events, such as Naruto and Sasuke's fight at the Valley of the End for others to view.

He also one of the only member's to know who the true leader of the organization is and is there closest confidant and plays a huge part near the end of the series despite his previous weak nature and background like status.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Ty Lee from Avatar TLA.
One of the best things about that show was the the way that characters had depth, and the resulting blurring of the good guy/bad guy dichotomy. Ty Lee is a great example of this, she works with Azula partially because of their long-standing friendship, but mostly out of fear.
Plus that little pout she often had after knocking someone out was so darn cute!

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Now, I realize that you aren't afraid of a man like me, but these crazies, they can't stand it.

They scream and cry, much as you're doing now.

I don't know what it is about Scarecrow, but he is quite an impressive villain in Batman Begins, and stole the show in Arkham Asylum. I'm actually glad he's only a minor villain though, because I'd hate for him to be overplayed.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Little Woodsman said:
Ty Lee from Avatar TLA.
One of the best things about that show was the the way that characters had depth, and the resulting blurring of the good guy/bad guy dichotomy. Ty Lee is a great example of this, she works with Azula partially because of their long-standing friendship, but mostly out of fear.
Plus that little pout she often had after knocking someone out was so darn cute!
Ty Lee, Mai and Azula were the best! Most of my favorite episodes were where they featured.

Amon's henchman Lieutenant was great too. He's probably the most dangerous non-bender from both series, able to go toe-to-toe with Team Korra.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
There are plenty of great villains. For example, Professor Hojo from Final Fantasy VII. The father of Sephiroth, he experimented on him in the womb, left Vincent for dead, lied to his son about his mother, and just didn't give a fuck about anything or anyone. I don't think he showed any love or affection to his own son.

When you meet him in Crisis Core, he barely even seems interested in the day's events. Even when said events are likely coming for his life! He treats Zack like some sort of guinea pig because that's all he was to Hojo. Add in everything else we learn about him, and I frankly use Hojo as a scale by which I judge other people's villainy.
"That's Hojo evil."

Other great villains include:

Seed and Culgan from Suikoden 2. They were enemies you regularly fought, but it was hard not to respect them. They only wanted to protect their country. And even fought to do so until the end. Their dying breaths were fighting side by side against you until they could stand to fight no more.

Leader's Force from Brave Fencer Musashi. A group of three seemingly comical characters whom each think they are the leader, hence the name. They seem like nothing but comic relief. Then, late in the game you fight each one of them one on one. Each one is a capable fighter. And the third one, Tomo, you fight in a "Dance of Death". Dance or Die, indeed.

After defeating Tomo, you learn the real reason for their name. They were leading YOU. Pulling you along to find each of the five scrolls and their Crest Guardians. They wanted you to do the dirty work for them. And you were the perfect patsy. The final Crest Guardian was just a bit further, too. So even now, they were leading you along.

Prince Schneizal from Code Geass. Few people could go toe to toe with Lelouch in terms of intelligence, but Schneizal was as capable and maybe even more so. Half of his genius is how no one seems to realize that he is every bit as bad as Lelouch. He uses people just as much as Lelouch, maybe even more so. But because he does so with a smile and a bit of humble charm, everyone thinks he's some great noble and gentle man. In reality, people are easier to use if they think you are so noble.

As well as several others which have been mentioned. 20 and 21 are the best. And Team Azula is great!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010

GINYU FORCE RULES, GINYU FORCE RULES, TOKUSENTAI! The Ginyu Force, of course. Specifically, I love the Ocean Dub version of them. The name's recoome, it rhymes with doom, and you're gonna be hurtin' all too soon!

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
drummodino said:
Little Woodsman said:
Ty Lee from Avatar TLA.
Ty Lee, Mai and Azula were the best! Most of my favorite episodes were where they featured.

Amon's henchman Lieutenant was great too. He's probably the most dangerous non-bender from both series, able to go toe-to-toe with Team Korra.

Hee hee, yeah. Whenever someone asks what my favorite episode is I always say "Fire Nation Va...Uhh, I mean Boiling Rock Part II."
(Of course *that* part in Boiling Rock II was probably my favorite Ty Lee moment ever.....)

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Little Woodsman said:
Hee hee, yeah. Whenever someone asks what my favorite episode is I always say "Fire Nation Va...Uhh, I mean Boiling Rock Part II."
(Of course *that* part in Boiling Rock II was probably my favorite Ty Lee moment ever.....)
That's everyone's favorite Ty Lee moment :p. Boiling Rock was the best.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
drummodino said:
Little Woodsman said:
Ty Lee from Avatar TLA.

That poor dude can't catch a break.. he was awesome at the start but by the end the guy was just getting stepped on by everyone... I hope he makes a pop up in the new season. even a cameo to show that the guy's moved on with his life. He deserves it.